The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 October 2019, 12:07 AM   #1
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Cotton Bowl! Texas-OU shoot out.

It's time for the big game and this year traditional rivals Texas and Oklahoma University will face off yet again.

Game watches have been awarded to players and coaches since the CB began in 1937. From 1967 to 1976 Rolex or Tudor were awarded and I have collected a few over the years. I have been fortunate to have found game programs for each year.

Kickoff is at 11:00 Central on Fox. :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 02:22 AM   #2
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Very nice!! Which side do you support?
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 02:46 AM   #3
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
Very nice!! Which side do you support?
LOL,I was just laughing about that with my sister, we were born in Oklahoma but we've both been in Texas a whole lot longer than we were in OK so we decided to cheer Texas this year. :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 02:49 AM   #4
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
My Pal is there now and just sent me a video of the score board etc. I was there last year with my Family and it was eye opening for a Brit to say the least. We Loved it

Wearing my Sooners T shirt stuck here in AFG ha. BOOMER

@Richard Carver, i looked at one of the cotton bowl watches earlier this year for my Pal. But i wasn't from a year the OU were playing there.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 03:18 AM   #5
Razorsedge1
"TRF" Member

Great watches! Are watches awarded to winner of this game or Cotton Bowl at end of season?
Razorsedge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 03:35 AM   #6
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

OU vs TX (aka The Red River Shootout) is definitely an annual classic, and it’s traditionally played at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas during the Texas State Fair. Though obviously played in Texas, it’s considered a neutral site because Dallas is approximately halfway between Austin, TX & Norman, OK. I believe the annual OU-TX game is the only college football game still played at the Cotton Bowl.

The Cotton Bowl Classic is a different game. It’s a postseason bowl game that’s now part of the College Football Playoff. Sadly it hasn’t been played at the actual Cotton Bowl since 2009. It’s played at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, home of the Dallas Cowboys.

Those earlier Cotton Bowl games commemorated by those now-vintage Rolex were old school college football. The winter weather often played a factor in the game. A much different game nowadays in the climate controlled stadium.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 05:15 AM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Nice collection Richard!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 05:16 AM   #8
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Lovely watches.
Old 13 October 2019, 07:25 AM   #9
Razorsedge1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
OU vs TX (aka The Red River Shootout) is definitely an annual classic, and it’s traditionally played at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas during the Texas State Fair. Though obviously played in Texas, it’s considered a neutral site because Dallas is approximately halfway between Austin, TX & Norman, OK. I believe the annual OU-TX game is the only college football game still played at the Cotton Bowl.

The Cotton Bowl Classic is a different game. It’s a postseason bowl game that’s now part of the College Football Playoff. Sadly it hasn’t been played at the actual Cotton Bowl since 2009. It’s played at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, home of the Dallas Cowboys.

Those earlier Cotton Bowl games commemorated by those now-vintage Rolex were old school college football. The winter weather often played a factor in the game. A much different game nowadays in the climate controlled stadium.
Yes, Jerry World is nicer stadium but something about playing outdoors seems more like football.

I would love to get my hands on one of those vintage Rolexes from Cotton Bowl game.
Old 13 October 2019, 07:34 AM   #10
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorsedge1 View Post
Yes, Jerry World is nicer stadium but something about playing outdoors seems more like football.

I would love to get my hands on one of those vintage Rolexes from Cotton Bowl game.
Keep an eye on the major auction houses. A Cotton Bowl Rolex will appear every now and then, especially in the online-only auctions.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 08:38 AM   #11
Razorsedge1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
Keep an eye on the major auction houses. A Cotton Bowl Rolex will appear every now and then, especially in the online-only auctions.
Thanks! Will do.
Old 14 October 2019, 08:09 AM   #12
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Give one of those to Jalen Hurts!
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 11:07 AM   #13
dgdjr
"TRF" Member

Love these "CARVER DIALS". I mean why not if there can be a "Buckley Dial" :).

Nice watches RC !
dgdjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 02:00 PM   #14
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Very nice collection. I picked up a 1974 one of these from Jacek a few years ago. It's gone now, but it was nice to have it for a while.

#carverforpresident
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 07:42 AM   #15
TCU34
"TRF" Member

Woha! That is very cool, didn't know the existed. Being a Texas guy I've been to the Cotton bowl a few times, including a few RR shootouts over the years. My wife is a UT alum and I'm a TCU alum so we're both very into college football!
TCU34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 07:16 AM   #16
bridgecav
"TRF" Member

Random question

Hey! I had a family member call me and tell me the 1976 Cotton Bowl Tudor watch was worth a significant amount of money. Is that true? We have one in the family and I wanted to find out. It was a player watch.
bridgecav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 04:01 PM   #17
statsman
"TRF" Member

There are two parts to bowl game watch value, I believe- intrinsic value of watch, plus whatever premium for the bowl game insignia on dial. The premium varies based on prestige of game and teams involved. For instance, the 1970 Cotton Bowl Datejust May be the most valuable. It starts with a vintage Rolex Datejust, and add in the Cotton BOwl being a major bowl, and the matchup between two blue blood programs (Texas and Notre Dame), and finish with the Horns winning a NC. I reckon the premium over a typical Datejust as being $500-$1,000 (what do you think, Richard Carver?). If the watch has an engraved name of a star on the back (say, Danny Lester), it could be more.

For most bowl games, the premium is much less- $50 to $100.

The 1976 CB matched Georgia and Arkansas, and the Tudor watches of that era are appreciating. Should be low four figures as a floor and mid four figures as a ceiling?
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 04:56 AM   #18
bridgecav
"TRF" Member

Thanks. That is very helpful info. Does it matter if it is a player watch vs coaches watch? Would a coaches watch be more valuable unless it was a valuable player? Also, does the band matter or is it just the watch face that really holds the value.
bridgecav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 11:40 AM   #19
statsman
"TRF" Member

It depends on the player or the coach.

Bowl game watches are a whole different sports memorabilia market than rings. People pay crazy amounts for championship rings. Not so much for watches- there are fewer collectors. As posted before, you can get a premium for a bowl game watch, but it won’t be huge.

Now, if the coach it was awarded to was Frank Broyles or Vince Dooley, forget what I posted and figure on a bigger premium.

As for the bracelet, I don’t know that it matters so much to a sports memorabilia collector.
Old 17 February 2020, 12:37 PM   #20
TimeLord2
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
That is so cool! Thanks for sharing!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 07:35 PM   #21
vintagetudor
"TRF" Member

What a great collection...particulary love the tudor
vintagetudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 10:42 AM   #22
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Richard, I bought a tudor day date kind of sight unseen. Seller says that the inner caseback says 9450. Should I assume that it’s a 35.5mm, or is there a chance it’s 38? The dial is not a wide marker. The band is an older Rolex with the crown clasp. Beautiful cotton collection?
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 02:05 PM   #23
statsman
"TRF" Member

Nm