The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 24 February 2014, 08:49 PM   #1
ObscureLight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Holy Trinity
Price Comparison of Pateks in Asia

Hi, I will be traveling through Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore. I was wondering if anyone has input on where I can get the best deals out of these 3 countries. I will be visiting their capitals. Thanks!

Sorry for another ignorant question but for these countries are they duty free and tax free? If they aren't tax free is there a tax refund system such as VAT refund in Europe. Thanks so much! I have never been to these places before. Would I be able to get them to budge on the sticker price by any chance?
ObscureLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2014, 08:55 PM   #2
Oryx
"TRF" Member

there will be lots of scope for negotiation on prices - however it is normally the case that the sticker price will be over inflated and then the discount will bring the price down close to the rrp in the UK / Swiss.

Call the PP boutique in Geneva and get the net prices (i.e rrp less the 8% tax refund). You should then use this as a benchmark price and aim to obtain a better price than this.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2014, 09:08 PM   #3
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureLight View Post
Hi, I will be traveling through Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore. I was wondering if anyone has input on where I can get the best deals out of these 3 countries. I will be visiting their capitals. Thanks!

Sorry for another ignorant question but for these countries are they duty free and tax free? If they aren't tax free is there a tax refund system such as VAT refund in Europe. Thanks so much! I have never been to these places before. Would I be able to get them to budge on the sticker price by any chance?
Everything in Asia is negotiable, Singapore should have the best selections out of these 3 countries, hope you find something you like.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2014, 10:03 PM   #4
El118
"TRF" Member

Malaysia should be a good place for bargain with weak ringgit.i know the ADs are still using old conversion rate.
Old 24 February 2014, 11:57 PM   #5
ObscureLight
"TRF" Member

Any pointers that you guys can give on haggling? I am not the best when it comes to it. Every time I think I got a good deal on something in Asia I find out later that I got ripped off Maybe start at 10% off sticker price? Thanks
Old 25 February 2014, 12:11 AM   #6
el1125
Banned

From my experience in Asia, 10% off is what you can expect from Patek ADs.
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2014, 12:21 AM   #7
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureLight View Post
Any pointers that you guys can give on haggling? I am not the best when it comes to it. Every time I think I got a good deal on something in Asia I find out later that I got ripped off Maybe start at 10% off sticker price? Thanks
You need to establish the best price globally for any specific model you have in mind - start with either the Geneva or London boutique price less the tax refund and use that as your guide.

You should then calculate any discount versus that price.

There is no point in trying to get a 10% discount if the tag price is 20% more than the price you would pay in Europe.

Due to discounts being the cultural norm in some countries - tag prices are inflated so that dealers can offer a discount to induce customers. When infact all they are doing is removing the additional mark up and agreeing a sale at the normal MSRP.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2014, 12:26 AM   #8
El118
"TRF" Member

I have checked between Malaysia and Singapore. Singapore seem to have higher list price (probably due to stronger exchange rate)

Discount wise, Msia Gold model about 15%, Steel 5% max.
Singapore about 10% and 5% respectively. ( i didn't press for more, just asking)
Old 25 February 2014, 11:26 AM   #9
ObscureLight
"TRF" Member

So the best deals are in London and Geneva?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 25 February 2014, 01:34 PM   #10
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Since Geneva is the Patek salon and they don't discount, I would use that as your base price point for comparison. The retail price for Patek watches that has been around more than 2-3 years is higher in SE Asia compared to Geneva. The new 2013 watches retail for less in SE Asia than Geneva.

Go and compare the price of the 5170J vs. 5170G in SE Asia. In Europe and North America, the 5170G retail price is higher. In SE Asia, it is the reverse.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2014, 03:01 PM   #11
ObscureLight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Since Geneva is the Patek salon and they don't discount, I would use that as your base price point for comparison. The retail price for Patek watches that has been around more than 2-3 years is higher in SE Asia compared to Geneva. The new 2013 watches retail for less in SE Asia than Geneva.

Go and compare the price of the 5170J vs. 5170G in SE Asia. In Europe and North America, the 5170G retail price is higher. In SE Asia, it is the reverse.
Oh that's interesting. I am actually hoping to find the 5726/1A-010. The white nautilus with moonphase and calendar. Fingers crossed that I can get a good price

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 25 February 2014, 04:07 PM   #12
kurtztan
"TRF" Member

Malaysia is tax free for watches and no refund.
Singapore there is a 7% tax and you can get back 6% tax refund for amount above 10k at the airport.
http://www.globalblue.com/customer-s...nd-calculator/

The Patek AD's in Singapore/Malaysia are Hour Glass and Cortina.
Not all outlets have Patek so refer to the website.
http://www.patek.com/contents/defaul...dretailer.html

The selection is quite limited, therefore if you are looking specifically for 5726/1A-010 you may want to call the AD one by one and see if they have it and they will also tell you the retail price but not discount over the phone.
http://www.cortinawatch.com/en/boutiques.php?o=all
For Hour Glass, you have to google the contact number of the outlet.

As highlighted by the rest, you will get a better deal in Malaysia but the choices there are very limited.
kurtztan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2014, 07:46 PM   #13
waspy1
Banned

The good thing about Malaysia is that you can import any watch tax free from any country into Malaysia. Great when buying from grey sellers but not of any benefit when buying from an AD in country as the local price is pretty much the same in my experience even though there is no tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote