The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 April 2021, 04:40 PM   #1
MickeyDonuts
"TRF" Member

Having a wobble

I’ve wanted a DateJust ever since seeing them dazzle in the window at Watches of Switzerland when I first started working in the city. Fast forward 30 years and my husband has said he wants to buy me one for our 20th wedding anniversary. So, I’m going to try on a few DJ36s today at an AD who has a few in stock. I’ve been staring at photos, lusting over different dials and deciding whether to flute or not and I’ve driven my family nuts with my constant ‘look at this one’!

My wobble is ..... yes we can afford the price tag but anyone else found it emotionally hard handing over the credit card? It’s a lot of money and I’m thinking ‘do I need it’. I’m not looking for reassurance as it’s all relative but just wondered if anyone else had second thoughts about the action of buying an expensive piece of jewellery.
MickeyDonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 04:57 PM   #2
dontbeshort
"TRF" Member

Watch: LN LV BLRO BLNR
You’ll regret the things you DONT do in life!
dontbeshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 05:01 PM   #3
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Having a wobble

Rest assured that Rolex is one of the cheapest ways to enjoy the luxury lifestyle.

Only regret awaits if you don’t do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 05:05 PM   #4
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Yes of course.

Sometimes when you buy a watch you have that sinking feeling the moment you press enter on that card machine.

Then I guarantee that with all evaporate as soon as you walk out with it.

You got to have what you want in life. And as a sweetener, if you are thinking about the money, even if you tell yourself you are not, these watches hold most if not all the money you spend on them, if you ever need to sell.

Ps if it’s your one watch and you want versatility
Flutted bezel, on oyster bracelet, your pick of dial. I like blue and black. Good luck!
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 05:09 PM   #5
Master_Grogu
Banned

Understandable. Never have I bought something with the feeling you describe, and been happy with my new item.

When I really want something and know it’s a good addition to my life, I have absolutely no issue paying the price.

However, when, in the back of my head, I have this “wait, that’s a lot of money”, then I know something is wrong. I sometimes pushed against it but it never ended well.

My advice here would be to ask yourself, would you rather have the item, or that somebody gave you the equivalent of money ?
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 05:13 PM   #6
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
We've all been there. But you will only regret if you don't buy what you want. Of course this is a "want", not a "need" but life is also about wanting. .
Thank goodness cash is generally not accepted for such purchases. I've done that too and it was the only time I've ever had the "sinking feeling".
minute_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 05:15 PM   #7
grimps
"TRF" Member

If it's the money that's the concern you could probably get 0% interest free credit at WOS or Goldsmiths on a Datejust 36 and that'll save you any credit card fees , if you took that out over 3 years then after 3 years the watch would probably still be worth what you paid for it so basically they're giving you a watch to wear for 3 years for free.
I own 3 Datejusts in different variations and recommended the fluted on a jubilee bracelet for that model.
Saying that as everyone will tell you on here buy the model you like , it'll be you wearing it
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 05:16 PM   #8
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post
If it's the money that's the concern you could probably get 0% interest free credit at WOS or Goldsmiths on a Datejust 36 and that'll save you any credit card fees , if you took that out over 3 years then after 3 years the watch would probably still be worth what you paid for it so basically they're giving you a watch to wear for 3 years for free.
I own 3 Datejusts in different variations and recommended the fluted on a jubilee bracelet for that model.
Saying that as everyone will tell you on here buy the model you like , it'll be you wearing it

Don’t lie to people. Datejusts depreciate.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 05:16 PM   #9
Madman37
"TRF" Member

As long as you don’t buy it thinking it’s an investment you will be really happy with it. It’s an achievement. I would do one thing I would check Chrono24 to make sure the retail price is right and that the greys are not selling it cheaper. I might be wrong but the ladies watches might be on a more discounted price.
Madman37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 05:17 PM   #10
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
I’m sure that the fluted bezel models were the one that dazzled your eyes and made you lust for one so go fluted as this bezel is Rolex’s strongest DJ DNA feature.
As for having second thoughts on wether it is worth the pennies or not, it does, and you’ll soon find that having this watch sitting on your wrist after so many years of wanting one is gonna be way more rewarding than the sum of its money being sitting in the bank.

Old 12 April 2021, 05:18 PM   #11
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDonuts View Post
I’ve wanted a DateJust ever since seeing them dazzle in the window at Watches of Switzerland when I first started working in the city. Fast forward 30 years and my husband has said he wants to buy me one for our 20th wedding anniversary. So, I’m going to try on a few DJ36s today at an AD who has a few in stock. I’ve been staring at photos, lusting over different dials and deciding whether to flute or not and I’ve driven my family nuts with my constant ‘look at this one’!

My wobble is ..... yes we can afford the price tag but anyone else found it emotionally hard handing over the credit card? It’s a lot of money and I’m thinking ‘do I need it’. I’m not looking for reassurance as it’s all relative but just wondered if anyone else had second thoughts about the action of buying an expensive piece of jewelry.
A Rolex is an asset, not a consumable good. So, after you "spend" the money on a Rolex, you still have that same amount of wealth (minus a small amount of initial depreciation from MSRP, depending on the model), its just in the form of a Rolex and not cash in your bank account. If you need the money, its still there, just the same as if it had been sitting in your cash account. You just have to go through the additional step of selling the watch.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 05:24 PM   #12
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My wobble is ..... yes we can afford the price tag but anyone else found it emotionally hard handing over the credit card? It’s a lot of money and I’m thinking ‘do I need it’. I’m not looking for reassurance as it’s all relative but just wondered if anyone else had second thoughts about the action of buying an expensive piece of jewellery.
I had the anxiety when I purchased my first Rolex as well (a Datejust II), but rest assured (for me anyway), the joy of owning and wearing a Rolex right out of the AD was unparalleled.

The problem for me was that I thought I was only ever going to just own one Rolex, how naive I was... fast forward almost 10 years later, I'm at 6 pieces now.

Every time I decided to pull the trigger on a piece I want, I'd go to the bank to withdraw cash to negotiate a bargain with the dealer, and every time I see that pile of cash I'd doubt myself thinking "Wow, that is a big pile of cash, is it really worth it to spend that much for just a watch?" - and sure enough, every time I pick up the watch and put it on my wrist, that thought just disappears instantly.

Everyone is different and have things they long for, I guess Rolex watches are my thing. I want to also add that I do not put myself in a difficult financial situation in order to get these watches, I have my priorities taken care of before deciding to pull the trigger.
Old 12 April 2021, 05:29 PM   #13
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Having aspirations and realising them is healthy in my book, if done responsibility. Of course you don't need it. That's the wrong question. How about something like "is it good value for money?". Now you're talking. You'll never need to buy a new watch again and it will last generations. It's one of the most sensible things you will ever buy. And it's nice.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 05:52 PM   #14
grimps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
Don’t lie to people. Datejusts depreciate.

Well after more than 3 years of owning all of mine they're worth around what I paid for them by secondary prices , Rolex have increased prices every year since.
Some models retain the price better than others but you wouldn't lose a great deal if you sold the watch after several years.
There's not many products you could wear for everyday for several years and get your money back on.
Not that the OP would be interested in selling
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 06:08 PM   #15
Crunchie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
The only way to lessen the sting is to take as long as you need to decide on the model you want, then BUY THAT EXACT ONE.

Don’t buy the one they have in stock. Don’t buy the one the sales assistant pushes. Don’t buy the one that’s £500 cheaper.

Buy the exact one you want, then forget the price and keep it forever.
Crunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 08:27 PM   #16
"TRF" Member

as we say here in Russia - it is better TO DO and regret once, then NOT to do and regret to the rest of your life
28337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 08:45 PM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I look at buying things like watches as money I may never see again. Yes it’s nice that the brand retains its value, but I but I don’t see it as spending a lot of money relatively speaking.

If it’s painful in the sense that it gives you stress or anxiety of any kind, I’d advise against it. It’s just a watch and there are much more important things to spend money on IMHO.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 08:53 PM   #18
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I look at buying things like watches as money I may never see again. Yes it’s nice that the brand retains its value, but I but I don’t see it as spending a lot of money relatively speaking.

If it’s painful in the sense that it gives you stress or anxiety of any kind, I’d advise against it. It’s just a watch and there are much more important things to spend money on IMHO.
I personally agree with this advice. You may not enjoy wearing it because of the worry it causes you.

I don’t go to the extent of money I’ll never see again but look at it that I could in most cases recover half the money if I was desperate.
JSolution is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 08:53 PM   #19
madgpol
"TRF" Member

None of us need these watches in our lives but we do so because of the enjoyment they bring us. If you can afford it and you're not going to be eating beans on toast for the rest of the year then why not.

You appear to have wanted one for a considerable amount of time and it still excites you so I'd say follow your heart.

Just a word of warning. Many of us didn't stop at one .

Good luck with whatever you decide
madgpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 08:58 PM   #20
Master_Grogu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
The only way to lessen the sting is to take as long as you need to decide on the model you want, then BUY THAT EXACT ONE.

Don’t buy the one they have in stock. Don’t buy the one the sales assistant pushes. Don’t buy the one that’s £500 cheaper.

Buy the exact one you want, then forget the price and keep it forever.
Very true. I received, years ago, a watch that was, at the time, 6000$. It was not serious money like Patek, but it was still an expensive and luxurious timepiece.

I hated it, it was heavy, hurt my wrist, and to this day, the reason why I don’t want a chrono.

Even as a free item, I didn’t like it. So I can only imagine what would happen if I did spend 6000$ on something I don’t like.
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 09:01 PM   #21
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

Hand them your card and look away.
Enjoy your new watch����
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 09:07 PM   #22
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
A good choice in the DJ 36 mm. A classic watch and I would get one with the fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet and go classic. I see certain items as a check off and move on. This watch has been wanted for a long time and the excitement sounds like it is significant. Don't over think it. Find the model you want and get the best deal and buy it and start the ownership experience. As a fellow told me one time, "they don't give away Cadillac's and Rolex's, you are going to have to pay for them." I might change the Cadillac part but you get the point. Go get your watch and enjoy.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 09:19 PM   #23
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Quote:

Spend the money on experiences instead, like the joys of travel and experiencing the wide world of history and culture. Memories last a lifetime until senility kicks in but then again your belongings would be affected too.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 04:51 AM   #24
Oaker1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbeshort View Post
You’ll regret the things you DONT do in life!
This is a great saying 👍
Oaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 05:12 AM   #25
Qwarktastic
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 114060
I'm not really adding anything new here, but agree with the others. No harm in wanting something and going for it, as long as it's comfortable for you on the financial side of things. Will the price still bother you in five years? I find that a useful barometer.
Qwarktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 05:36 AM   #26
Yacht-Master
"TRF" Member

As long as you are up to date on your bills, have no debt and a financial plan/savings and this purchase will not impact those things - buy it.

Buying something when you really can't afford it is not a plan with legs.

Rolex typically retains its value, but face it, you're not going to sell it - you're going to hand it down to family.
Yacht-Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 06:50 AM   #27
MickeyDonuts
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys, I did it!! Hubby reiterated he wanted to buy me an eternity watch (who needs a ring!) and to just do it, so I did. I got a DJ 36 fluted jubilee with black dial - the silver didn’t sing to me. I’ll post a picture in the am when the sun is up to show the sparkles off. Funny but I’m feeling better about it already! We can afford it, I just have never spent that much on just me!! I hope this is my last watch though ... !!
MickeyDonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 06:57 AM   #28
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
No you don’t need it but if you want it get it, as others say it can always be resold you may lose some money but you need to scratch that itch, an analogy for me is buying cars I don’t need, I am careful but they will devalue a bit but the enjoyment outweighs the slight loss I experience.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 07:00 AM   #29
CKizzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tachymeter
One of the best things about buying a Rolex is that you won't lose money if you want to sell it later!
CKizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 07:05 AM   #30
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Thanks guys, I did it!! Hubby reiterated he wanted to buy me an eternity watch (who needs a ring!) and to just do it, so I did. I got a DJ 36 fluted jubilee with black dial - the silver didn’t sing to me. I’ll post a picture in the am when the sun is up to show the sparkles off. Funny but I’m feeling better about it already! We can afford it, I just have never spent that much on just me!! I hope this is my last watch though ... !!

Huge congrats, lovely hubby!
alex.cicollo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice sought , veblen good