The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 8 November 2020, 08:02 PM   #1
g55ddl
"TRF" Member

Is a Sub 114060 with JLC Reverso Tribute sm secs for BLNR Batman/girl a good trade?

I recently posted this question but decided I wanted to rephrase:

I have a 2020 Rolex 114060 (not in mint condition), plus a 2019 JLC Reverso Tribute with small hands (near mint; blue sun dial), both full kits, Rolex comes with original oyster bracelet as well as rubber b strap.

I am looking at acquiring the following:

1 of ... Rolex GMT ll Batman ...OR... Rolex GMT ll Batgirl

I have been offered both a Batman and a batgirl in two different trade scenarios for both of my watches but I am torn on whether or not this is an acceptable deal and if I’ll regret it down the road. I only buy watches sporadically, and I’m only a hobbyist.

In Canadian dollars, this JLC model is probably worth between $7-8k CAD (or roughly $6k usd) with a retail price of $10,900 plus tax (about $12.3k cad or $9400 usd).

Sub value approx $13k cad (currently) or $9500-10k usd.

So, value wise, I’m looking at about $20k Canadian minimum (or $15.3k usd), so as it stands, that’s roughly around where the Batman/batgirl is valued within the market give or take.

This appears to be a fair trade based on current market value alone. Obviously if we’re talking retail, I’d be losing thousands of dollars if I made this deal.

The questions I am asking are:

A. What is the general consensus on this trade?

B. Hypothetically, if I were to just sell both watches and get $20k CAD and then go and take that 20k and buy a grey market BLNR Batman/batgirl is that a bad deal?

C. If all 3 watches were available to buy, $20k for the combo of the sub and JLC reverso, or 20k on the BLNR Batman/batgirl. What would YOU buy at the current prices I listed above? (Excluding all other options outside of this scenario, i.e. no keeping the money and buying something else, and no waiting to buy at retail prices or for the market to come down). I know everyone has different tastes, but I’m looking to get objective responses.

D. Out of the Batman (oyster) and the batgirl (jubilee/updated movement), why would one choose one over the other?

One final note. Please just move along if this post bothers you in some way. I’m not looking for any negativity or comments that are not related to my question(s). Just looking for some simple opinions from other fellow watch enthusiasts. No one likes a negative nelly. Thanks all :) I appreciate all of your responses/thoughts.

Watches pictured below.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4CFBE5E5-038E-40DD-B67B-81AD60F525ED.jpeg (243.2 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpeg 78802778-F312-4876-A2EB-1543CB00D8E7.jpeg (129.2 KB, 348 views)
g55ddl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 09:11 PM   #2
Hank
"TRF" Member

I would not trade the Sub and Reverso for a Batman nor Batgirl. That Reverso is a gem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 09:15 PM   #3
Walster
"TRF" Member

Never
Walster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 10:43 PM   #4
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
If you desire the Rolex GMT would
do the trade. From the 2 BLNR’s would
pick the Oyster version as like more the look of it but the new jubilee version is a good choice as well since it has the new movement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 10:56 PM   #5
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My recommendation would be to keep the current Sub and Reverso and save up for the BLNR on oyster. I've let go a couple watches in my early collecting and find myself on occasion looking at potentially picking them back up. But in doing so I would have lost out since 1. They wouldnt be the exact pieces I had and 2. Reacquiring them now I would have to pay more for a used example than I did new when I let them go.

If I was starting from scratch I would pick up the BLNR on a Jubilee since you can get it new (if that matters to you) and source a separate oyster. My first Rolex is the BLNR on oyster and much prefer the look of it over the jubilee. If you were to say BLRO I would get that on the jubilee.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 11:23 PM   #6
robk215k
"TRF" Member

The trade seems fair. The question as to whether to do it or not is really what YOU want. Obviously most of us are indirectly faced with similar choices when making a purchase like a Batman. One could always buy two pieces at the same total value.

I love the Batman....but if I were in your shoes, maybe plan on selling the least favorite of the two and save for the difference.

As for the oyster/jubilee..I personally would 100% go oyster. I’m not a fan of the jubilee on GMT. Plus it’s now more desirable since it’s no longer made.

Best of luck...curious to see what you decide!

Old 8 November 2020, 11:30 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Not a chance for me

I much prefer the combo you have to either iteration of the BLNR. I owned the BLNR for about a year and half and just never bonded with it.

The Submariner on the other hand, is a go anywhere do anything watch with roots that go back to the 50’s. Such a classic beauty.

The Reverso also has its own rich history that dates back to the 30’s and it’s one I’ve often thought of adding.

I realize it’s all personal preference, but there’s no way I’d do that trade YMMV of course.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 11:49 PM   #8
Tele59
"TRF" Member

I have the sub and absolutely love the reverso. No way I would let either one go.
Tele59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 11:54 PM   #9
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
I have a 114060 and previously owned a BLNR on oyster for a short time, couldn't deal with polished centre links!
I also find the cyclops to be ugly and not keen on the 2nd time zone hand, the symmetrical dial is so much cleaner and better looking in my opinion
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 11:57 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I would not trade the Sub and Reverso for a Batman nor Batgirl. That Reverso is a gem.

Likewise as those are just comic characters normally used by childlike people and not grown adults.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 12:09 AM   #11
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Sell the reverso and keep the sub
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 12:44 AM   #12
Bruno Datejust
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I love the 114060. Clean, bold, classic. I wouldn't give it away for a somehow cluttered, over enriched batgirl (Ooops Pady, wanna say 126710BLNR;-)) Check out very carefully with yourself if you aren't just following the hype and could be disappointed after your Sub has gone. Why not give away the (beautiful) Reverso and check out for a 116710 LN at much more human prices?
Old 9 November 2020, 12:56 AM   #13
ecuares2011
"TRF" Member

Keep what you have. The BLNR is a hot watch right now, but the sub and reverso are two of the most iconic watches and cover your bases of sport / dress.

If the trade were for say a Patek Calatrava then I think that's reasonable, but not for a Rolex GMT man, there are so many of them on the market, don't let the hype cloud your judgment.
ecuares2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 01:23 AM   #14
asisrich
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C Panda
If you think you will wear the BLNR daily no matter what occasion then do the trade I say. Time is value. Coz you are trading both a sports and dress watch you have to cover both bases.

Get the jubilee batgirl. New movement and the dressy more comfy jubilee bracelet will slightly cover for your JLC dress watch loss.

Also the 114060 is kind of trading for a slight premium now along with the new sub hype. So kinda good timing to part with that now aswell.

The batgirl / batman values have been steady for a while I believe.

Sent from my SM-N9860 using Tapatalk
asisrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 01:59 AM   #15
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

I have very little knowledge about the Reverso, I just know that it's a classic looking watch. It really depends on how difficult you can buy the piece back in the future if you regret trading it in.

I do however own both the 116610LN and 116710BLNR and as much as I love both watches I find myself wearing and staring at the BLNR more and more. I just love the subtle black/blue ceramic dial. Don't get me wrong I also love and appreciate my Sub too!

I've never owned the 126710BLNR, the jubilee one. But to me, the Oyster bracelet version has the better aesthetic IMO, it's sporty with a hint of elegance/sophistication. I like the Jubilee on the Pepsi much more. Also the 116710BLNR Batman is discontinued, so I think the price of it will slowly increase in the years to come.

As for the Sub, it depends on what you paid for it. You will always be able to buy one back, whether on a waiting list in an AD or pay some premium in the grey.

All in all, I'd say US$15,000 is about the right price for a decent condition/year Batman. I do not have any knowledge about the Reverso nor do I have any sentimental attachment to it. Meanwhile, the Sub is now at its peak price and I believe will correct its price in the years to come, and the Batman will likely become more and more scarce in the future, so IMO I'd go for the trade.
IamJacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 02:21 AM   #16
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Terrible idea

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 03:34 AM   #17
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
I wouldn’t do this trade. You’re going from a sporty and a dressy piece down to just one sporty that people won’t be able to tell from the sun at 5m distance.

Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2020, 08:03 AM   #18
g55ddl
"TRF" Member

I went ahead and sold my JLC and got 1k CAD more than I paid for it. I then traded my Sub 114060 plus the cash for the BLNR 116710 (in mint condition).

I'm going to miss the Sub, (and the JLC) but at the end of the day I can always trade down and reacquire another 114060, but I may not always be in a position to get the "Batman". Very happy at the moment.
g55ddl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2020, 08:54 AM   #19
juve
"TRF" Member

Never !!!
juve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
114060 sub , blnr batman/batgirl , jlc reverso tribute , no date sub , trade