The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 24 February 2014, 12:35 PM   #1
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Elementary question of chrono functionality?

Take the 5170 for example, it incorporates a scale to measure heart rate, ideally this is a precision instrument with the expectation of accuracy?

My question is this:
If you are a Doctor & would like to utilize the functionality of your precision wrist tool to some degree of accuracy, which is designed to measure heart rate, how exactly do you press the start button (located on your left wrist) after you have located the patients pulse point (using your right hand), without removing your hand from the patients wrist/ pulse point?

I ask because a pulse point can often be a very tricky thing to locate, depending on the patients fitness & condition.

Or

does the concensus feel there should be no expectation of using this watch in such a fashion?

Old 24 February 2014, 12:45 PM   #2
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
Very interesting questions... There are two doctors on TRF that have owned th 5170 at some point... I look forward to one of them answering!

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

"Heh, heh, heh..." - Michael Kilyung
FremStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2014, 12:52 PM   #3
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I can find my pulse easily with my left hand touching my right wrist, but I'm not a doctor I'm an engineer ;)
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2014, 01:03 PM   #4
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
I'm not a doctor nor do I own a Patek chronograph but if I had to use that scale on it I'd do the following.

Provided that my watch is on my left wrist (where it always is), I'd use my left fingers to find my patient's pulse and while holding my fingers on his neck I'd use my right hand to start the chronograph...I don't know if there's anything that would make this go wrong but, again, I'm far from being qualified for this...
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2014, 03:33 PM   #5
tom2517
"TRF" Member

I would think they will take the watch off the wrist.......makes it easier. If not, it's still doable.

But I agree with you, probably nobody uses it in this fashion.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2014, 04:22 PM   #6
watch-guy.com
Banned

Use a pulseometer to measure the pulse rate and use the 5170 to impress the patient,

nurse or medical student

Never seen anyone use their watch to take a pulse in the last 15 years!

Regards

Julian

( but yes, I would remove the watch from my wrist first if I was going to use any mechanical watch)

Last edited by watch-guy.com; 24 February 2014 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: extra
watch-guy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2014, 07:58 PM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I can never seem to find my pulse but I'm pretty sure I'm alive.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2014, 09:12 PM   #8
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Don't make sure assumptions Neil, you're not even a doctor...
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2014, 09:24 PM   #9
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
ask the patient or use your tongue.
Old 25 February 2014, 02:07 AM   #10
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post
I'm not a doctor nor do I own a Patek chronograph but if I had to use that scale on it I'd do the following.

Provided that my watch is on my left wrist (where it always is), I'd use my left fingers to find my patient's pulse and while holding my fingers on his neck I'd use my right hand to start the chronograph...I don't know if there's anything that would make this go wrong but, again, I'm far from being qualified for this...
Carl i would be using the wrist rather than the neck but that would certainly solve the equation… i am not certain if using my left or right hand is not without some consequence in the diagnosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
I would think they will take the watch off the wrist.......makes it easier. If not, it's still doable.

But I agree with you, probably nobody uses it in this fashion.
absolutely would be effective…. alas for me this would surely end badly with dropping it or forgetting it :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iazrollie View Post
ask the patient or use your tongue.
all good options... the last option being especially interesting, if your using a neck pulse point there could be an issue of long hair obstructing the view of your watch… then of course there may be that stinging sensation across the side of your face, perhaps causing blurred vision from the sudden objection to that particular method

i am curious because, i have an interest in alternative medicine as a possible 2nd career option for me, pulse taking & observation of the tongue & eyes are significant parts of the diagnosis…

as a point of information for those unfamiliar, in Chinese medicine, the pulse is taken with 3 fingers on the wrist and an expert practitioner of this pulse taking can diagnose a persons ailments with remarkable, precision detail and accuracy … each of the 3 fingers are registering unique qualities in the pulse.
Old 25 February 2014, 02:44 AM   #11
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremStar View Post
Very interesting questions... There are two doctors on TRF that have owned th 5170 at some point... I look forward to one of them answering!
it would be interesting to know if they rely on their watch for patient assessment

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I can find my pulse easily with my left hand touching my right wrist, but I'm not a doctor I'm an engineer ;)
engineers always bring sound logic and reasoning to a discussion, a required counterpoint
when asked if the glass was half full or empty the engineer simply said it was twice as big as it needed to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by watch-guy.com View Post
nurse or medical student

Never seen anyone use their watch to take a pulse in the last 15 years!

Regards

Julian

( but yes, I would remove the watch from my wrist first if I was going to use any mechanical watch)
i guess this is similar to divers giving in to dive computers rather than the Submariners
i have romanticized that by going to a mechanical watches we made a choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
a reason to celebrate
Old 25 February 2014, 03:57 AM   #12
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Carl i would be using the wrist rather than the neck but that would certainly solve the equation… i am not certain if using my left or right hand is not without some consequence in the diagnosis.

absolutely would be effective…. alas for me this would surely end badly with dropping it or forgetting it :)

all good options... the last option being especially interesting, if your using a neck pulse point there could be an issue of long hair obstructing the view of your watch… then of course there may be that stinging sensation across the side of your face, perhaps causing blurred vision from the sudden objection to that particular method

i am curious because, i have an interest in alternative medicine as a possible 2nd career option for me, pulse taking & observation of the tongue & eyes are significant parts of the diagnosis…

as a point of information for those unfamiliar, in Chinese medicine, the pulse is taken with 3 fingers on the wrist and an expert practitioner of this pulse taking can diagnose a persons ailments with remarkable, precision detail and accuracy … each of the 3 fingers are registering unique qualities in the pulse.

Use your left hand to find the pulse and your right hand to depress the chrono. Or, wear the watch on your right hand, find pulse with right hand and then depress chrono with left hand.
Old 25 February 2014, 04:50 AM   #13
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iazrollie View Post
Use your left hand to find the pulse and your right hand to depress the chrono. Or, wear the watch on your right hand, find pulse with right hand and then depress chrono with left hand.
Agree this is best answer, i think Carl may have beat you to it

It is definitely a workable solution, its only slight compromise is that your watch hand is not free to move about while trying to read the time. Ie bring it closer or farther for your vision to focus or to a lesser degree just simply being able to freely turn your wrist to the light or out of the glare. With practice, im sure working with it in this fashion would become second nature.
Old 25 February 2014, 05:30 AM   #14
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
I think I'd keep the chrono second hand stopped at about 50 seconds, then when needing to take a pulse set the chrono going and start counting when the chrono reached zero. Either that or just take the watch off.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2014, 05:43 AM   #15
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Take the 5170 for example, it incorporates a scale to measure heart rate, ideally this is a precision instrument with the expectation of accuracy?

My question is this:
If you are a Doctor & would like to utilize the functionality of your precision wrist tool to some degree of accuracy, which is designed to measure heart rate, how exactly do you press the start button (located on your left wrist) after you have located the patients pulse point (using your right hand), without removing your hand from the patients wrist/ pulse point?

I ask because a pulse point can often be a very tricky thing to locate, depending on the patients fitness & condition.

Or

does the concensus feel there should be no expectation of using this watch in such a fashion?

A doctor doesn't take your pulse anymore. Ask his/her nurse if she/he uses the doctor's watch to take patients' pulses!