The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 31 August 2019, 08:40 AM   #1
walds11
"TRF" Member

Any recent experiences with Rik of Time Care Inc.?

I think my SubC 116610 is running a little slow. I wear it 2-3 days per week and put it on a winder when not wearing it. It is a G serial with papers dated October 2012. It’s probably due for a service. I’m thinking of sending it to Rik as opposed to the RSC. $400 plus parts. He serviced my Sub 16610 Y serial back in 2010 and I recall it being a good experience. Anyone have any recent experiences with Rik of Time Care Inc.?
Old 31 August 2019, 11:04 AM   #2
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
I think my SubC 116610 is running a little slow. I wear it 2-3 days per week and put it on a winder when not wearing it. It is a G serial with papers dated October 2012. It’s probably due for a service. I’m thinking of sending it to Rik as opposed to the RSC. $400 plus parts. He serviced my Sub 16610 Y serial back in 2010 and I recall it being a good experience. Anyone have any recent experiences with Rik of Time Care Inc.?
He gets great reviews on TRF. I would have liked to use him but he didn't respond to my email. So my DJ went to a highly respected watchmaker in Pittsburgh.

I'm sure you will have little issues with Rik.
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2019, 11:21 AM   #3
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naples09 View Post
He gets great reviews on TRF. I would have liked to use him but he didn't respond to my email. So my DJ went to a highly respected watchmaker in Pittsburgh.

I'm sure you will have little issues with Rik.
Sounds like Rolex pulled the parts account from Rik, but he still has plenty of parts:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...27#post9662327

I will also check with the Rolex Boutique at Tourneau and Govbergs. They are both close to me, so I can drop off instead of mailing the watch. I’m curious how their service prices compare to Rik and the Rolex RSC...?
Old 31 August 2019, 11:29 AM   #4
CalSRQ1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513
Yes Rik is great- has done work on several of mine in the past year and sending another to him this week....assuming Dorian doesn’t blow us all away down here
CalSRQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 06:51 AM   #5
jhondo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai Pam 91
I sent him a couple emails also with no response so I'm going to use Official Time Watch.
jhondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 07:44 AM   #6
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
Rik is first class.

I have talked with him twice. He is a busy CW-21, so he is at his watch station a lot-
trying to get watches serviced and back to his clients as quickly as possible.

If you go to the end of his site, there is a form to submit-which moves things along
pretty quickly.

Either Rik Dietel or Phillip Ridley in TX. Then the Calif folks like Rolliworks or LAWC.

The RSC s have ruined some valuable vintage watches by replacement dials and hands, in addition to over-polishing when requested to abstain from that practice.
They will probably not see mine. The last visit to a RSC in 1971 was in Sydney, Australia where they were very professional
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 08:17 AM   #7
walds11
"TRF" Member

As I stated above, he serviced my Sub 16610 Y serial back in 2010 and I recall it being a good experience.

Would you be concerned that Rolex pulled his parts account?
Old 3 September 2019, 09:24 AM   #8
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Concerned about what? Is he suddenly a bad watchmaker because Rolex pulled his parts account? They are doing it to all independents.
Ashton_Horologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 11:43 PM   #9
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
Rik installed a new mainspring and refinished my 16520 Daytona recently. I think it was gone about 6 weeks or a tad longer. I spoke with him a couple of times about the parts account issues for independent watchmakers. This is a REALLY bad situation for all of us. I don't think Rolex is in a position to handle the increased load of repairs that the independents perform now, or to consistently do the work to the level of quality the independents do. My experience with RSC Dallas has been very hit & miss over 20+ years, and is the prime reason I sought out a highly regarded certified watchmaker like Rik.
Old 15 September 2019, 04:02 AM   #10
tgoose1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Rolex is currently certifying local AD's with qualified personnel for most service/repair work with the exception of the Deepsea model. They will perform case/bracelet restoration as well just like the work done at an RSC. The program will expand over time, currently less than 40 AD's in USA, are in the program. These special Rolex AD service centers are meant to lessen RSC's workload, and will provide a Rolex "Warranty Card", post service, identical to what is received from an RSC. This is a good thing since I like knowing who is working on my watch especially if any follow-up is necessary after servicing.
tgoose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 09:33 AM   #11
Johnnie K
"TRF" Member

I'm a new Rolex owner (1975 DJ 1603), but have had the opportunity to speak with Rik 2 times in the last few weeks. He has 35+ years experience, is licensed and certified to repair all of the high end luxury watches and to me is easy to talk with. I am fortunate he works close to where I reside and does the service/repairs for my jeweler. He has told me about the situation with Rolex and the independent watchmakers, but he has plenty of parts on hand. I will definitely use him when my watch needs service. Besides being local is a benefit and I don't have to worry about the RSC and the lengthy process one has to go through using them.

Bottom line IMO is he's definitely the one to go to for any kind of work needed.
Johnnie K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 09:38 AM   #12
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Rik is the ONLY place I’d send a watch.

He’s done several Rolex services and has my omega at the moment.

Best in the business. He’s also got a metric ton of parts available. Rolex is pulling everyone’s accounts as they want to renegotiate terms of being a parts account holder. Get parts but also do warranty repairs at cost.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 02:16 PM   #13
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There is a Rolex RSC co-located with the Rolex Technicum in Lititz, PA. Give them a call.
Old 16 September 2019, 10:19 AM   #14
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post

Maybe your winder is not set to move enough to fully charge your mainspring. If the power is low, you won't get the best performance. Try manually winding it full then see how it runs. 7 years doesn't necessarily sound like its due for service to me.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 10:37 AM   #15
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
Maybe your winder is not set to move enough to fully charge your mainspring. If the power is low, you won't get the best performance. Try manually winding it full then see how it runs. 7 years doesn't necessarily sound like its due for service to me.
That could be it or something else (?), but it’s been running fine the past week or so...