The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 20 December 2017, 01:17 PM   #31
moyski
"TRF" Member

Is there an official statement by Rolex what buyers should be receiving when buying from an AD? I don’t get what the fuss is about over a plastic tag that doesn’t have any functional significance to a watch other than a redundant identification and a place to stick on the retail price of the watch.

So what should be the price difference of a set with the green hang tag versus a similar set without one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 December 2017, 01:19 PM   #32
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

I’m not concerned about a watch tag except for wanting to have a “Complete Set”for the next person’s value in case I decide to flip it.
Old 20 December 2017, 05:33 PM   #33
topjimmi
"TRF" Member

Not a deal breaker. Can’t wear the tag...(we’ll, I guess you could if you really wanted to)
Old 20 December 2017, 08:51 PM   #34
Spoonage
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topjimmi View Post
Not a deal breaker. Can’t wear the tag...(we’ll, I guess you could if you really wanted to)
Well you can't wear the box, warranty card, or manual either.

But in all seriousness condition of the watch is most important. That is what you are buying and wearing. My one and only vintage was bought head only. But on topic if you're going to list as "full kit" it should be everything that was shipped with the watch.
Old 20 December 2017, 09:00 PM   #35
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
What if the watch comes with the green hangtag, but the barcode with serial number has been peeled off by the AD, as is sometimes the case?
I'd say the barcode / serial number sticker is more important than the generic green (now white) tag it is /was once stuck to.

Plastic tags can be replaced - the serial number/ barcode sticker cannot

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Old 20 December 2017, 09:15 PM   #36
topgear
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN, PAM390
I did not get my green tag, well, I did not ask for it as I was a noob then. I did not know it will be important item one day. Luckily it is not that important
Old 20 December 2017, 09:31 PM   #37
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Does not bother me in the least.
Old 20 December 2017, 09:51 PM   #38
Flier
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
My AD kept the green tag and the bezel cover
I questioned them about it and they said Rolex does not require to give the tag
To The buyer
Old 20 December 2017, 09:52 PM   #39
Flier
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonage View Post
Well you can't wear the box, warranty card, or manual either.

But in all seriousness condition of the watch is most important. That is what you are buying and wearing. My one and only vintage was bought head only. But on topic if you're going to list as "full kit" it should be everything that was shipped with the watch.
Yes but warranty card is a different league all together
Old 20 December 2017, 10:02 PM   #40
donut
"TRF" Member

Watch: LN/LV/BLNR
I bought two Rolex watches from Bucherer Switzerland and they kept their tag due to their policy. For me, it's fine as long as the serial number matches the number engraved around the dial of the watch.
Old 20 December 2017, 10:04 PM   #41
donut
"TRF" Member

Watch: LN/LV/BLNR
Also heard that Japan ADs implement the same policy as ADs in Switzerland.
Old 20 December 2017, 10:05 PM   #42
KBM

It's nice to have, but after the first 5 seconds you put it back in the box and it becomes irrelevant. It wouldn't stop me from buying a watch, Josh!
Old 20 December 2017, 11:12 PM   #43
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Nothing surprises me anymore...

Over on the Patek subforum we've had entire threads dedicated to the cardboard shipping box that the watch arrives in. Many members expressed disappointment, some even outrage, when Patek instituted a policy requiring ADs to dispose of the shipping container rather than provide it to the customer.

I completley understand the desire for a "full set", but I now realize that this term clearly means different things to different people. "Everything the watch came with" is regionaly and AD dependent, not some written manifest.

"Full set" requires a fully linked watch, original warranty papers, and original presentation box. That's the minimum anyone should walk out of an AD with. Beyond that? Booklets are highly variable and often the ones provided aren't even appropriate for the reference. Bezel protectors, stickers, and the like aren't ephemera, they're trash. Might as well collect packing peanuts.

My opinion only, of course.

Old 20 December 2017, 11:18 PM   #44
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
Nothing surprises me anymore...

Over on the Patek subforum we've had entire threads dedicated to the cardboard shipping box that the watch arrives in. Many members expressed disappointment, some even outrage, when Patek instituted a policy requiring ADs to dispose of the shipping container rather than provide it to the customer.

I completley understand the desire for a "full set", but I now realize that this term clearly means different things to different people. "Everything the watch came with" is regionaly and AD dependent, not some written manifest.

"Full set" requires a fully linked watch, original warranty papers, and original presentation box. That's the minimum anyone should walk out of an AD with. Beyond that? Booklets are highly variable and often the ones provided aren't even appropriate for the reference. Bezel protectors, stickers, and the like aren't ephemera, they're trash. Might as well collect packing peanuts.

My opinion only, of course.

I completely agree. And compared to Patek Rolex seems to be very liberal. I mean look at how much of a fuss people made over removing the Daytona stickers. Try asking an AD to keep any sticker, box etc. on a Patek. Never going to happen.

Old 20 December 2017, 11:18 PM   #45
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Old 20 December 2017, 11:19 PM   #46
Jimbogigolo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona W&B
It’s somewhat important to me. That’s one of the reasons I buy from an AD. I typically walk out with the watch in the coffin still, untouched. This is just my preference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 20 December 2017, 11:19 PM   #47
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
I've only purchased new watches. They have been included every time. Just nice to have them. Would they kill the sale, no.

They'll just get passed on to the new owner along with the things.
TRF #139960
Old 20 December 2017, 11:25 PM   #48
karmatp
"TRF" Member

This is for real? Adds value, are you guys joking.

It is a little green tag, it means nothing. How much value does it add, 2 cents.

I have purchased many new from my AD and even more used Rolex watches over the years and I can honestly say I have no idea if I ever had the green tag or not. When I sold on the forums, I always had complete sets, and I included everything I got from the AD. I don't even know if I included green tags because I don't know if I got them or not.

You guys do realize that back when Rolex cared about its customers they would include actually cool stuff in the box. I used to get anchors that were really great with divers and they used to actually give Rolex polishing cloths.

That is stuff of value in the box, not a green tag
Old 20 December 2017, 11:43 PM   #49
Spoonage
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post

It is a little green tag, it means nothing. How much value does it add, 2 cents.

I have purchased many new from my AD and even more used Rolex watches over the years and I can honestly say I have no idea if I ever had the green tag or not. When I sold on the forums, I always had complete sets, and I included everything I got from the AD. I don't even know if I included green tags because I don't know if I got them or not.

You guys do realize that back when Rolex cared about its customers they would include actually cool stuff in the box. I used to get anchors that were really great with divers and they used to actually give Rolex polishing cloths.

One might argue how much value does an expired warranty card add? Once the warranty period is up it is nothing but a piece of paper (older models) or piece of plastic with the previous owner’s name on it. Again the value is in the watch, not the accessories. Just being devil’s advocate and not trying to stir up too much commotion.

I sure Paul Newman’s Daytona was missing something from the kit... And that sold for a pretty penny.
Old 20 December 2017, 11:44 PM   #50
jrs146
"TRF" Member

How important to you is the green hang tag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post

Well I think it’s an interesting subject and exactly for this reason. Value is perceived differently person to person. Collectors especially are strange in what they perceive as value.

There’s no denying that a box and papers add to resale value. One could make the argument that even those items after the warranty has expired are nothing but paper and plastic. And many collectors put zero stock in those items. They probably save a boat load of money too.

Then there are others who literally won’t purchase a watch if it doesn’t have the original dust from the Rolex factory included inside the box. They’re even willing to pay a premium for that.

Look at some of the recent sales of NOS watches. It’s jaw dropping. An exponentially more expensive watch and for what? Stickers? Value? Depends on if you’re the buyer or not.

So clearly there’s no real answer. And yes many folks are for real because it is important to them. Personally I wouldn’t pay more for a green hang tag but I totally understand those those who would.

Old 20 December 2017, 11:48 PM   #51
Ballzzz

I think its got "some" value BUT if I was hunting for a watch and it seemed like a difficult find that wouldn't stop me. Used is used regardless, unless of course you cannot confirm if its authentic and this green tag would let you sleep easier at night.
Old 20 December 2017, 11:50 PM   #52
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

After paying for a watch, the AD told me they would keep the green hang tag, I told them they could keep the watch to go with the hang tag. I have the watch and hang tag.

I don't know if this would work all the time.
Old 21 December 2017, 01:26 AM   #53
The_Watch_Clocker
Banned

i have bought watches that had the hang tags and bezel protectors and i've bought them just as they are. the boxes sit at the bottom of the closet. the watches sit in a safe.

at the end of the day i don't care as long as the card is there.

i have been in the diamond district looking at watches and heard the guy say to the seller "if you had the original box and papers that would be an extra $1000 to you". i call bs on that one lol.
Old 21 December 2017, 02:52 AM   #54
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Wow! Someone wants $700 for a red sub hang tag:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Vinta...QAAOSwFb5aGFvl

This remind me of the key fob Ferrari dealers gave away when they sold their Ferrari in the 70's. Now those key fobs were being sold for $1000 or more.
Old 21 December 2017, 03:49 AM   #55
Rlxlvr1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Watch_Clocker View Post

i have been in the diamond district looking at watches and heard the guy say to the seller "if you had the original box and papers that would be an extra $1000 to you". i call bs on that one lol.

I wouldn’t trust those shady bastards to buy me lunch....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 21 December 2017, 05:12 AM   #56
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon9

What hang tag??

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
Old 21 December 2017, 06:09 AM   #57
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
When i bought my watch from the AD, i had to order it, they didn't have it in stock. So obviously, it was kept away from display when it arrived, so didn't need to have the tag attached, which is pretty much used to stick the price on it. So, as i expected, i didn't get it. Would have been nice, but can't be considered as a must for a "full set".
Old 12 September 2018, 01:35 PM   #58
ludetuner
"TRF" Member

Just picked up an OP39 and AD said it’s their store policy to keep the serial/price hang tag. Asked a couple reps in the store and they said it’s their company’s (chain store) policy. Wasn’t going to argue with them as A) didn’t appear they had the authority to change the policy and B) they were the only ones that had the white dial in stock :)
Old 12 September 2018, 01:44 PM   #59
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

I'm happy that my AD includes it when I buy a watch so that if I ever have to sell any of my watches it expands my possible market a little bit to include people who would not buy a watch without one.

For me personally buying a used watch it would not make a bit of a difference whether it was included or not as long as I was happy with the condition and price of the piece.
Old 12 September 2018, 01:48 PM   #60
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
For those of you who are interested in full sets, how important is the green hang tag?

You come across the perfect watch. It has the warranty papers. The outer and inner box. All the manuals are present. The Red/green chronometer tag is included. But wait... no green tag...

I’d say half the “full sets” I’ve purchased used over the years came without the green tag. I’ve heard some AD’s keep these although I’ve never had one keep it when I’ve bought new.

So would you pass on a watch because of a missing green tag?

I’m specifically asking the opinion of the folks who look for the full set.

Are you referring to the "Swimpruf" green hang tag?
Closed Thread