The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 September 2019, 04:35 AM   #1
B737
Banned

Watch: Rolex BLRO
Different perspective on the Rolex shortage...

This is not rational - I can see that. But anyway;

I own a black dial SS Daytona Ceramic. I really like it and have been a fan of the model for many years. Recently I have started to choose other watches from the collection more and more. Why? This whole shortage thing and the Daytona hype is starting to affect me in a negative way. Yesterday I visited a Rolex AD. They saw my Daytona on my wrist and as allways I had to explain how I got it etc etc. They were very friendly so no problem really. But then they also told me not to wear the watch with a t-shirt. Apparently people has been mugged after the watch has been spotted and they told me to use the watch with extreme care regarding the security aspect. This and the hype /shortage thing makes me wonder if I would be better of with a GMT-C. I realize that also that watch is hard to get and a likely target for thieves, but its a bit cheaper and a bit easier to get. Even though it is difficult to find it is not as hard as the Daytona... Would I be more at ease with a GMT?

It is not a money issue and I have a full insurance on the Daytona. Again - this is not rational.

Anyone who can relate?
B737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 04:39 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by B737 View Post
They saw my Daytona on my wrist and as allways I had to explain how I got it etc etc.

But then they also told me not to wear the watch with a t-shirt. Apparently people has been mugged after the watch has been spotted and they told me to use the watch with extreme care regarding the security aspect.

Would I be more at ease with a GMT?

Again - this is not rational.

Anyone who can relate?
No sorry I cannot relate.

I have never had any AD anywhere ask me to explain where I bought a watch.

I wear whatever watch with whatever clothing I wish.

I have no idea if you would like another watch but it seems you are living in fear of the one you own.

I wish you good luck!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 04:39 AM   #3
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
People wear Rolexes with t shirts all the time. I always wear high value Rolexes with short sleeve shirts and have never had the slightest problem. But it is your life and if you are the nervous type, then by all means don't do it.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 04:44 AM   #4
B737
Banned

Watch: Rolex BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
No sorry I cannot relate.

I have never had any AD anywhere ask me to explain where I bought a watch.

I wear whatever watch with whatever clothing I wish.

I have no idea if you would like another watch but it seems you are living in fear of the one you own.

I wish you good luck!
Thanks.

They were interested in how I got it and they asked very politely out of interest.

And I agree - I have always had the same approach as you. This line of thinking is new to me...
B737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 05:23 AM   #5
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
This is not rational - I can see that. But anyway;

I own a black dial SS Daytona Ceramic. I really like it and have been a fan of the model for many years. Recently I have started to choose other watches from the collection more and more. Why? This whole shortage thing and the Daytona hype is starting to affect me in a negative way. Yesterday I visited a Rolex AD. They saw my Daytona on my wrist and as allways I had to explain how I got it etc etc. They were very friendly so no problem really. But then they also told me not to wear the watch with a t-shirt. Apparently people has been mugged after the watch has been spotted and they told me to use the watch with extreme care regarding the security aspect. This and the hype /shortage thing makes me wonder if I would be better of with a GMT-C. I realize that also that watch is hard to get and a likely target for thieves, but its a bit cheaper and a bit easier to get. Even though it is difficult to find it is not as hard as the Daytona... Would I be more at ease with a GMT?

It is not a money issue and I have a full insurance on the Daytona. Again - this is not rational.

Anyone who can relate?

First of all, don't trade the Daytona, ever. Never makes sense and you will regret doing it. Everyone does.

Second there is no shortage of Rolex's. They make over one million watches a year. The AD's are just selling a lot of their stock directly to grey market dealers at over list to make more money. Go in to any grey dealer in your town and you will see plenty of new unworn examples of all your favorites.

Lastly, if someone really wants to rob you for your watch, it doesn't matter if you are wearing a Daytona, a GMT or Royal Oak, they're gonna try to take it. Best advice is to not wear your watches in dodgy areas and be keenly aware of your surroundings. Plus some empty handed skills won't hurt.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 05:35 AM   #6
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
Second there is no shortage of Rolex's. They make over one million watches a year. The AD's are just selling a lot of their stock directly to grey market dealers at over list to make more money. Go in to any grey dealer in your town and you will see plenty of new unworn examples of all your favorites.
+1

Sad, but true.
Old 16 September 2019, 05:45 AM   #7
Uggi
Banned

You can't live life like that OP. Do you drive a car? You could get jacked for it so should you sell it? Do you wear a wedding ring? Best sell it. Do you have a house which could be burgled? Maybe you should live up a tree.
I'm being facetious but only to try and help. Don't live in fear.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 05:50 AM   #8
kinggiamma
"TRF" Member

I always wear my watches in all my business trips around the world and I had only two situations where I felt slightly uncomfortable. I slided the watch in my pocket and the issue was resolved.
I think that if you are dressed out of the context that you are visiting than you have higher risks to be robbed, indipendently on the watch you have on the wrist.

Inviato dal mio MI MAX 3 utilizzando Tapatalk
kinggiamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 06:13 AM   #9
Coopdog
"TRF" Member

The real fundamental misconception here is that everyone thinks about Daytona’s the same as watch nerds. I can almost guarantee the average street thief has less awareness of what a Daytona is than any other Rolex, and that is probably the only nice brand they are aware of. If someone sizes you up to steal your watch it’s most likely because they think “that guy probably has an expensive watch.” Not because they think “ooo a 116500 that’s going for like 2x retail.”

If you’re wearing gold, jewelry, well dressed, out of place for the situation, etc then you are more likely a target. Thieves who commit petty crimes like mugging someone for a watch are inherently opportunistic. They aren’t looking for the best watch to steal they are looking for the best person to mug.

My point is this idea/fear you have is totally unfounded. To me it sounds like you are uncomfortable wearing it. If that’s the case get a different watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 06:18 AM   #10
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
So wait let me get this straight, a seller of expensive luxury items self promotes to customer a fear of wearing said items which in the long run affects future sales.

Solid business practice if I ever heard one!
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 06:18 AM   #11
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
fear is the mindkiller.
Old 16 September 2019, 07:02 AM   #12
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Sounds like me when I started to worry about an accident on my street bike. Had a few near misses and a couple of friends had some bad wrecks. The fear crept in and I started feeling really unsafe. Sold the bike and I haven't ridden since almost 15 years now.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 07:04 AM   #13
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
The AD makes no sense. So wearing a blingy, gold Invicta would make you less of a target since it is a “cheap watch” then? I don’t think so.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 07:09 AM   #14
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Unbelievable.

I am so glad I don’t live in fear.

Typing as I am walking around in public all day in a t-shirt and full yellow gold Daytona.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 07:12 AM   #15
Soultime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
First of all, don't trade the Daytona, ever. Never makes sense and you will regret doing it. Everyone does.

Lastly, if someone really wants to rob you for your watch, it doesn't matter if you are wearing a Daytona, a GMT or Royal Oak, they're gonna try to take it. Best advice is to not wear your watches in dodgy areas and be keenly aware of your surroundings. Plus some empty handed skills won't hurt.
Good point.

But I also imagine that the average mugger is more likely to identify something with a fluted bezel on a Jubilee as a Rolex rather than a Daytona.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 07:20 AM   #16
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
People have gotten robbed for their iPhones and Timberland boots over the years. You wouldn’t give up your cell phone would you?

Could it be maybe you are simply no longer in love with the Daytona? Many folks get excited about the hunt and after they obtain it then reality sets in and they wonder why they bought it. It has no date, it’s difficult to read the time, they don’t use the chrono feature and, if they did, the sub dials are so small they can’t read them either. They long for the simplicity of a Rolex GMT or Submariner. It happens a lot. That’s why there always have been so many Daytonas flipped over the years. And now flippers stand to make a nice profit. If you don’t believe me just research TRF discussion threads.

Wish you the best whatever you decide.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 07:30 AM   #17
1SG MTB
"TRF" Member

I travel to many places for work and never think twice about whether I would wear my watches. If you’re concerned about your watch being stolen insurance is great but situational awareness is even better. My $0.02.
1SG MTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 07:32 AM   #18
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Why would an AD ask how you got it? I would have replied “I got it the same way your clients get theirs.”
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 07:36 AM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, and you'll be fine.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 10:15 AM   #20
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
If I couldn't wear my watches with a t-shirt, I'd have to get rid of all my watches.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 10:24 AM   #21
DTap
"TRF" Member

Once you get 10 feet from the dealer, your watch looks like everyone else’s. Maybe the ad trying to scare you into selling?
DTap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 10:25 AM   #22
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
Why would an AD ask how you got it? I would have replied “I got it the same way your clients get theirs.”
Agree. I feel your AD is more fixated with the hype than we are. Probably one of those selling to the greys. We get all sorts of weird behavior from ADs nowadays. I also agree that it is in poor form that they would encourage paranoia about the brand.

I live in a city where many members here would consider as unsafe but I wear my watches to work everyday. Some situational awareness and you’ll be fine.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 10:49 AM   #23
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
What, from the greys the dealer sold it to for double MSRP?
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 11:48 AM   #24
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
This....

10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 12:11 PM   #25
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10klakes View Post
This....

Brilliant

To be fair, there are now quite a number of places where young riff raff know exactly what a Rolex looks like and will target you for it, in broad daylight and in what you might consider to be a ‘good’ area. After all, they just have to walk from the ‘bad’ area to get there

Of course it’s not guaranteed to happen and you would have to simply be unlucky but the way things are going through lack of law enforcement and/or punishment means there is no deterrent for these chancers. Having been lucky to visit quite a bit of Europe, things like this come up in conversation just chatting to locals

Situational awareness or being a bit handy is all good on paper, but when faced by 2 or 3 louts, the reality can be quite different for most
Old 16 September 2019, 12:29 PM   #26
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Cog-Neeto View Post
Brilliant

Situational awareness or being a bit handy is all good on paper, but when faced by 2 or 3 louts, the reality can be quite different for most

10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 12:42 PM   #27
mitc5502
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II; SubC
Quote:
then they also told me not to wear the watch with a t-shirt.

They’re saying you’re more likely to get mugged in a t-shirt?
mitc5502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 12:45 PM   #28
roxobox
"TRF" Member

I have 100% been asked where I got my white dial Daytona. I even had an AD grab my wrist to look at it closely I assume because he thought it was fake. I can't make this up. It does happen.
roxobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 12:50 PM   #29
Bladeshot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb.nc View Post
fear is the mindkiller.

Nice quote from house Atreides.
Old 16 September 2019, 02:28 PM   #30
Me4u2night
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxobox View Post
I have 100% been asked where I got my white dial Daytona. I even had an AD grab my wrist to look at it closely I assume because he thought it was fake. I can't make this up. It does happen.
Grabbed your wrist??? Hope you smacked him over the head with your other hand!
Me4u2night is offline   Reply With Quote