The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 September 2018, 09:35 AM   #31
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Buy your dream watch! SubC
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 09:38 AM   #32
CaliBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
How about a DayDate? Jk... obviously da sub
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 09:49 AM   #33
SubMarin18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
My only Rolex, which was my dream watch, would be my vote-114060.
SubMarin18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 09:56 AM   #34
thegents
Banned

i would go with the sub for sure
thegents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 09:57 AM   #35
JacksonStone
Banned

My recommendation would be to get the watch you really want - which sounds like a Sub - AND keep the PO. Resale on a 12-year-old PO won't be worth what the watch means to you. I would say there is a good chance you would regret selling it. Besides, there is nothing wrong with having two different divers by two different brands in two different color schemes.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 10:06 AM   #36
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
My recommendation would be to get the watch you really want - which sounds like a Sub - AND keep the PO. Resale on a 12-year-old PO won't be worth what the watch means to you. I would say there is a good chance you would regret selling it. Besides, there is nothing wrong with having two different divers by two different brands in two different color schemes.
Totally agree! Get your dream watch SubC and keep your sentimental Omega PO. You're not going to get much for it unfortunately, so just keep and enjoy. Okay to have more than one dive watch as there are no rules. I still have my 11 year old Omega Seamaster 300M which I enjoy and have no plans to sell. Good luck. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 10:29 AM   #37
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Definitely the sub but keep the Omega, the sentimental value of it is much greater than the money you would get.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 10:32 AM   #38
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
TBH, when you're torn, you're going to end up with both. So don't think of it as either/or, think of it as which one first.

Hard to beat a sub for the first, IMO.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 11:06 AM   #39
Ajax Ademaro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Planet Ocean
Wow, I’m overwhelmed with the amount of replies. I appreciate every one of them. I think my true feelings echo most of yours, the subc is really the one for me. Even though I can afford the OP sooner, I think deep down I’d always wish I saved a bit longer.

In regards to the PO, I think that’s a decision for another day. I’ve always been a one watch guy and I don’t see that changing if I pick up the sub. Good thing I have a little while to think about it.

Thank you again for all your advice.

Cheers
Ajax Ademaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 11:06 AM   #40
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Torn between two watches as my first Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax Ademaro View Post
Hi guys,

I am currently saving for my first Rolex but i've run into a bit of a conundrum that I was hoping I could get your opinion on.

I am torn between the new Rolex OP 39 114300 (black dial) and the SubC No Date 14060.

What is adding to my situation is that I currently own a Omega PO 2500 (orange dial) which I have had 12 years. The watch has been my one and only and carries a lot of sentimental value. It wasn't a gift, but has been on my wrist for alot of big experiences in my life.

If I'm being honest, the Submariner has always been my dream watch. However, If I purchase the sub, I would sell my Omega to fund it as I don't want to own two dive watches. I also know, that the PO wouldn't get much love compared to the Suband I don't want it to sit around and collect dust.

If I purchase the OP 114300, I wold keep the Omega and rock a two watch rotation. I could see the OP taking the majority of wrist time as I work in an office environment. The Omega would be my casual, weekend watch.

Sentimentality indicates I should keep the Omega and buy the OP. However, I feel like I would always dream about the Sub...

What would you guys do?

Sub. Down the road, you can add something later.

I was going to go with the OP or Explorer to save money. So glad I got the Sub. That’s what I wanted. That’s what I got. If you get the OP, you will still want the Sub but will be even further away from getting one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 11:15 AM   #41
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
14060, no doubt.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 11:18 AM   #42
Oceanblue
"TRF" Member

I'd go with the Sub no date. Proportions and symmetry are simply perfect.
Oceanblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 11:21 AM   #43
westsideclock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
Get the Sub. You will end up getting it anyway. I can tell by your post that it is your "dream" watch. I am biased though as Subs are my favorite watch of all time. While I dig Subs from all eras the modern version with the glide lock is just a great watch to wear.
I agree that you will eventually end up getting it. Which is why I say get the op, then get the Sub down the road
westsideclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 11:24 AM   #44
BVLDARI
"TRF" Member

I would buy your dream watch. You answered your own question in your post it would appear
BVLDARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 11:44 AM   #45
Deep18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Sub. One of the iconic Rolex models.
Deep18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 11:46 AM   #46
dafuture
"TRF" Member

Test drive the Sub before you sell the PO. That way if it isn't as you dreamed, you can flip it and get the OP.
Old 12 September 2018, 11:51 AM   #47
littleolemoi
"TRF" Member

I say get your " dream " watch or else you'll always be chasing it in the future.

I understand the sentimental values of what you have now but let it go. It's the past and you'll always cherish that in your heart.

Look forward to the future and the many new memories your " dream " watch will provide!!!

Good luck with your decision!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
littleolemoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 11:55 AM   #48
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
SubC is my vote. Get the one you prefer,though. Everyone starts out with one watch. Downhill from there.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 12:26 PM   #49
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

go for the sub
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 12:29 PM   #50
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Sub 100%. Iconic and you said it's your dream watch. I would save more and keep your Omega. I find myself regretting selling anything I have sentimental value with.
importstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 12:54 PM   #51
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Hi guys,

If I purchase the sub, I would sell my Omega to fund it as I don't want to own two dive watches.
Why not?

Quote:
Sentimentality indicates I should keep the Omega and buy the OP. However, I feel like I would always dream about the Sub...

What would you guys do?
I think you've answered your own question.

I think you should buy the OP and get the Sub later and keep all three.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 01:07 PM   #52
ludetuner
"TRF" Member

I have a SubC, Seamaster, Speedy Pro and just bought the OP39 with a white dial. While I enjoy wearing them all, putting on the SubC and Speedy (a close second) put a huge smile on my face. I’ll go with the SubC
ludetuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 01:08 PM   #53
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuanDangle View Post
Scratching three inches away from the itch is never as gratifying as scratching the itch.

However, memories associated to your PO will never be replaced. You can store it away and create new ones with your Sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Couldn't agree more. Be patient and save until you can buy the SubC and retain the Omega.

Spend some 'in store' time with the OP and Sub. You may think the SubC is your grail, but be absolutely sure before selling a watch which clearly has irreplaceable memories for you.

I've read many posts from members that think they've finally found their grail only to realise pictures and reviews only can provide so much info. After a few days, weeks or months they realise they cannot 'bond' with the piece and end up flipping it.

Take your time, the Sub ain't going anywhere - the Omega is a significant part of your life, so keep that in mind too.

Good luck,
Mark

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 01:47 PM   #54
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmp View Post
Couldn't agree more. Be patient and save until you can buy the SubC and retain the Omega.

Spend some 'in store' time with the OP and Sub. You may think the SubC is your grail, but be absolutely sure before selling a watch which clearly has irreplaceable memories for you.

I've read many posts from members that think they've finally found their grail only to realise pictures and reviews only can provide so much info. After a few days, weeks or months they realise they cannot 'bond' with the piece and end up flipping it.

Take your time, the Sub ain't going anywhere - the Omega is a significant part of your life, so keep that in mind too.

Good luck,
Mark

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 02:18 PM   #55
Aloha808
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Keep the Omega and buy the sub, cheers.
Aloha808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 02:44 PM   #56
D O C
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710LN
Get the Submariner. But consider the 114060. It is an updated and superior watch; I think you'd like it. Let us know and post pics when you do. Good luck.

D O C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 03:06 PM   #57
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D O C View Post
Get the Submariner. But consider the 114060. It is an updated and superior watch; I think you'd like it. Let us know and post pics when you do. Good luck.
I think he is talking about the 114060. He referred to it as a "SubC No Date 14060," but I presume he inadvertently omitted a 1 from the model number.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 03:13 PM   #58
Ajax Ademaro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Planet Ocean
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
I think he is talking about the 114060. He referred to it as a "SubC No Date 14060," but I presume he inadvertently omitted a 1 from the model number.
You are correct, I meant the 114060. Thanks 👍🏻
Ajax Ademaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 04:41 PM   #59
marcopolo05
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi guys,

I am currently saving for my first Rolex but i've run into a bit of a conundrum that I was hoping I could get your opinion on.

I am torn between the new Rolex OP 39 114300 (black dial) and the SubC No Date 14060.

What is adding to my situation is that I currently own a Omega PO 2500 (orange dial) which I have had 12 years. The watch has been my one and only and carries a lot of sentimental value. It wasn't a gift, but has been on my wrist for alot of big experiences in my life.

If I'm being honest, the Submariner has always been my dream watch. However, If I purchase the sub, I would sell my Omega to fund it as I don't want to own two dive watches. I also know, that the PO wouldn't get much love compared to the Suband I don't want it to sit around and collect dust.

If I purchase the OP 114300, I wold keep the Omega and rock a two watch rotation. I could see the OP taking the majority of wrist time as I work in an office environment. The Omega would be my casual, weekend watch.

What would you guys do?
I understand your trouble...

You say you would sell the PO to fund the sub. However this is not the case for the OP.

Can I assume that you therefore not really need the funds in order to purchase the sub? If so, I would recommend getting the sub and keep the PO for a bit longer.

This will confirm or not if both really can't work together. Maybe you can make it work because they are still very different despite both being divers :)

Envoyé de mon ONEPLUS A6003 en utilisant Tapatalk
marcopolo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 06:24 PM   #60
matches
"TRF" Member

Sub, go with the classic first
matches is offline   Reply With Quote