The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 September 2018, 12:58 PM   #1
rnordby
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Rolex DJ41 two tone champagne dial

Hello,

I am a 48 year old finance professor and I currently have a Rolex BLNR and explorer 1. I am thinking of purchasing the Rolex DJ 41 champagne dial two tone yellow gold. My local AD had it in stock today and I really liked the look. I also have the silver dial DJ41 but I have grown tired of the white gold and steel look and want more variety, even if I take a hit on selling my current dj41 silver dial.

I wanted hear your thoughts on two tone yellow gold Rolex watches? Do they bring up too many negative thoughts about the 1980's greed and excess or do you think two-tone yellow gold watches are coming back into style. Or possibly appear that you want gold but can't afford it?

My initial thoughts were to save up a buy a yellow gold day date 40 with silver Roman dial but after trying on both, the DJ 41 yellow gold two tone with champagne dial was also very nice. I also liked the day date 40 but there is almost a $20k difference between the two watches. Should I purchase the dj41 two tone with champagne dial or should I wait a year and purchase the day date 40?

Is the Day date 40 worth the additional $20k.

Please advise 😀
rnordby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2018, 03:00 PM   #2
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Well, I have made the mistake in the past of not waiting to get the watch I really want, and getting a less desirable model because I can afford it. When you are chomping at the bit to get a new watch, it is very easy to talk yourself into getting the one that is not top of your list. If it was me (which I realize it is not) I would wait and get the Day Date 40. You say the DJ 41 "was also very nice". Does not really sound enthusiastic to me! The bracelet on the DD40 alone is a work of art, like handling a set of pearls! And the Applied Romans on the Day Date are also, each one hand applied, works of art.

On the other hand, I am not really fond of TT watches.

It sounds to me like you prefer the DD40! Although they are both beautiful watches.
Old 13 September 2018, 07:58 PM   #3
roosvelt
Banned

Watch: 16613 serti 18078
My serti sub is TT with champagne dial I love it.
roosvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2018, 08:37 PM   #4
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

I had a TT DJ36 with champagne tapestry dial for 15 years then made the mistake of going to a dull SS Sub Date. It took me 4 weeks to get bored of the monotone looks. I traded it for a new DJ41 "Wimbledon"

From this...

...to this...

...and finally...

I tried the TT DJ41 champagne and silver dials, found the silver the nicer probably as I'd had champagne before, although champagne is classic, but chose the Wimbledon for something different and for the roman numerals.

Go with what YOU feel, but do try on every dial and every model you can before you choose.
Then... go sleep on it and decide.

DavidUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2018, 08:43 PM   #5
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
^^ What DavidUK said, and then try them all on again...
Old 13 September 2018, 08:53 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would go get my best deal on the TT DJ and trade and wear my new watch and enjoy. At the same time I would start saving toward the DD40. If you buy right you will not lose too much on a trade if you go with a TS and buy the DD40 slightly preowned down the road. I like the TT models and they have made a comeback or they never left. They are only getting better press now.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 12:19 AM   #7
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I love my TT DJ 41. It may be my favorite watch. I personally like it better than the DD. If I ever do get a YG DD i would keep my TT DJ.

Imo no negative connotation for the TT. The TT jubilee is indeed what has always resonated to me as iconic. I don’t think it has gone out of style and if is has or ever does, I frankly don’t/won’t care :)
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 01:51 AM   #8
R!$
Banned

If you're concerned with the "image" or cost then perhaps trading the SS/WG DJ to TT would be a good balance
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote