The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 27 March 2022, 04:29 AM   #121
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I think Omega needed this FOMO frenzy to get them in line with modern trends.

My colleagues and the such know I collect watches....just the other day, I wore my Speedmaster Tintin (a WIS darling reference)...a colleague asked what I was wearing, I told them...they looked puzzled and asked "I thought you had a Rolex"? "why would you have an Omega if you have a ROLEX"?

The events of the past few days very well may stop that kind of question from coming up...

It's up to the market now. Will the hype transfer over and float ALL Omega? Maybe....time will tell.
Why would you have a rolex if you can have a patek?
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 04:34 AM   #122
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
First ones hitting chrono24 ...Uranus the early leader .$4500 !! (Its reserved )

Its really a mad world .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 04:43 AM   #123
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
No Patek Tiffany ?
No Rolex Tiffany ?

Your itch will be scratched by the Uranus Tiffany !
ONLY $3000 on an ebay near you !

Sounds like a side effect of pin worms
Old 27 March 2022, 04:47 AM   #124
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
I went by the Swatch store and Omega boutique in Houston since they're in the same mall at 10am.

Swatch had a line 100's of people long. Omega had a line about 20 people long. All my years of going to the OB, I've never seen a line in front of the store. I asked the mall security guard working the OB line if the people know that they can't by the MoonSwatch at Omega. She said yes they know. As each person is getting in line she's telling them that they can't buy the Swatches at Omega and need to go to the Swatch store but the people are still waiting in line at Omega.

To me that's a win for Omega raising the awareness of the brand with people who otherwise would never look at Omega. There's never been any hype at the boutique. Not even for the Silver Snoopy. The MoonSwatch actually brought them some.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 04:53 AM   #125
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I get it now !

Omega Moonwatch for the moon landing and the MoonSwatch for conspiracy theorists !
This guy knows what’s up.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 05:03 AM   #126
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
I went by the Swatch store and Omega boutique in Houston since they're in the same mall at 10am.

Swatch had a line 100's of people long. Omega had a line about 20 people long. All my years of going to the OB, I've never seen a line in front of the store. I asked the mall security guard working the OB line if the people know that they can't by the MoonSwatch at Omega. She said yes they know. As each person is getting in line she's telling them that they can't buy the Swatches at Omega and need to go to the Swatch store but the people are still waiting in line at Omega.

To me that's a win for Omega raising the awareness of the brand with people who otherwise would never look at Omega. There's never been any hype at the boutique. Not even for the Silver Snoopy. The MoonSwatch actually brought them some.

It is a big win for Omega. Absolutely 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 05:06 AM   #127
RolexPD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
First ones hitting chrono24 ...Uranus the early leader .$4500 !! (Its reserved )

Its really a mad world .
They’re selling for $800-$1000 on StockX. They’ll be available at MSRP within weeks.

If anyone actually bought one for $4500, they’re a moron who deserves to overpay.
RolexPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 05:23 AM   #128
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Its really a mad world .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman37 View Post
Why would somebody bid 4500 on their own anus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexPD View Post
They’re selling for $800-$1000 on StockX. They’ll be available at MSRP within weeks.

If anyone actually bought one for $4500, they’re a moron who deserves to overpay.
Seller advertises at a crazy price and mark as reserved ,diving the market up .
Old 27 March 2022, 06:05 AM   #129
rom33
2024 Pledge Member

The Covent Garden store was closed at 5:30 today.
A sign on the door said: Closed for Safety Reasons.
There were several people camped on the sidewalk.
rom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 06:20 AM   #130
duquephart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I think Omega needed this FOMO frenzy to get them in line with modern trends.

My colleagues and the such know I collect watches....just the other day, I wore my Speedmaster Tintin (a WIS darling reference)...a colleague asked what I was wearing, I told them...they looked puzzled and asked "I thought you had a Rolex"? "why would you have an Omega if you have a ROLEX"?

The events of the past few days very well may stop that kind of question from coming up...

It's up to the market now. Will the hype transfer over and float ALL Omega? Maybe....time will tell.
How many other complete idiots do you know?
duquephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 07:02 AM   #131
cwh812
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexPD View Post

How do you know they have the supply able to meet the demand? They clearly didn’t have it in stores today.
cwh812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 08:39 AM   #132
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post

At around 8:45am the police came around and told us there were only 150 watches (!) and asked everyone to leave.

Absolute carnage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rom33 View Post
A sign on the door said: Closed for Safety Reasons.
A watch shop has to close for safety reasons and police officers are called in for unruly crowds .

WTF is happening in the world ??
Old 27 March 2022, 08:47 AM   #133
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Swatch Speedmaster

Aaaaaand.......

Do these people realize it is a regular release, Swatch will be making a gagillion of them.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 09:13 AM   #134
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Yeah, I’ll just order online in a few weeks. People are pretty dense I guess and just have to be first… or don’t realize they’re gonna make these in bulk it sounds like?
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 09:17 AM   #135
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
It's so comical to me that anyone sincerely thinks this is a "win" for Omega.

This is a win for SWATCH. They are using and abusing the most premium brand under their corporate umbrella to pump out millions of cheap, plastic quartz watches on even cheaper velcro straps, and market them as "Omega". They are taking an icon of design and reducing it to a commonplace and disposable commodity. Omega is taking a major step DOWN-market with this product introduction, and they are taking their best design with them. It's truly sad. Omega's new market strategy: "We can't beat 'em, so let's go for the greatest availability to the largest consumer group we can get, to hell with quality."

To give perspective, I seriously considered buying a $7000 Moonwatch, 3861 Speedmaster Professional. The legendary icon, pride of Omega heritage, right? But I held off, thinking "maybe they'll fix that hobbled clasp and give it a push-button tool-less microadjust"... Glad I waited! Now I can just get an Omega Speedmaster for $250... but why even waste money on that? Anyone and everyone can have one. Nothing special or interesting about these. If you accidentally left one behind on a business trip, would you even care? If your son was graduating college or just got his law degree, would you wrap one of these up in a special box and say "Here you are son, I'm proud of you, wear this for the rest of your life and think back on this moment". LOL.
Old 27 March 2022, 09:21 AM   #136
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Yup, not sure when available yet soon enough on their website.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 09:39 AM   #137
sgrossma
2024 Pledge Member

I actually don’t think they will ever be easy to get and some of us will be fortunate enough to get just 1 if we are lucky. But time will tell.
sgrossma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 09:48 AM   #138
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I bet they churn them out in droves and they will sell.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 09:49 AM   #139
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post

This is a win for SWATCH. They are using and abusing the most premium brand under their corporate umbrella to pump out millions of cheap, plastic quartz watches on even cheaper velcro straps, and market them as "Omega". They are taking an icon of design and reducing it to a commonplace and disposable commodity. Omega is taking a major step DOWN-market with this product introduction, and they are taking their best design with them. It's truly sad. Omega's new market strategy: "We can't beat 'em, so let's go for the greatest availability to the largest consumer group we can get, to hell with quality."

To give perspective, I seriously considered buying a $7000 Moonwatch, 3861 Speedmaster Professional. The legendary icon, pride of Omega heritage, right? But I held off, thinking "maybe they'll fix that hobbled clasp and give it a push-button tool-less microadjust"... Glad I waited! Now I can just get an Omega Speedmaster for $250... but why even waste money on that? Anyone and everyone can have one. Nothing special or interesting about these. If you accidentally left one behind on a business trip, would you even care? If your son was graduating college or just got his law degree, would you wrap one of these up in a special box and say "Here you are son, I'm proud of you, wear this for the rest of your life and think back on this moment". LOL.
Read my earlier post on why this is a win.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 10:15 AM   #140
vinny84
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Absolutely 100%

If anything, this will boost Omega sales and bring more awareness to the brand

Quote:

Disagree with your whole thesis. I planned on buying a Moonwatch by the end of the year and the MoonSwatch doesn't change my plans on buying the actual Moonwatch. You either want one or you don't.
vinny84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 10:30 AM   #141
richard371
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Agreed. I’m enjoying my 3861 even more now and feel fortunate to have the real thing. Not that the swatch isn’t real but you know what I mean. I also disagree with the “why buy a $7000 speedmaster when you can buy one for $260” come on. Not even in the same universe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
Absolutely 100%

If anything, this will boost Omega sales and bring more awareness to the brand

Disagree with your whole thesis. I planned on buying a Moonwatch by the end of the year and the MoonSwatch doesn't change my plans on buying the actual Moonwatch. You either want one or you don't.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 10:38 AM   #142
whiterabbit66
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO,
Quote:
Read my earlier post on why this is a win.
Agreed. Clearly this will create more demand for Omegas in general and raise awareness of the "Moonwatch" history. I bet used Speedies will see a bump too (although they are already going up).
whiterabbit66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 10:46 AM   #143
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So in other words, you're not going to buy a watch you say you really wanted, because a different brand (albeit under the same umbrella) has made a low-end homage that looks like the one you like and has some Omega branding on it, but is patently different in every single respect that actually matters?

And the fact that this low-end homage is so readily available to "the masses", is the main reason not to buy the high-end real thing?

Obviously each to their own, but personally I don't follow the logic I'm afraid. If I wanted a proper Speedmaster, I couldn't care less how many people owned a low-rent pastiche of it. TBH I couldn't even care less how many people had the real thing either, because at the end of the day I buy watches that I personally like, not because of a desire for some kind of perceived exclusivity.

But as I say, each to their own.
Old 27 March 2022, 10:49 AM   #144
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshin525 View Post
Would I do this again? Absolutely! This took me back to the days when I was a sneaker head lining up for the newest releases. Today I met a bunch of really cool people with similar interests and will probably stay in touch with a couple of them....which is a similar experience I had back in my sneaker days. The store said that they will get more in stock later next week so may just drop by then and see if I get lucky.

I hope others had better luck!
Thanks for sharing! Love it when I read about you meeting people of similar interests and seems you are making new friends there! Hope you can get it online soon though!
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 11:13 AM   #145
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/mo...tch-launch-day

So nice to see smiles (and flex) from people around the world who managed to get this swatch. Well done.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 11:27 AM   #146
richard371
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN White
This is a good read. People need to lighten up.
https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-a...lUvI7lHyBF_ZU0
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 11:32 AM   #147
jtli202
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
This is a good read. People need to lighten up.
https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-a...lUvI7lHyBF_ZU0
yep its a fun piece. so much snobbery going on
jtli202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 11:38 AM   #148
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/mo...tch-launch-day

So nice to see smiles (and flex) from people around the world who managed to get this swatch. Well done.
Nice link. Thanks for posting.

It’s great seeing this kind of reaction to a simple but well designed watch.

And with this my curiosity was engaged again and I researched more about Swatch Group going back to Hyek Sr. and his earlier risk taking, this is totally 100% on brand for the Group and I don’t see how this hurts Omega in any way.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 12:26 PM   #149
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

I don't think these are going to be easy to get. I think the reception of these watches has changed their distribution strategy and now it's about maintaining the hype and getting more people interested in Omega and Swatch.
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 01:42 PM   #150
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
Quote:

The Speedmaster is a Speedmaster. If you want one you will buy one. This is not going to change a thing! The only ones that are worried are the ones that want everyone to know that they own a expensive watch