The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 9 December 2020, 09:25 PM   #121
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Keep in mind that the Moonwatch is arguably the most flipped watch in the history of watch making. A search on C24 for Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch returned 2,172 hits.

That will NOT change with this new version and will only add more to the mix.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2020, 01:07 AM   #122
owl.
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Citizen Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaggi View Post
Keep in mind that the Moonwatch is arguably the most flipped watch in the history of watch making. A search on C24 for Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch returned 2,172 hits.

I recently saw a video that showed that the Speedmaster pro is the most bought chronograph

Sells more than a Daytona (obviously), El Primero, Heuer Carrera and many others

I wonder if the fact that it’s the most sold chrono relates to the fact that you can find a ton of them on Chrono 24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
owl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2020, 01:28 AM   #123
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Whether or not Omega discontinues this watch, they should be very careful about what replaces it and at what price point. The current Speedmaster Professional is a success not only in its design, but also its value. Anything approaching professional series Rolex models like the Submariner or GMT-Master II is going to be a big mistake.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2020, 04:35 AM   #124
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
Whether or not Omega discontinues this watch, they should be very careful about what replaces it and at what price point. The current Speedmaster Professional is a success not only in its design, but also its value. Anything approaching professional series Rolex models like the Submariner or GMT-Master II is going to be a big mistake.

You mean approaching them price-wise?

Old 10 December 2020, 04:55 AM   #125
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Hmmmmm....

alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2020, 04:59 AM   #126
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alllexandru View Post
Hmmmmm....

So what does this data tell us?

That the number of watches listed on chrono means nothing?

Tons of subs for sale

Yet their value increased when the new one was released (or stayed the same)

They definitely didn’t decrease

Old 10 December 2020, 05:08 AM   #127
alllexandru

I was referring to numbers as being most flipped
Life is not just numbers, I don’t love watches for the value as per se but for what they are and represents.

Old 10 December 2020, 05:32 AM   #128
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yeah I don't get your post at all. One could just as easily say the same about a lot of Rolex watches.

Any popular luxury watch is bound to be 'flipped'.

As someone else pointed out to you, the chrono24 part of your post shows that there are more subs on the market and they hold their value well. Same goes for the standard hesalite 1861. I should know because mine is now worth more than I paid for it after only a couple of years ownership.
Arcticsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2020, 05:39 AM   #129
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Not sure. But if you are referring to the Rolex sub, that’s apples and oranges my friend.
It is definitely a 100% apples to apples comparison. Both the sub and the speedmaster pro are classic watches. The snobbishness is also a bit eh gratuitous to say the least.

Pricewise the 1861 hesalite is rising quite a bit in the last period.
Arcticsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2020, 05:52 AM   #130
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alllexandru View Post
I was referring to numbers as being most flipped
Life is not just numbers, I don’t love watches for the value as per se but for what they are and represents.

Same here

I love them because they are very very personal items.

You take them with you everywhere.
Old 10 December 2020, 06:07 AM   #131
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticsub View Post
It is definitely a 100% apples to apples comparison. Both the sub and the speedmaster pro are classic watches. The snobbishness is also a bit eh gratuitous to say the least.

Pricewise the 1861 hesalite is rising quite a bit in the last period.

No, it’s not. Walk into any AD and see if you can get a sub, gmt, how about a Daytona? What about an explorer II. Didn’t think so. Go gray, you are paying well above MSRP. That’s simply not the case with the speedy. Either one of us can get a speedy pro at MSRP and most likely less.

Now, to be clear, in my opinion the Speedmaster may be the most important and historically relevant wristwatch period. But it’s not the same comparison when we are talking price.

Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2020, 06:51 AM   #132
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No, it’s not. Walk into any AD and see if you can get a sub, gmt, how about a Daytona? What about an explorer II. Didn’t think so. Go gray, you are paying well above MSRP. That’s simply not the case with the speedy. Either one of us can get a speedy pro at MSRP and most likely less.

Now, to be clear, in my opinion the Speedmaster may be the most important and historically relevant wristwatch period. But it’s not the same comparison when we are talking price.

I wonder what would happen if once this speedy is discontinued, omega applied a no discount policy, and limited supply to the new one

I wonder if it would close in on Rolex

Old 10 December 2020, 07:03 AM   #133
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl. View Post
You mean approaching them price-wise?

Correct. If someone has $9-10k to spend, it's going to go towards a Rolex (if one is available) almost every time. This is coming from someone who collects and loves both brands. The Speedmaster Pro has not and should not ever be a direct competitor to that second tier of Rolex sport watches. The Seamaster Professional Diver 300 for all intents and purposes is every bit the equal to a Submariner technically. The price disparity comes from reputation and brand perception.

The reason I still consider my Speedmaster Professional some of the best money I ever spent was because of what I got for that dollar value. I completely understand that the Speedmaster is an icon itself which commands market share, but it's also at a lower price point than most iconic chronographs; this is why it sells. For roughly half the cost you can get an icon that competes against the Daytona, Navitimer/Chronomat, Pilot Chronograph.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2020, 07:34 AM   #134
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wonder what would happen if once this speedy is discontinued, omega applied a no discount policy, and limited supply to the new one

I wonder if it would close in on Rolex

That’s an interesting question. It is possible, but there seems to be a bias against omega right. How many folks here balked at 13k for the 321 speedmaster, a movement used by AP and PP and went to the moon and the chrono is extremely legible, and will plunk down well over MSRP for the Daytona an insignificant watch really. I mean no slam intended but it broke no new ground and is famous for celebrity affiliation and it’s legibility is a well documented problem. Yes the movement is great and it’s water resistant. But the silver snoopy certainly reached Daytona levels and passed it so it’s possible I suppose.

Old 10 December 2020, 10:24 AM   #135
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Correct. If someone has $9-10k to spend, it's going to go towards a Rolex (if one is available) almost every time. This is coming from someone who collects and loves both brands. The Speedmaster Pro has not and should not ever be a direct competitor to that second tier of Rolex sport watches. The Seamaster Professional Diver 300 for all intents and purposes is every bit the equal to a Submariner technically. The price disparity comes from reputation and brand perception.

The reason I still consider my Speedmaster Professional some of the best money I ever spent was because of what I got for that dollar value. I completely understand that the Speedmaster is an icon itself which commands market share, but it's also at a lower price point than most iconic chronographs; this is why it sells. For roughly half the cost you can get an icon that competes against the Daytona, Navitimer/Chronomat, Pilot Chronograph.

Agree

Old 10 December 2020, 10:27 AM   #136
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s an interesting question. It is possible, but there seems to be a bias against omega right. How many folks here balked at 13k for the 321 speedmaster, a movement used by AP and PP and went to the moon and the chrono is extremely legible, and will plunk down well over MSRP for the Daytona an insignificant watch really. I mean no slam intended but it broke no new ground and is famous for celebrity affiliation and it’s legibility is a well documented problem. Yes the movement is great and it’s water resistant. But the silver snoopy certainly reached Daytona levels and passed it so it’s possible I suppose.

I admit I didn’t know that AP and PP used the omega 321.

Can you elaborate on that?

Yeah I agree with you. I think the Daytona is cool because of Paul Newman’s auction

Other than that, nothing special

I guess it comes down to brand identity
Old 10 December 2020, 11:41 AM   #137
H25B
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, OP31
Quote:

This is true.

IMO, the Speedmaster Professional is the best value in luxury sport watches. Should’ve bought mine a while ago but was too busy chasing down a Rolex at retail.
H25B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2020, 01:44 PM   #138
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I admit I didn’t know that AP and PP used the omega 321.

Can you elaborate on that?

Yeah I agree with you. I think the Daytona is cool because of Paul Newman’s auction

Other than that, nothing special

I guess it comes down to brand identity

I’m no expert but the 321 was developed by lemania and omega and was used by AP, VC, and PP. in those days, there was not this idea of inhouse. The movement was very good and Swiss and that was good enough for folks. Today their is this bias that in-house means better, which is erroneous.

Old 10 December 2020, 02:47 PM   #139
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m no expert but the 321 was developed by lemania and omega and was used by AP, VC, and PP. in those days, there was not this idea of inhouse. The movement was very good and Swiss and that was good enough for folks. Today their is this bias that in-house means better, which is erroneous.

Ohhh okay.

Sounds more historically significant than the Daytona.

But we both knew that!

Old 10 December 2020, 05:09 PM   #140
alllexandru

Speedmaster professional Hesalite discontinued??!

It was Lemania 1873, developed by Lemania.
Used byOmega and then they did 861-1861

The 1873 was used in the original form until recently by VC and the gang, with some tweaks for the beauty

I’m sure that are gents here who can give us more inside on this with accurate informations, please correct me if I’m wrong
Old 10 December 2020, 08:01 PM   #141
whiteibex
"TRF" Member

The 321 is historically very important for Omega. Remember that back in 1957, there was no Daytona yet, and Omega hit very hard with the release of its "professional" collection (Seamaster, Railmaster, Speedmaster), aiming at Rolex for sure as the Seamaster/Sub battle was already in place.

But it was really the Speedmaster that was important in this release, in particular the 321. It took a couple years for Rolex to catch up with the release of the Daytona. Then the Quartz thing happened.
whiteibex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 03:24 AM   #142
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Guys.... this isn't difficult. The price tells us the demand.

The reason why the resale of a Sub is more $$$ is because of demand. The demand for a Moonwatch is nowhere near that of a Rolex Submariner.
Old 11 December 2020, 05:05 AM   #143
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Guys.... this isn't difficult. The price tells us the demand.

The reason why the resale of a Sub is more $$$ is because of demand. The demand for a Moonwatch is nowhere near that of a Rolex Submariner.
Don't forget the supply side!
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 06:42 AM   #144
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Don't forget the supply side!

Yup

Too much supply and that will drop the price

(I assume that’s why omega discounts the speedy)

Old 13 December 2020, 10:59 AM   #145
Thanos
"TRF" Member

Always the 'value' argument. Ignore the value argument. The Speedy pro is legit. The Daytona? not so much.
Thanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 10:52 PM   #146
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
Always the 'value' argument. Ignore the value argument. The Speedy pro is legit.
Old 14 December 2020, 04:57 AM   #147
BradSomrak
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by H25B View Post
This is true.

IMO, the Speedmaster Professional is the best value in luxury sport watches. Should’ve bought mine a while ago but was too busy chasing down a Rolex at retail.

Based on what?

But the 1861 is an old movement. Doesn’t hack. Very outdated in terms of anti magnetism. Not a chronometer. Weak power reserve. Bracelet is garbage.

And it’s STILL 4K+ preowned, and close to 6K new. And that is almost entirely related to the “heritage” of being on the moon. (And, again, I am pro-Speedy)

But claiming it is some unbelievable “value,” IMO, is just not accurate. It may be a classic. It may be a watch everyone “has” to have to complete a collection. But I, personally, have never strapped on my Speedy and thought “what a great value here....”

Now the 3861s may be a different story......
BradSomrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 07:09 AM   #148
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradSomrak View Post
Based on what?

But the 1861 is an old movement. Doesn’t hack. Very outdated in terms of anti magnetism. Not a chronometer. Weak power reserve. Bracelet is garbage.

And it’s STILL 4K+ preowned, and close to 6K new. And that is almost entirely related to the “heritage” of being on the moon. (And, again, I am pro-Speedy)

But claiming it is some unbelievable “value,” IMO, is just not accurate. It may be a classic. It may be a watch everyone “has” to have to complete a collection. But I, personally, have never strapped on my Speedy and thought “what a great value here....”

Now the 3861s may be a different story......
2-3 years ago this was much better value. You could get a brand new Speedmaster for like $3500 and used for much cheaper. I bought my FOIS BNIB with AD warranty for $3500 3 years ago. My brother bought a hesalite Speedy BNIB from Jomashop no warranty like 4-5 years ago for around $3k. The price increases are relatively recent.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 07:22 AM   #149
BradSomrak
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
2-3 years ago this was much better value. You could get a brand new Speedmaster for like $3500 and used for much cheaper. I bought my FOIS BNIB with AD warranty for $3500 3 years ago. My brother bought a hesalite Speedy BNIB from Jomashop no warranty like 4-5 years ago for around $3k. The price increases are relatively recent.

This I completely agree with. As a “value proposition” the Speedy was a much better buy 5 years ago. Now, they are arguably not a “value” at all - at least as it applies to 1861 based pieces.
BradSomrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 08:10 AM   #150
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve been wearing my Speedie FOIS these last few days after rotating through my PP, AP, Lange, GS and Rolex. You know what? It’s a damn fine watch in every respect, and a worthy companion to those others, and in some ways, superior.

Anyone who doesn’t see it is blinded by hype.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote