The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 November 2020, 12:57 AM   #61
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
I find it interesting that people seem almost offended that the OP used the term NOS for this DJ. Does it really matter that the condition was over-stated? He’s not trying to sell it. Sounds just like exuberance for a new purchase.

He probably should have just said he found a vintage DJ in great condition that comes as a super full set, down to the original serial number tag. I’d be happy to own this watch (for the right price).
As soon as I saw the title of the thread, I knew exactly what would happen. People just get riled up when something is called NOS. And while I understand that people want the term to be used accurately, some of the comments in this thread are just completely wrong. I'm not saying that the OP watch is actually NOS (it's not, IMO), but a NOS watch can absolutely exhibit noticeable wear from handling and storage. It is not the same thing as "mint".

But as you noted, this is all semantics and basically irrelevant. It's a great full-set and a nice watch, that would be an excellent addition to a Rolex collection. Price is entirely up to the OP as far as I'm concerned. He didn't even have to bring it up.
Old 2 November 2020, 01:23 AM   #62
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
I find it interesting that people seem almost offended that the OP used the term NOS for this DJ. Does it really matter that the condition was over-stated? He’s not trying to sell it. Sounds just like exuberance for a new purchase.

He probably should have just said he found a vintage DJ in great condition that comes as a super full set, down to the original serial number tag. I’d be happy to own this watch (for the right price).
Not offended here, could care less if "overstated". Just don't think it's ok to stretch the definition of NOS. The watch has clearly been used and worn. Just because it's in decent shape and has box, all papers, and tags does not qualify it.

If the OP wants to buy and wear the watch more power to him, it's a nice piece with all originals in tact. That's all it is, a nice piece.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 02:44 AM   #63
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Just because it's in decent shape and has box, all papers, and tags does not qualify it.
I agree we need to be careful about using the term NOS, but we also need to be careful not to mislead in the other direction. This DJ is much better than "decent" or just "OK." I'd call it excellent.

I've obsessed over vintage DJs for years and have owned many. I'm old enough to have bought a DJ new from an AD that would now be considered vintage.

While they're plentiful on the market, the vast majority are mediocre, beat-up and/or over-polished. This example is clearly not in that category.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 03:01 AM   #64
Abre
"TRF" Member

I didn’t buy the watch yet, I’ll try to visit the store in the next couple of days and I will wipe the watch and have better pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Abre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 06:33 AM   #65
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
As stated not NOS... that word is used very loosely on lots of markets
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 06:59 AM   #66
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

"Great shape" is a spectrum. "NOS" is not.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 07:22 AM   #67
applebook
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
This watch is not NOS at all and far from mint condition. It has been worn and repolished. The seller is a liar. Get away from this watch. And the deal is not great at all!
Yes, it looks polished to me also, but not by Rolex
Old 2 November 2020, 11:55 AM   #68
motoikkyu
"TRF" Member

Can New Old Stock watch have scratches or "shop-wear"? Absolutely. But I agree that we need to be rather scrupulous about using the NOS label. If it can't be sold as unworn, it's not NOS. Have I bought new watches with minor scratches? Yes, but only consistent with "shop-wear". Otherwise, it's a used watch: "crispy", "minty", what have you, but NOT NOS.I don't even have a problem with watches described as "nearly-NOS", I know what I'm getting -- a superb used example, nearly mint-in-box. But actual NOS, let's reserve that for the real deal.
Old 3 November 2020, 04:16 AM   #69
doramas
Banned

It's almost NOS
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 04:38 AM   #70
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
I like quasi-NOS!
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2020, 12:02 PM   #71
JEAJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118235
Wear it and enjoy wearing it.
JEAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2020, 01:09 PM   #72
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

I think NOS, unpolished, Mint and Rare get used way too much when it comes to watches. 95% of the time these words are used to cover up the fact that the watch isnt any of them.
Old 5 November 2020, 03:30 PM   #73
Austin in Japan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Steel Professional
Not NOS at all.
Austin in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 05:41 AM   #74
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Let's suppose that it is NOS, and I would maintain that it cannot be unless it is actually New, and in Stock at the original Dealer.

If you purchase such a piece, and it is for other than a museum, it would be foolish to pay any more than Market Price. Once it is worn for even a short while, it is now an almost 40 year old used watch.

There are some excellent values out there for an older watch that has been well cared for.

Unless it is a known collectible, a 37 year old watch would never be worth a more modern watch plus cash - the value just isn't there.

Tags
16030 , advice sought