The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 April 2019, 10:39 PM   #1
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
AD versus Grey Market

Long story short, I took my DJII in to AD to have it serviced and I mentioned and asked if they carried Tudor and the sales rep came back with yes we are going to start carrying them and brought out a NIB Tudor Heritage Black Bay with a red bezel and the price I believe was like $3600 so like most I came home and found the same model from Grey dealer ( Bernard Watches ) it has a blue bezel though and is listed as NIB and it still has all tags and band and case still are covered in the protective plastic and it listed for about $600 less and to me that’s a huge difference in price so with all my rambling is the one from the AD that over priced or is the Grey Market that good of a deal
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 11:45 PM   #2
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
$600 is not a “huge” difference on a $3600 watch. It’s a 17% discount.

ADs advertise at MSRP, grey market dealers sell at market price. Pretty simple.
bobernet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 12:08 AM   #3
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
$600 is not a “huge” difference on a $3600 watch. It’s a 17% discount.

ADs advertise at MSRP, grey market dealers sell at market price. Pretty simple.
So guessing if I bought new from AD I would take a 17% loss right off the bat, the one from the Grey dealer is new but it’s been registered to someone else and I’m guessing they just sold it after purchase without wearing
Old 7 April 2019, 12:19 AM   #4
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
How much of a loss will you take on a new car you drive home and list for sale?

Whether the watch you’re talking about was registered to another owner or not, I can’t tell you. I’d suggest asking the dealer about the watch history.
bobernet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 12:23 AM   #5
Sprta
"TRF" Member

MSRP is not over priced, its the recommended price for the watch. If you consider sales tax the grey discount may be even greater.
Sounds like an easy choice, go grey if you confident of the seller ability to deliver an authentic product.
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 02:52 AM   #6
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
How much of a loss will you take on a new car you drive home and list for sale?

Whether the watch you’re talking about was registered to another owner or not, I can’t tell you. I’d suggest asking the dealer about the watch history.
I have sent the dealer a info request, this particular dealer is located in Austin and gets very decent reviews, as far as I know from asking them before on other watches all they do is a visual inspection and time the watch but unless it has issues they don’t crack the case open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprta View Post
MSRP is not over priced, its the recommended price for the watch. If you consider sales tax the grey discount may be even greater.
Sounds like an easy choice, go grey if you confident of the seller ability to deliver an authentic product.
Yes I believe there are no sales tax so it would be a fair amount to save, the funny thing is they also have listed the same watch but with a red bezel and it’s used but they are selling is for a few hundred dollars more which makes no sense as it’s used and the other is new.

I plan on going to the AD this afternoon to pick up my DJII from being serviced so I will again ask about the Tudor
Old 7 April 2019, 02:57 AM   #7
watchmaker
TechXpert

Worth considering that paying MRSP on a watch with an AD when you could get at a discount from a grey dealer can only help your chances of getting a watch at MRSP from an AD that you would have to pay a premium for with a grey.

Think long term
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 03:02 AM   #8
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Look up DavidSW. He'll get it for around $3k. NEw with warranty.
Old 7 April 2019, 06:19 AM   #9
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprta View Post
MSRP is not over priced, its the recommended price for the watch.
Manufacturer's Suggested Ridiculous Price
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 01:21 PM   #10
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Well I have been looking at Grey dealers and it seems that all Grey Dealers that sell new watches are sold without a factory warranty unless its left over from the original purchaser so places like Jomashop, Bernard Watch etc.. all come with there own in house warranty as they sell under MSRP so warranty’s are not allowed so I’m curious how they obtain new watches. This only applies to new watches the ones that are new but were purchased and not worn by the original person has the remainder of the factory warranty so after looking most of the news ones I’ve looked at without the factory warranty are running $700+ less than getting from an AD
Old 12 April 2019, 09:57 PM   #11
Sprta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexoman View Post
Well I have been looking at Grey dealers and it seems that all Grey Dealers that sell new watches are sold without a factory warranty unless its left over from the original purchaser so places like Jomashop, Bernard Watch etc.. all come with there own in house warranty as they sell under MSRP so warranty’s are not allowed so I’m curious how they obtain new watches. This only applies to new watches the ones that are new but were purchased and not worn by the original person has the remainder of the factory warranty so after looking most of the news ones I’ve looked at without the factory warranty are running $700+ less than getting from an AD
Typically stores that issue their own warranty for new Rolex watches obtain these watches outside the USA. The non USA distribution channels are different than here.
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 11:39 PM   #12
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

As others have said , true gray market dealers obtain their watches outside normal distribution channels and typically do not come with factory warranty - like jomashop. Resellers like DavidSW buy their watches from ADs or people like us and his watches therefore typically come with factory warranty.

For the watch you are looking at, you should be able to get a discount from AD. Even for the difference you mentioned, approx $600, I would pay that to get the warranty as a service will cost that much. Additionally, it will help build a relationship with an AD, which in these crazy days could come in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 02:30 AM   #13
tjs00
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexoman View Post
So guessing if I bought new from AD I would take a 17% loss right off the bat, the one from the Grey dealer is new but it’s been registered to someone else and I’m guessing they just sold it after purchase without wearing
You'll want to compare against the used price, since as soon as you take buy it, it won't command the same price. Check Chrono24 used watches to see final value if that is a concern.
tjs00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 06:48 AM   #14
wisguy
"TRF" Member

I've dealt with Jeff Bernard, stand up guy, I'd buy it from him if you like the blue bezel.
Old 15 November 2019, 02:15 AM   #15
explorer1982
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 39mm mk2
Another endorsement for Bernard. I bought my Explorer from them back in February and it was a great shopping experience. Not sure if sales tax is a factor here, but that could add another $300, making this a $600 price swing. I paid no sales tax with Bernard and the watch arrived the next day "like new"
explorer1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 03:16 AM   #16
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
Old threat, deleted my responce. Why do people keep bringing up old threads ? To endorse, really ?