The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 March 2014, 10:29 PM   #1
Jabberjaw
Banned

Please help in directing me to a new pp

Ok Mates, here it is... I am looking to spend no more than 50K (+- 10K) for another PP. This will be my last one. I currently have the 5167 on rubber and it is probably the best sports watch, all purpose PP I have ever owned. After combing the previous posts I have narrowed my choices to the following pieces, but want to make sure I haven't left any potential suitors out of the lineup. I am only interested in white gold and know that everyone's extensive knowledge can only help me choose what will be my last PP. BTW, I am looking to purchase new since I want my name on the certificate. I plan on passing the watch down several years down the road which is one reason for this.

5205 - Nice, but not thrilled with the dial choices. Afraid that they will get washed out at night and I will have difficultly reading them.

5146G cream - Top contender, however I am concerned that it may be too modern of a look. Dial is not too cluttered.

5396G - Very nice. Somewhat thicker than the 5146 and the bezel could be prone to scratching easily (esp. with the white gold). Has the traditional PP look but no need for the 24 hour indicator.

3940/5140 - Both exceptional watches that embolden the PP look, but would have to buy pre-owned. I could buy new, but given the list price on the 5140 would save a great deal buying pre-owned on this one especially. Obviously, I would have to buy the 3940 pre-owned. Main concern is that both dials on these pieces seem cluttered to me and I like to keep things somewhat simple. The price on preowned does not concern me but would I be content with the clutter ?

So, did I leave anything out ? The Calatrava line is also appealing but with my 5167 sharing the same movement and the desire for something different, I decided on the complication route. Any thoughts would be appreciated and if I have left off any references please enlighten me. Thanks as always !
Jabberjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 10:50 PM   #2
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
You haven't mentioned size constraints (i.e. whether 42mm diameter is too big), but your 50+10 budget gets you perilously close to 5070 territory……..well worth a look, and a great investment for the next generation I reckon!

Obviously not your name on the COA I realise.
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 11:03 PM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I would choose the 3940, I also worry about dial clutter but this PC is well balanced.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 11:05 PM   #4
Jabberjaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
You haven't mentioned size constraints (i.e. whether 42mm diameter is too big), but your 50+10 budget gets you perilously close to 5070 territory……..well worth a look, and a great investment for the next generation I reckon!

Obviously not your name on the COA I realise.
Trying to keep the size from 37mm - 40mm max. 50/70 would work also (my AD will discount some)
Jabberjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 11:08 PM   #5
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Understood on the size. Snap up a 5960 before the last ones disappear, as they have been discontinued?
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2014, 05:29 PM   #6
PatekCollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
Understood on the size. Snap up a 5960 before the last ones disappear, as they have been discontinued?

Instagram: @PatekCollector
PatekCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2014, 07:20 PM   #7
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberjaw View Post
So, did I leave anything out ? The Calatrava line is also appealing but with my 5167 sharing the same movement and the desire for something different, I decided on the complication route. Any thoughts would be appreciated and if I have left off any references please enlighten me. Thanks as always !
You can also purchase a Calatrava with manual movement (Caliber 215), like the 5119, 5120, 5196 or the 5116 with enamel dial.

Your budget being up to 60k you could take a look at the 5170 chronograph or the 5130 world timer.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2014, 08:58 PM   #8
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
My vote would go for the 3940 and the 5146 as a runner-up. The dial may be busier on it (and I'm not the biggest fan of the 5140 for that reason) but the font used make it look much cleaner. The only problem is that I'm not sure you'll be able to get one with blank papers as it's been discontinued for some time now. The 5146 is a real stunner in my book, the subdials give it an original look and I really like the proportions and colors on it (the cream dial is lovely but I'd recommend you to take a look at the slate dial as well, it's really something else). It would definitely have my vote if the papers are a concern for you.

The 5205 and 5396 look nice but the 24 hour hand doesn't quite do it for me. However, the 5396 is the one I prefer out of those two given the classic display of the complications and its elegant lines.
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2014, 09:09 PM   #9
Rolex king 68
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5074P
I own a 5146-G Cream dial and is a fabulous watch to own. Comfortable and reasonable in price. I also own the 5140-Y this is my favorite because of who thin it is, wears excellent with suits your shirt don't get hung up at all. My choice preowned 5140.
Rolex king 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2014, 09:22 PM   #10
sctp39
"TRF" Member

How about a 5235? Annual calendar regulator. I hear more will be available later this year.
sctp39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2014, 04:45 AM   #11
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
I would learn towards a 5070G )you are very close on that in price at 50k+ may need to boost just a bit.
Along with that I would highly consider the 5140. Its a truly iconic Patek IMHO. Its so thin and of course its a perpetual in my eyes it hits all the high points on what a patek is suppose to be :)

although you would have to buy both pre owned it will not be impossible to find one with open papers may have to pay a bit extra but probably not just need to get lucky
perpetualman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2014, 05:09 AM   #12
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y

Ps pics would help
Old 12 March 2014, 08:17 AM   #13
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
Another vote for the 5960. Plus, you can get it in Platinum....which gives you the white gold look you were going for, but MUCH better!
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2014, 08:35 AM   #14
patek97
"TRF" Member

Watch: daytona patek lang
3940 is the way to go

it hold it value better and its the best of the bunch,i never ever regretted not getting one in platinum.
patek97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2014, 02:25 PM   #15
Oryx
"TRF" Member

As others have mentioned above have a look at the 5170 and 5980.

From your list above I would reccomended the 3940 or 5140 both beautiful with excellent case proportions and very balanced dials.

If you can get a good deal on a nice pre owned 3940 then this is the way forward in my opinion.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2014, 02:25 PM   #16
Oryx
"TRF" Member

As others have mentioned above have a look at the 5170 and 5980.

From your list above I would reccomended the 3940 or 5140 both beautiful with excellent case proportions and very balanced dials.

If you can get a good deal on a nice pre owned 3940 then this is the way forward in my opinion.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote