The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 January 2020, 04:53 AM   #31
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by playing4time View Post
Thanks for this tip - just had a quick search and there are some really good options here... And yes I agree, the Daytona is indeed a real classic
You can get a daytona SS for about £15k
Solid investment and an all time classic
Halifax Daytona UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 04:56 AM   #32
playing4time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangier11 View Post
I vote for the YM. If you try one on vs the maxi lugs you will love it!!
I actually managed to find the YM 40 in both dial variations, a Daytona, and some others with large lugs / profiles as a comparison to try on today - definitely prefer the smaller profile on my wrist!
playing4time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 08:18 AM   #33
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I would take this month to figure out which watch you want the most regardless of “scarcity” and then use the next 9 months to make it happen. Nothing worse then “settling” when getting a new watch IMO.

Besides the ones mentioned, given your wrist size you could consider a 5 digit sub, gmt master or exp2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 09:34 AM   #34
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

It’s a sign I’m getting old when 1980 is “vintage”. 1960-70’s in my generation but I suppose that’s already 40 years ago. Lol

That being said, a sub or GMT from that era have bullet proof movements and wouldn’t scare me a bit to have as a daily wearer. At your budget, there are fine examples for sale. Look for a reputable dealer or a private party collector with a lot of references. There is a lot of experienced collectors here on TRF in the vintage section forum I’m sure would help you.

I can also add, having a birth year watch is just extra icing on the cake of owning a fine piece.

As to a TT verses SS, my first nice watch was a TT Sub purchased when I was around 22. It was my daily wearer and only watch for 18 years and loved it.

Good luck with your hunt and happy birthday in advance!

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 09:38 AM   #35
playing4time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
If you're happy with the 116234, then the good news is that a 36 mm watch works well for you. Since you are looking for professional models, you only referenced the YM 116622 which is a great choice. I would also consider the Explorer 114270 36mm or 214270 explorer 39mm.

As for the circa 1980 models, many have mentioned vintage has minefields to be weary and keep you away. While this can be true, It doesn't take away from the appeal of early 5 digit pieces. They are slim and and the case lugs are not the maxi case so the watch looks sleek and maybe elegant, with beautiful chamfered case. Purchase from vendors who specialize in vintage will help even a beginner get the right piece. Vintage dealers Matthewbain, HQ Milton and EricWindVintage have evaluated the pieces and priced accordingly.
It’s encouraging to hear you think the YM is a great choice, thanks! While I like the Explorer II, I’m not quite sure I ‘get’ the Explorer - don’t know why, it just doesn’t call out to me, which is a shame because on paper I do think it’s a great option....
And thanks for the vintage advice - will keep an eye on those recommended sites - they didn’t seem to have anything from 1980 right now, but aside from liking the aesthetics, I honestly didn’t know where to start with any confidence on this front - these seem great...!
Old 3 January 2020, 09:43 AM   #36
playing4time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
I would take this month to figure out which watch you want the most regardless of “scarcity” and then use the next 9 months to make it happen. Nothing worse then “settling” when getting a new watch IMO.

Besides the ones mentioned, given your wrist size you could consider a 5 digit sub, gmt master or exp2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is exactly my plan! Thanks for validating - I was wondering whether I was going about it the right way...! Although I’m not sure 9 months is long enough to source a new steel Daytona if that ends up being my preferred choice....! (Without paying up for it that is....) :(
Re your recommendations, the latter two are definitely firmly on my radar - thanks!
Old 3 January 2020, 09:52 AM   #37
playing4time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxaDavid View Post
It’s a sign I’m getting old when 1980 is “vintage”. 1960-70’s in my generation but I suppose that’s already 40 years ago. Lol

That being said, a sub or GMT from that era have bullet proof movements and wouldn’t scare me a bit to have as a daily wearer. At your budget, there are fine examples for sale. Look for a reputable dealer or a private party collector with a lot of references. There is a lot of experienced collectors here on TRF in the vintage section forum I’m sure would help you.

I can also add, having a birth year watch is just extra icing on the cake of owning a fine piece.

As to a TT verses SS, my first nice watch was a TT Sub purchased when I was around 22. It was my daily wearer and only watch for 18 years and loved it.

Good luck with your hunt and happy birthday in advance!

Lol re the 80s being vintage - I know how you feel....

Thanks for the advice on the vintage section of this site - I might post a corresponding thread there to see if I can get some expert help, but to be honest, I might just get something newer and safer for now, continue with my learning and new found love of watches and save that conquest for my 50th, or for the next big work milestone... I do agree that it’s something great to have, and I’ll definitely figure it out at some point...

Re TT vs SS - noted! I’m actually really open to either, so I guess it will come down to availability at the end of the day...

Thanks for the good luck and birthday wishes! (Seems very strange to be getting birthday messages at this point in the year....! ;) )
Old 3 January 2020, 09:56 AM   #38
playing4time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Daytona UK View Post
You can get a daytona SS for about £15k
Solid investment and an all time classic
Thanks.... I am really tempted, particularly on the slightly older models...
Old 3 January 2020, 10:07 AM   #39
playing4time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faimag View Post
I like the YM idea. Not so common and you will probably be able to get one without going nuts!

Whichever you decide to get, happy birthday!
Aside from the fact I just really like it, these are two important points for me! Thanks!
Old 3 January 2020, 10:13 AM   #40
playing4time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutats View Post
The vintage birth year watch is a novel idea however vintage watches do have their nuances when compared to their modern equivalent in terms of robustness.

The 116500LN does wear considerably smaller on the wrist than other 40mm Rolex Professional models so it may be worth just doing a one-off ring around to authorised dealers to register your interest and letting them know your target birthday purchase. Size-wise a 116400 isn't too far off either.

Also there's Baselworld 2020 happening in a few months, and there may be a newly announced watch that you may want instead which you may be able to purchase later in the year.
Re Baselworld, timing wise, I think this should work out - after I’ve decided which model to try to hunt down, I’m not sure I’m going to find my watch before that time anyway....!
But yes, visiting as many ADs as possible to try to get what I want is very much part of the plan....!

Out of curiosity, is it bad form to register interest with a number of ADs for a specific watch - it’s not frowned upon by Rolex or anything is it? (Do Rolex even have sight into these infamous waiting lists??)
Old 3 January 2020, 10:14 AM   #41
playing4time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
I would suggest staying clear of vintage at this point, it’s a mine field for the inexperienced
Yeah, I think this is good advice, and a pretty common theme from the responses so far.... Thanks!
Old 3 January 2020, 10:18 AM   #42
playing4time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I would stay out of the vintage market as there are a lot of things that could go wrong. The YM is a fine looking watch but one that does not get a lot of love on the Forum or else where. Not sure why but that is the way it is. A 36mm DD in white gold work work and be somewhat under the radar except to those of us that know. You can but a modern, complete one, close to your budget and have a great watch. You can also change the dials out down the road for a different look should you desire.
Thanks re the vintage advice... Re white gold DD, it’s a beautiful watch, but I think I’m after something more sporty to go alongside my DJ for now.... Good call though...
Old 3 January 2020, 12:31 PM   #43
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
i'd definitely go with a sub, it pairs well with a datejust and that's what i own currently right now~
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice sought , london