The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 September 2018, 01:46 PM   #31
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar View Post
Excellent review Steve! Thank you. I love my Explorer II since I never have to check more than one other time zone. It fits under the cuff and my polar version is very readable. I often wear it on leather or nylon to lighten the load.

I’ve been tempted by the ExpII several times. I’m surprised I’ve never bought one. If it’s good enough for HRH, then who am I to object! If I were to go with one, polar would be my choice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 11:42 PM   #32
Odie-r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
How would you identify the different feel and what reference is your Rolex gmt? I’m glad you’re enjoying your BBGMT! Everyone loves different things!

The Rolex GMT 116710LN is thinner, and feels lighter. Somehow when I wear the Rolex I feel like it doesn't call as much attention (maybe thats the colour?). Also I feel like it isn't at risk of door jamb strikes as often. That extra 2mm thickness of the BB GMT is noticeable for sure.

The BB GMT is a piece that most people would never notice and feels vintage and contemporary at the same time. This part I really like.

If I am choosing between the two in the morning before work, I tend to lean toward the Rolex GMT. I still like the understated black dial and bezel more for daily wear. The evidence is that my Rolex GMT has a lot more scratches than my BB GMT.

For reference, I did also own a BLNR GMT and sold that because I liked the LN much more.

I hope that helps, but really it felt like I was just rambling!
Old 7 September 2018, 12:25 AM   #33
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odie-r View Post

I hope that helps, but really it felt like I was just rambling!

It all helps!

I woke up this morning very aware of the BBGMT and had to shove the watch down my wrist to loosen it up, but last night I snapped a shot of it in low-height sunlight. For me it’s becoming a love-hate watch.

I liked my 116710 but I preferred my 16753. The 116710 fitted me better, I think, than the BBGMT does — but the latter is prettier!

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
Old 7 September 2018, 12:43 AM   #34
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I would love to know your thoughts on the leather after you've worn it a bit.

I have it on both, and the strap makes it wear a lot lighter. It’s also really comfortable once it’s broken in a bit and shows the blue of the bezel off a bit in contrast to the brown.

I like the Tudor bracelet, but I think this watch looks and wears better on leather and nato.

Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 12:51 AM   #35
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post

I like the Tudor bracelet, but I think this watch looks and wears better on leather and nato.
That is good to hear, and thank you for the info. I'm normally a bracelet guy, but really liking the look of this one on the leather. And if it feels as good as it looks...well that would be a win for me.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 02:34 AM   #36
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I think the mistake was taking it off the leather. I put the bbgmt on my heritage chrono bracelet....hated it, put it right back on the leather. I think the caseback bevels help a lot with the clunkiness compared to the normal black bays. good review and agree with most of your points when it's on a bracelet. The leather strap is under the radar but it's what this watch belongs on imo. I never would have thought that pre buy.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 02:47 AM   #37
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Excellent, thorough review. Best I've seen on this watch thus far.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 02:53 AM   #38
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
That is good to hear, and thank you for the info. I'm normally a bracelet guy, but really liking the look of this one on the leather. And if it feels as good as it looks...well that would be a win for me.

I am too on everything else. Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with the bracelet at all, just in my eyes it works best and is most comfortable on leather/fabric. Of course that is completely subjective.

In reality, it works really well on all three.

Old 9 September 2018, 03:37 AM   #39
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I am too on everything else. Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with the bracelet at all, just in my eyes it works best and is most comfortable on leather/fabric. Of course that is completely subjective.

In reality, it works really well on all three.

I’ll be interested to see how long their leather holds up with regular settings. I moved to a NATO on my Bremont because the regular swims and bathing was starting to kill the leather strap.

Old 9 September 2018, 06:10 AM   #40
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ll be interested to see how long their leather holds up with regular settings. I moved to a NATO on my Bremont because the regular swims and bathing was starting to kill the leather strap.

It seems fairly good quality and pretty thick. In fact, I think it will look better once broken in a bit more. That said, I won’t take it swimming. I’ll use bracelet or nato for that.
Old 9 September 2018, 07:38 AM   #41
UnicoJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Always!
Very good and detailed review. It’s a nice watch but too thick for my taste.
UnicoJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 08:42 AM   #42
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It seems fairly good quality and pretty thick. In fact, I think it will look better once broken in a bit more. That said, I won’t take it swimming. I’ll use bracelet or nato for that.

Yeah, I think it does well on a NATO.

Old 10 September 2018, 08:24 AM   #43
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Good eye! Yes, the SC model. I like to go anywhere fast! LOL

I put tyres on him at Christmas last year and considered both the Ridge Grapplers and Terra Grapplers. I spoke to a number of tyre dealers up here who stocked them, but they both had mixed reviews on the ice and snow (of which we get a lot). I chose to go with the Cooper Weather Master XCL instead. They've been pretty good for me, but I will probably switch them out this winter for Hakkapeliitta 9s because I like to stop when stopping is very difficult!

Yeah!! He sees a fair bit of off road stuff. This year we hit up the trails in Tahoe:

I run Terras (the G2s) on my L322 Supercharged. Way better than stock, but the vehicle is so heavy it does make it tough to stop sometimes on packed snow down hills. I'm debating Duractracs or KO2s if i can figure a way without too many mods. In Canada, I'm not sure though with your Winters as you mentioned. Terrain Response almost always gets traction laterally, but stopping in a vehicle that heavy definitely can be a challenge.

Great pics in Tahoe. Looking good
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 08:52 AM   #44
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
I run Terras (the G2s) on my L322 Supercharged. Way better than stock, but the vehicle is so heavy it does make it tough to stop sometimes on packed snow down hills. I'm debating Duractracs or KO2s if i can figure a way without too many mods. In Canada, I'm not sure though with your Winters as you mentioned. Terrain Response almost always gets traction laterally, but stopping in a vehicle that heavy definitely can be a challenge.

Great pics in Tahoe. Looking good

Thanks! I was impressed with how he performed. Drove 2500 miles and back and returned 19mpg (USg)! We were just a bit cramped in the back for Jyp -- but we didnt do badly toting 4 kayaks, two tents, coolers, clothes, camping gear, and a swamp-cooler for the hound!

I have run both KO2s and Duratracs on my LR3 (in my avatar photo). I recently moved to KO2s on the LR3 over the Duratracs because they looked better with the new rims I put on. They performed pretty much the same, though, with a bit more road noise. I can't tell you how well they lasted because I've now sold the LR3 — my Duratracs pulled 75,000miles and had some left on when I sold them. The KO2s are heavier and the ride was noticeably firmer.

Up here, where the cold drops to -40c or more, the compound really does have to be a bit softer in order to stay sticky. The TG have a slightly harder compound, I am told, and tend to become less grippy in the cold. I have heard great things about them in warmer climbs, though!

Old 10 September 2018, 11:30 AM   #45
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
A well-reasoned and articulate review. Thanks for taking the time to post.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 08:24 PM   #46
Beebee58
"TRF" Member

Great write up
Beebee58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 09:09 PM   #47
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

I'm looking forward to getting my GMT back from the RSC. I'm surprised how much I miss it. It quickly became one of my favorites.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 02:34 AM   #48
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
I'm looking forward to getting my GMT back from the RSC. I'm surprised how much I miss it. It quickly became one of my favorites.

I’m assuming date wheel drama? I put my Bremont back on yesterday, and I’m currently not missing the Tudor. I really do love those hands and domed crystal, though!

Old 12 September 2018, 02:35 AM   #49
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Thanks! I was impressed with how he performed. Drove 2500 miles and back and returned 19mpg (USg)! We were just a bit cramped in the back for Jyp -- but we didnt do badly toting 4 kayaks, two tents, coolers, clothes, camping gear, and a swamp-cooler for the hound!

I have run both KO2s and Duratracs on my LR3 (in my avatar photo). I recently moved to KO2s on the LR3 over the Duratracs because they looked better with the new rims I put on. They performed pretty much the same, though, with a bit more road noise. I can't tell you how well they lasted because I've now sold the LR3 — my Duratracs pulled 75,000miles and had some left on when I sold them. The KO2s are heavier and the ride was noticeably firmer.

Up here, where the cold drops to -40c or more, the compound really does have to be a bit softer in order to stay sticky. The TG have a slightly harder compound, I am told, and tend to become less grippy in the cold. I have heard great things about them in warmer climbs, though!

Wow that was an awesome looking LR3, especially with the KO2s....19mpg would be amazing. I'm averaging 13mpg
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 06:25 AM   #50
R!$
Banned

Nice review. Thanks
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2018, 04:25 AM   #51
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Wow that was an awesome looking LR3, especially with the KO2s....19mpg would be amazing. I'm averaging 13mpg

Hahaha!! Well, play with the poke and it can certainly go south on economy!!

Thanks! I was disappointed to sell her after I swapped the wheels and tyres out, but she broke down on a trip to Tahoe and the g/f lost faith in her.