Originally Posted by Juliet799 View Post
Excellent review. Thank you!

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2020, 08:53 AM   #33
Check
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer (124270)
Congratulations! What a beautiful watch. I was thinking about getting one too.

Cheers!
Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2020, 10:19 AM   #34
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Check View Post
Congratulations! What a beautiful watch. I was thinking about getting one too.

Cheers!
Thanks!

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 17 October 2020, 09:14 AM   #35
Alxsantan
"TRF" Member

Does anyone else feel like the bracelet is a little heavy?
Alxsantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 09:16 AM   #36
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxsantan View Post
Does anyone else feel like the bracelet is a little heavy?
Nope but im used to soild bracelets.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 25 October 2020, 06:23 PM   #37
CEG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116505
Great review for a great watch!

I love mine

CEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 01:18 AM   #38
mgarthwaite
"TRF" Member

Great review!
mgarthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 01:20 AM   #39
mgarthwaite
"TRF" Member

I got mine on a leather strap. It is so comfortable you hardly notice it.
mgarthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 10:36 AM   #40
holdingon
"TRF" Member

Going to try to add BB 58 blue to get some color in my mostly all black collection.
holdingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 02:42 PM   #41
axelbrass
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
What a great review. Similar to my thoughts. I’ve got both blue and black and the blue is the fave of the pair.

The other common gripe is the lack of adjustment in the bracelet. For the life of me I don’t understand why the micro adjust span is less than a link.

Other than that, there is not a lot to dislike here - obvs if you are dead set on wearing a Rolex it might not be for you, but I can’t think of many other watches that do it better at this price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love the watch, but the lack of adjustment bothered me too. So... I fixed it by retrofitting with a Rolex EasyLink.

So now, I find the watch just perfect!

Etschell, great comparison. I felt the same in comparison to the Rolex Submariner.
axelbrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 10:22 PM   #42
ramasjang
"TRF" Member

Nice
ramasjang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2020, 04:41 AM   #43
billybob1999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelbrass View Post
Love the watch, but the lack of adjustment bothered me too. So... I fixed it by retrofitting with a Rolex EasyLink.

Etschell, great comparison. I felt the same in comparison to the Rolex Submariner.
Very cool

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
billybob1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2020, 11:37 PM   #44
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelbrass View Post

ty sir!

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 8 November 2020, 12:17 AM   #45
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Great review. I went to try on one on leather and bracelet and was shocked how small it wore. Size of back bay 41 mm was better but both are on the thick side. Was def disappointed with the size on my 6.75 wrist.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 01:28 AM   #46
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrpdc View Post
Great review. I went to try on one on leather and bracelet and was shocked how small it wore. Size of back bay 41 mm was better but both are on the thick side. Was def disappointed with the size on my 6.75 wrist.
Same as a 5 digit sub but smaller than the subc of course.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 22 January 2021, 11:53 PM   #47
PGTO3406
"TRF" Member

Nice review
PGTO3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2021, 09:40 AM   #48
Axi128
Banned

Great write up
Axi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2021, 07:24 PM   #49
PureRolex
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch

I have the black tudor bb 58 and im starting to think i should have gotten the blue lol
PureRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 02:43 AM   #50
rhino67
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Great review of a great watch!

I sat on a wait list for a no date Submariner for like two years! The original BB 58 was nice, but it didn't overwhelm me. Then the BB 58 Navy Blue popped out and I loved it! Beyond the unbelievable color and looks that were covered so well in the review, you get an in-house movement with 70 hour power reserve, technology and quality such as silicon hairspring technology, full balance bridge, and a free sprung Microstella balance wheel. Oh, wait a minute; aren't those technologies some other Swiss company uses in their 3230/3235 movements. Yes, the Big Brother on the other side of the building in Geneva!
I got mine in September 2020 and my 1999 GMT II got a new home the watch winder. I couldn't be happier and forget the Sub.
In the comparison pictures to the sub, note the hands on the BB 58 are a bit wider and carry nearly double the lume. I love the way it is so readable in the dark; better than the GMT II. If you can ever get the two together and view them in the dark, the Tudor just pops.
rhino67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 06:36 AM   #51
rhino67
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Forgot my one gripe; If the watch was going to carry through with the “Blue” theme, why didn’t Tudor use blue lume? Maybe Big Brother said “No!”
rhino67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 08:13 AM   #52
daxionh
"TRF" Member

Awesome review! I was used to large dial like the IWC 43mm pilot chronograph. BB58 gives me a new perspective, and I’m starting to like it.
daxionh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2021, 06:42 PM   #53
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Great review! Thanks for sharing.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2022, 06:34 AM   #54
Amwfhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO 126710
I love this watch. I customized the strap with an everest blue band. It is one of my daily drivers. Great watch, it looks nice for casual wear and price point makes it one of the best watches that Tudor has made. I agree with the review.
Amwfhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2022, 11:39 PM   #55
illiguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Attachment 1157823

The Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue was released on July 1, 2020. I knew I had to have it and here is why.

The Original Black Bay 58

When the original Black Bay 58 was released at Basel 2018 I had quite an interest in the watch.  It had all the qualities I was looking for in a dive watch and the size was perfect for my wrist (a smidge under 6.5 inches). It had an in house movement with a 70 hour power reserve. It was 47.5 mm lug to lug. The lugs were sleek and chamfers were polished. Torch lume, a buttery smooth crown and 60 click bezel complete the compelling package. The dial was balanced with no date. It was under 12 mm thick and the price was...well we all know the value.

However, due to my collection having a 114060 I knew it was redundant and thus I passed. It would get less wrist time and I was better suited for adding a different piece to my collection which I did a little over a year later. But I thought to myself, 'Tudor wouldn't develop a new movement for just one iteration of this model, would they?' The next year came and I expected a new color or even a new Tudor Submariner. We got nothing. Still I thought to myself, 'can this really be it for the MT5402?'

The Black Bay 58 Blue

Fast forward to 2020 and, as we all know, Basel is postponed and then Rolex pulls out for good. Enthusiasts are left wondering if any new watches will be released. Of course in the state of affairs it is low on the list but this is our hobby so we cannot just forget. June 2020 arrives and the rumors are flying. Tudor and Rolex will release models. But what could it be?  In my own right I scour to find information and eventually stumble upon an Instagram picture reflecting a new Tudor Black Bay 58 - this one is in Blue. When I saw it I thought 'Oh it is nice but so what?.' Then I kept looking and the more I was the more I liked. It had everything I wanted in a dive watch but was a slight twist that I felt was enough to make it a new addition to my small collection. 

Attachment 1157824
Attachment 1157825

Frustration and a Turn of Events

I have a few ADs I know decently well in the area. Well come to find out one was willing to sell me on the day prior to the release. However, the AD ended up backing out. I still have no answer. Now when I say AD I don't mean a sales rep. I mean the actual owner of the AD. Yes. It was terrible and I felt slighted but I do understand. It was sold to someone else. I would have to find another way.

Through a friend I met on this website I was able to get the watch a few weeks later. He knows who he is and it was a fantastic gesture. My frustration was short lived thanks to him. A few friends actually looked into it so I thank them all for looking out. 

The Dial (and Bezel insert)

This is the only difference between the original BB58. Some say the stainless steel color is lighter but I can not see that. The dial is stunning. There is no other blue like this blue in the Rolex and Tudor lineup. It is hard to describe but it can be monotone dark or light. The dial is actually textured. It is quite stunning. When it was released I was worried it would be the same color as the Black Bay 41 Blue bezel. It could not be further from that in the flesh. I will let the pictures do the talking.

Attachment 1157826
Attachment 1157827

Comparison to the Rolex Submariner 114060

I thought many might find this interesting so I took some comparison shots to my Ceramic Sub C. These two watches compliment each other very well in my opinion. One is the ying and the other is the yang. Size wise they wear the very close but the Sub C with its fixed end links and larger lugs wears larger. You really cannot go wrong with either one of these watches. Perhaps it does not have the wrist presence of the Rolex but it has the charm that will keep you wearing it with its boxed sapphire crystal and 5 digit Rolex profile.

Attachment 1157832
Attachment 1157833
Attachment 1157834
Attachment 1157835
Attachment 1157836

Common Gripes of Others

The common gripes of others, that I have seen, are:

1. It is the same watch with a different color. So what?
2. It has a riveted bracelet for no reason. If it is not a real rivet bracelet it is worthless and horrible. 

My response to both is try the watch on. Blue is blue and yeah every brand has done it. But so what? Every brand also does black, white, green and so on. I assure you this blue is different and would look fantastic on a distressed leather strap. 

In terms of the second item I don't mind the riveted bracelet. It is a throwback to the days of the old Rolex and Tudor oyster bracelets. I know a lot of collectors are stuck on this point. All I can say as an owner is it is great and a mix up to the standard oyster styling. But I don't need to convince you - there are several strap options. 

Attachment 1157829
Attachment 1157830

What is the Black Bay 58 Blue?

To me? Quite simply the best Tudor watch ever made. Now before the pitchforks come out let me tell you why (and no obviously I haven't owned every Tudor ever made). It is the modern five digit Submariner. Before flaming me, keep reading. You know the proportions because I detailed them above (which scream 5 digit Rolex), the lugs are slim, it does not have crown guards, it has a solid bracelet with no rattle, a better clasp (which isn't stamped) and has ceramic fitment in the flip lock, an in house movement with 70 hours of power reserve, 3 not 4 lines of text, green super luminova, a boxed sapphire crystal and an aluminum insert. The only thing it does not have is Rolex on the dial. But of course why would it?

Conclusion

There is seemingly nothing special about the Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue.  It is an unassuming release that gets a yawn from most as, "So what?". But look closer at what it sets out to do. It is an under the radar watch that shouldn't create such buzz but it did. Perhaps it is the year 2020 and the lack of releases. Only time will tell. But I will tell you this from owning the watch - the execution is just about as good as I have ever seen. 

You do not have to take my word for it. For the price of $3,700, or less if you loathe rivets, it can be yours. 

Attachment 1157828
Attachment 1157831
Attachment 1157837
Great review. Thanks for taking the time.
illiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2022, 07:03 AM   #56
TheTimeHapa
"TRF" Member

Great review. Ive had the Tudor BB58 in a few colors and have the bronze boutique coming on today. Great little watches
TheTimeHapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2022, 09:07 PM   #57
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Excellent review. And excellent watch with a lot of value for the money.
Old 26 May 2022, 02:42 PM   #58
Sophiamaya
Banned

Hi everybody
Sophiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2022, 01:04 AM   #59
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Glad to find this, great write-up OP.

What I like the most about the BB58 Blue is how unassuming it is at the onset, but when you really get into the details, one can appreciate it even more!

Vintage charm can be found everywhere. Elevated crystal, aluminum bezel, silver text, 5 lines, matte dial, meters-first, snowflake hands, no crown guards, rose crown, chamfers, diminutive size, and shield clasp. Just phenomenal
espanol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2023, 01:26 PM   #60
kg19989
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD 16600 Z Series
Great write up, thanks for sharing. I don't like the thought of the "rivets" but I don't even know they're there, so carry on!!!

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
kg19989 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black bay , blue , etschell , rolex , tudor