The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 September 2018, 07:38 PM   #31
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
My dad is an old school collector. He prefers his watches mint in the bank or safe. I didn’t understand it for years, and we don’t share the same philosophy of collecting. But as I get older two things have become apparent to me; 1. This is the way he enjoys collecting watches, and if he’s happy, I’m happy. 2. It’s pretty damn cool to see a 20, 30 or 40 year old watch in brand new condition. It’s almost like traveling in time to experience what it was like to buy a brand new watch in the 70s or 80s.

I kind of get it for those reasons now. He does have watches that are worn as well, very worn lol. His 1655 was his daily watch for almost 40 years, and the man never took it off.
i am now starting to get it too. My Dad is a big WWI collector and has a massive collection, mostly of US issued "items" in original condition but used, obviously. I finally understand the idea of a collection for no other purpose than a collection and while i wear all my watches, some get worn only a few times a year so its evolving more into a collection of wanting to have vs needing something to wear. .
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 11:35 PM   #32
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Not a collector at all, currently have five swiss watches (Rolex 16610 Sub & 18239 DD; Omega Speedy and AT; Tudor Chrono) and an Apple
Watch 3. Think that is too many and as such am on my way down to just three swiss (16610, 18239 and Speedy) plus the Apple watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 11:56 PM   #33
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
That is the eternal question, IMO...collecting vs. wearing. I've been giving this matter a lot of thought lately as my "collection" has gotten out of hand. (There's also numerous threads on the topic of what makes a collection vs. an amassing of watches.) Taking all of this into consideration, I probably just amass watches I like vs. collecting certain themes, like subs, or GMT's, etc. I enjoy having diversity in my little group.

So, anywho...at the end of the day I enjoy wearing my watches. If the watches don't make it into the rotation (that looks insane in writing LOL) then they're going to be leaving soon to find a new owner. I've done that with some of the so-called "must haves" on TRF like the LV-C and the BLNR, which looks crazy on paper, but the love is just not there.

I guess all of this is to say there's all kinds of watch enthusiasts hanging around here. I probably fall into the addicted/love my watches until I don't love them anymore/constantly trying to find the right number and perfect combination of watches group.
This is my dealio too
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 12:13 AM   #34
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
this is my problem.

I want to move a few.

I can't bring myself to do it.
I feel the same sometimes, especially with 5 digit references, that would be hard(and/or expensive) to replace.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 12:24 AM   #35
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Appreciate the responses so far
Old 12 September 2018, 03:48 AM   #36
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Have quite a few, all Rolex watches. Two are safe queens. The rest get worn according to my mood. I enjoy wearing my watches. Everyone is different. Collect what you want, wear what you want.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 05:36 AM   #37
Fort Rolex
"TRF" Member

I have 5 which isn’t a huge collection but a nice rotation. I do feel like I should let one go and just free up cash for something else, mostly because one or two get neglected for long stretches, but feel sentimental about them. That said I also still feel the desire to chase the next piece even though it would excacerbate the current situation

The struggle..
Fort Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 11:46 AM   #38
Cshull
"TRF" Member

I have my 6th Rolex in 2 years coming in tomorrow and I wear them all, so I think I must be a wearer and collector. I change watches when I change clothes after getting home from work so that makes it easier for them all to get some wrist time
Cshull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 04:51 PM   #39
gman5515
"TRF" Member

there lies the major question when u have amassed a number of watches. IMO, luckily my wife loves watches too, so she gets the modern, "prized & precious pieces" (PP 5712, GMT Master II YG green dial 116718LN, Daytona, DJ41). I wear my vintages on rotation daily, but there are many that get locked up in the safe due to sentimental reasons(16600, 126600, Kermit). Luckily as well, my son loves watches too, so many will be passed on to him when he comes of age.

TBH, it all boils down to your personal preference of what u can stomach, or afford to keep. if the collection you keep affects your financial comfort and situation, then yes, u should sell some to make sure you're not unhealthily "hoarding".

Just my 2 cents
Old 12 September 2018, 05:27 PM   #40
D O C
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710LN
I get you. But its like having 10 girlfriends don't you think? I mean they all are beautiful and have aspects that you love. And its hard to pick just one.

But don't you have a favorite? One that you're in love with. That you just can't do without? Pick one and marry her. Is that even possible?

D O C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 06:07 PM   #41
UnicoJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Always!
Large collections are are impressive, however, it would bother me having multiple nice watches and only wearing them occasionally. But if you appreciate owning many timepieces, that’s all that matters.
UnicoJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 09:02 PM   #42
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I don't own watches I can't wear or excite me.
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 10:23 PM   #43
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
I don’t really consider myself as a major collector but for me the size of my collection is exclusively controlled by the size of my 10 Slot box. There are some higher end pieces I may not wear for 6-8 weeks and only then on a weekend, indeed there are 4 in particular that I would never wear to the office. There are 7 I would never wear when travelling for work the other 3 are worn fairly regularly. I typically change up 2-3 times during weekdays and the same again at weekends so all get some wrist time. In the longer term I genuinley see my end game as 3 maybe 4 and all are secured and in the collection at present, one or two will become graduation gifts others might be cashed in or consolidated by way of a trade up if I ever get bored. In short 10 is a good size for me but anymore would be a waste
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote