The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Announcements/feedback & support

Old 30 April 2008, 03:37 AM   #1
nikhsub1
Server Advisor

Watch: 16610LV
Server Status

10:29 PST, 4/29/08 - First of all, the provider is / was experiencing a ddos attack (distributed denial of service) over the ATT backbone causing the whole server to be either very slow or non existent. Next issue was that I upgraded php and mysql to version 5 from 4 so that Steve can upgrade the forum software. In doing this upgrade, seems the SERVER versions of sql got upgraded but the client remained at 4 so all my sites with php and sql just displayed blank pages. Anyway, i re ran the upgrade so now all should be good.
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2008, 03:45 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
10:29 PST, 4/29/08 - First of all, the provider is / was experiencing a ddos attack (distributed denial of service) over the ATT backbone causing the whole server to be either very slow or non existent. Next issue was that I upgraded php and mysql to version 5 from 4 so that Steve can upgrade the forum software. In doing this upgrade, seems the SERVER versions of sql got upgraded but the client remained at 4 so all my sites with php and sql just displayed blank pages. Anyway, i re ran the upgrade so now all should be good.
WHOA!! WHOA!! WHOA!! Speak English only please!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2008, 03:45 AM   #3
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

Wondered what happened.
Old 30 April 2008, 03:46 AM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baptistman View Post
Wondered what happened.
You're wondering? I'm still wondering what the hell that guy's typed out up there!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 30 April 2008, 03:46 AM   #5
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Thanks for the update- i was almost crying

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2008, 03:48 AM   #6
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
Yep... been experiencing "Page Not Found" errors for some hours now... I was in the process of contacting a therapist to handle the withdrawals. Thx for the good work.

BTW...

I've been tracking stalls using the new 'performance' stats @ the bottom of the page. Though infrequent, they can be nasty... Here's a few examples of what I've experienced recently.

Rolex Forums generated this page in 10.50962496 seconds (-38.99% PHP - 138.99% MySQL) with 10 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 113.84571099 seconds (0.07% PHP - 99.93% MySQL) with 17 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 12.89046788 seconds (15.17% PHP - 84.83% MySQL) with 11 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 125.74084496 seconds (0.14% PHP - 99.86% MySQL) with 10 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 147.70558000 seconds (0.38% PHP - 99.62% MySQL) with 11 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 17.41107988 seconds (-35.71% PHP - 135.71% MySQL) with 10 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 20.42607999 seconds (-10.96% PHP - 110.96% MySQL) with 11 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 206.63692188 seconds (0.08% PHP - 99.92% MySQL) with 10 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 212.87211800 seconds (-84.60% PHP - 184.60% MySQL) with 11 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 27.28135896 seconds (4.23% PHP - 95.77% MySQL) with 11 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 45.06333208 seconds (0.81% PHP - 99.19% MySQL) with 11 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 7.30852699 seconds (0.87% PHP - 99.13% MySQL) with 20 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 72.85853791 seconds (0.72% PHP - 99.28% MySQL) with 10 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 8.67641997 seconds (-19.68% PHP - 119.68% MySQL) with 10 queries
Rolex Forums generated this page in 9.25816011 seconds (1.56% PHP - 98.44% MySQL) with 13 queries

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2008, 03:56 AM   #7
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah,.......that's what I thought.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2008, 03:59 AM   #8
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
I thought I got kicked out

I went through withdrawals all morning and was thinking, what did I say?

Terry got banned for flaming far too many nasty, fake watches. E-bay complained because they were losing a fortune. Especially that $96,000 watch they lost the profits on yesterday.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2008, 04:00 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Yeah,.......that's what I thought.

Old 30 April 2008, 04:19 AM   #10
HDHNTER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Newton View Post

Terry got banned for flaming far too many nasty, fake watches. E-bay complained because they were losing a fortune. Especially that $96,000 watch they lost the profits on yesterday.

Terry Newton
Good to see the site up & running again.
Old 30 April 2008, 04:20 AM   #11
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Thanks for the headsup!

Damn! These forums are addictive!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2008, 04:22 AM   #12
Scarface
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex , Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
Damn! These forums are addictive!
Say that again Bo
Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph
Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2008, 04:26 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Say that again Bo
Damn!! These forums are addictive!!

Old 30 April 2008, 04:30 AM   #14
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Damn!! These forums are addictive!!
Are you Bo?

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2008, 04:31 AM   #15
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Thanks for the update, Nick. A lot of us were going through withdrawal today. Glad it's all worked out.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2008, 06:55 AM   #16
Attila

Watch: GMT/Explorer/Sptfr
All night I spent getting online with no success!
Attila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2008, 07:08 AM   #17
oneillba
"TRF" Member

Watch: My beloved TT DJ
Thanks for the update. I just figured it was on my end and made a sandwich.

My Trusty TT DJ
oneillba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2008, 07:18 AM   #18
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Phew, I was worried! Glad to be back online!
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2008, 07:57 AM   #19
nikhsub1
Server Advisor

Yeah, it was sort of a double whammy. Issue one was the attack. Essentially, script kiddies use bot's (computer programs) to send mass amounts of data to a router or a cluster of servers. This causes whatever is being slammed with data to basically, get overloaded. It wasn't the TRF server that was specifically targeted, it was actually the ATT backbone that was, the host is on the ATT backbone (amongst others) so anyone with ATT or anyone that gets routed through ATT would have been affected. This was an issue out of my control altogether and this was the small issue lol.

The big issue was the upgrade to MySql and php. This bulletin board runs on a MySql database (db) using .php as the 'language' to communicate with the db. Steve asked me to upgrade to version 5 so he can run the mega cool new version of this forum software, version 3.7.0, it has some KILLER new features. Anyway, the upgrade was done yesterday and all seemed fine. Until I tweaked a sever setting and realized that maybe something happend that should not have. Well, as I said before, the SERVER version of MySql upgraded to version 5 but all the client versions, meaning each local account on this server, were NOT upgraded to 5 but remained at version 4. It's sort of like trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Once I noticed this (here is where the ddos attack comes in LOL) I couldn't do anything about it since the attack kept me from getting to the server. Once I could get to the server, a rebuild of Apache (the module on the server that serves web pages like this one) rectified the issue.

I'm sure JJ will still think I'm speaking Greek or something, but I tried to make it as easy to understand as possible. If all that fails the short version is:

I THINK WE ARE GOING TO BE FINE! And thanks for your patience and understanding
Old 30 April 2008, 08:28 AM   #20
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Thanks for the update. One suggestion though - For our externally hosting Unix web sites, we always put in a dialup modem to the console port for out of band management.
Costs more, but peace of mind.
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2008, 09:09 AM   #21
nikhsub1
Server Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2careless View Post
Thanks for the update. One suggestion though - For our externally hosting Unix web sites, we always put in a dialup modem to the console port for out of band management.
Costs more, but peace of mind.
Not needed as this server is managed and can physically be accessed 24/7 if need be
Old 30 April 2008, 09:14 AM   #22
Lol-x
Facilitator

That's awesome Scott, I wasn't worried for a minute

Ddos attack huh, I've never been the victim on that crime before. A Ddos attack is a serious federal offence and I have had personal experience acting on behalf of such an offender in court. They interfere with the use of 100,000's to 1,000,000 of users. I guess I can say I was the victim of crime yesterday

Thanks very much for the upgade Scott that is fantastic. I think it will make the forum run more smoothly, that is for sure.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2008, 09:35 AM   #23
Troy
Banned

Watch: Tudor Sub. 7928
Went out bought a new computer, digital modem, and wires ............now you tell me...lol
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2008, 10:05 AM   #24
Lol-x
Facilitator

Vbulletin 3.7.0 Gold was released 30 minutes ago, so now the batton is handed to me.

I will try to upgrade the forum at some point in the next few days, and so it will be down for several hours whilst the upgrade takes place. My workload until Saturday is quite high so I expect Saturday is most likely to be the day.

Perfect timing Scott

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

Old 30 April 2008, 12:26 PM   #25
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT I/EXP II/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Vbulletin 3.7.0 Gold was released 30 minutes ago, so now the batton is handed to me.

I will try to upgrade the forum at some point in the next few days, and so it will be down for several hours whilst the upgrade takes place. My workload until Saturday is quite high so I expect Saturday is most likely to be the day.

Perfect timing Scott

Thank you very much for the upgrades Scott! I really appreciate the work you have done to keep this forum running smooth. I do not know very much about computer programming except for the basics. Glad to have experts like you here in the forums!

Steve, thank you for informing us about the upgrade! Just wondering, will we see a cool, new, interface in the forums as a result of the upgrade? I do like the current interface, I was just wondering.
-Vintage Longines Automatic La Grande Classique
-Vintage Seiko 6138 Automatic Chronograph with "Kakume" Dial
BiG JeEzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2008, 03:06 PM   #26
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Newton View Post

Terry Newton

too much!!
best,
dan
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2008, 10:14 PM   #27
Oscar
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMTIIC
Quote:

Huh,

what did he say?????????
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2008, 10:21 PM   #28
Lol-x
Facilitator

After the upgrade the forum will pretty much look the same as it is now.

Old 30 April 2008, 10:36 PM   #29
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the update,but why is Arnold appended to every message. He is raising hell in California by saying that the state has a spending problem and not a revenue problem. I guess that is why I am getting a pay-cut next fiscal year (Uh, we are not in recession, or so they say....)

-Sheldon

BTW, I understood everything in the first post.... Made perfect sense.....
Old 1 May 2008, 01:47 AM   #30
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Perhaps you good folks could do some moonlighting for our region's largest ISP. When my connectivity speedtest measured a sloth-like 648kbps yesterday, they suggested I phone back if the problem gets a lot worse. Hmmm, what would that look like?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sloth.jpg (36.7 KB, 75 views)
boa2 is offline   Reply With Quote