The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 April 2019, 10:56 AM   #31
Tseg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
Hmm, I have a 2014 BLNR that started at +2 spd and is now +5 spd. I’m thinking of getting it serviced and the plc’s are proper worn... nearly a brushed look on the outside wrist side. With all the hype about BLNR’s and oyster bracelets it makes me wonder if there has ever been a bad bracelet polishing experience? I usually only hear concern for the watch head.
Tseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 11:13 AM   #32
ltmgeller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I've has 6 or 7 watches serviced at NY RSC and never had a complaint.
Old 17 April 2019, 11:44 AM   #33
173rdabn
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
RSC will do a great job and it will look like new. I call BS on the frequent and questionable comments that RSC over polished my watch, rounded the case, etc. Most likely, your jeweler sent it to a non Rolex repair center that did the deed.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 01:48 PM   #34
a_plus1234
"TRF" Member

I bet ~85% of the watches in the FS section are polished. They all look great. If done right, it will look good as new . I’d have no reservation having RSC polish.
a_plus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 02:27 PM   #35
Skavary
"TRF" Member

How do you guys feel about cleaning up the scratches yourself? Does cape cod or scotch brite do decent jobs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skavary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 05:47 PM   #36
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skavary View Post
How do you guys feel about cleaning up the scratches yourself? Does cape cod or scotch brite do decent jobs?
Yes, very easy DIY and in the past I used it quite frequent. Now I don't anymore.
Grown to like scratches because it makes no sense to keep on detailing your watch if you wear it daily. A battle you are going to loose regardless
Old 17 April 2019, 05:49 PM   #37
Skavary
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Yes, very easy DIY and in the past I used it quite frequent. Now I don't anymore.

Grown to like scratches because it makes no sense to keep on detailing your watch if you wear it daily. A battle you are going to loose regardless

Thanks for the insight! Do they both do well with light scratches? Which is better you think?
Old 17 April 2019, 06:49 PM   #38
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skavary View Post
Thanks for the insight! Do they both do well with light scratches? Which is better you think?
How I used to do it;

Remove the bracelet and I found it most easy to tape it to a piece of cardboard. Remove and fit the springbars only from the bottom to avoid scratches on top of the lugs.

Cape Cod should only be used on the polished surfaces. With some good quality masking tape the brushed area's to be protected. For deeper scratches it'll take some elbow grease.
Rinse the Cape Cod smelly liquid afterwards in hot water.

The Scotch Brite or red 3M should only be used on the brushed part of the bracelet with the polished parts covered with tape.
Use long strokes with slight pressure in one direction following the grain of the finish until your satisfied.
Taping it up takes more time than the finishing.

Be careful with the watch head and make sure to tape the brushed lugs. Go easy with the Cape Cod not to destroy the angle between polished and brushed surface.

The original brushed finish on a lug is under an angle. Best to leave it alone.

If you must a glass fibre scratch pen (Bergeon) will be probably the best DIY option for touching up a lug.
I use this pen for fixing up the bottom side of the lugs whenever I mess up fitting the bracelet.

As long as you don't overdo it the results will be very nice. However after a few weeks of wear it will look the same again as before the exercise.
I find it pretty useless nowadays
Old 17 April 2019, 07:33 PM   #39
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_plus1234 View Post
I bet ~85% of the watches in the FS section are polished. They all look great. If done right, it will look good as new . I’d have no reservation having RSC polish.
This. I get that there is a small group of enthusiasts that just must have watches as close to factory as possible. I can respect that. I just don't agree for me personally. I wear my watches. They are not safe Queens. So when they need to be fixed up every ten years I'll do it. RSC. LAWW. Whatever. Unless you only deal in NOS and unworn stuff, these watches were meant be worn. I think the effect of nicely done refinishing on value is minimal, and as long as you are using one of the top independents or RSC, the effect on the watch is minimal. Other than to make it look great!
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 06:53 AM   #40
Skavary
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
How I used to do it;

Remove the bracelet and I found it most easy to tape it to a piece of cardboard. Remove and fit the springbars only from the bottom to avoid scratches on top of the lugs.

Cape Cod should only be used on the polished surfaces. With some good quality masking tape the brushed area's to be protected. For deeper scratches it'll take some elbow grease.
Rinse the Cape Cod smelly liquid afterwards in hot water.

The Scotch Brite or red 3M should only be used on the brushed part of the bracelet with the polished parts covered with tape.
Use long strokes with slight pressure in one direction following the grain of the finish until your satisfied.
Taping it up takes more time than the finishing.

Be careful with the watch head and make sure to tape the brushed lugs. Go easy with the Cape Cod not to destroy the angle between polished and brushed surface.

The original brushed finish on a lug is under an angle. Best to leave it alone.

If you must a glass fibre scratch pen (Bergeon) will be probably the best DIY option for touching up a lug.
I use this pen for fixing up the bottom side of the lugs whenever I mess up fitting the bracelet.

As long as you don't overdo it the results will be very nice. However after a few weeks of wear it will look the same again as before the exercise.
I find it pretty useless nowadays
Thanks for your insight! I really appreciate it!
Old 21 October 2020, 04:39 AM   #41
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Today there is more internet generated hype about polishing than the actual watches mostly anti polish god know why.Below a picture of my own personal working tool watch SD,it was used and many times abused for many years underwater as a real working tool.And has been serviced and polished by 3 different RSC world wide,picture taken in Singapore after last service.This working tool has seen more use that todays mainly pampered watches will see in ten lifetimes.

Beautiful watch.
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 05:10 AM   #42
HiDive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Seadweller50
Polish

I have sent several watches to RSC NYC for full overhauls and every time they come back looking new. I agree that this is one of the reasons Rolex watches and some other quality brands are desireable. The RSC knows how to do it properly and restore the finish of the watch to a brand new look. There is no reason to not have it done unless you would like you watch to look scratched up and beat over the years. Rolex put the finish on the watch originally, why wouldn't you think they would know how to do it again.
HiDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 09:08 AM   #43
Strad
"TRF" Member

I recently had my 16610LV serviced at the RSC in Lititz, PA. I had this done because it was losing time after 10 years. I was very pleased with all aspects of the service with the exception that when they polish the bezel the sharp edges on the bezel get smoothed out a little. Not a huge deal but I thought I should mention it.

If your bezel is in good shape I would ask them not to polish the bezel.

It is now back within COSC which is what I really wanted.
Strad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 11:13 AM   #44
Grnvette65
"TRF" Member

I’ve had several watches overhauled and polished by RSC NY and the watches came back like new. There will always be some errors made, we are all human, however I think it’s the minority as most are vocal about bad jobs. I would let them polish it. As mentioned the bezel on my date just lost some of the sharpness to the fluting and next service I will have the bezel replaced, no worries.
Grnvette65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nyc , polish , rolex , rsc