The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 May 2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Markg
"TRF" Member

Watch: R
Another question on patek

i dont know if there are any patek experts here (like there are for pam and rolex) but i have a question about a patek 5146

the web site shows the movement to be a 315, but i have read that at some point they changed to a silicon wheel 315, then to a 324. no date on the change, and like i noted above, the patek web site still shows the 315 movement (in the pictures).

any clue as to what they did and when? just want to know what to expect at the dealers (and how old their stock is depending on what movement/when the changes went into effect).

thanks,

mark
Markg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2008, 01:50 AM   #2
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
The full silicon escapements are available only on several Patek models at the moment. They are the 5950 Advanced Research, 5250 and 5350.

The 315 or 324 designation is for the base movement upon which the complication for the 5146 is built. I've taken close look at my 315 based 5165 and it looks like it has the silicon wheel, but I don't have it on hand at the moment to check against this picture of the silicon escape wheel.

Several other people on TZ, where I believe you have also posted about this, claim that the 315 now contains the escape wheel. I should stress that it's the escape wheel only, not the entire escapement.

I stress it's the escape wheel only

This is my watch. There are many like it but this one is mine...

Flickr
Blog
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2008, 02:34 AM   #3
Markg
"TRF" Member

Watch: R
thanks, that helps. i know little about pateks and am trying to come up to speed on some basics so i know what im looking at this weekend. i posted here first, then realized the other forum might be better (but not as user friendly)

can i ask when you got your 5146? and do i care about the 315 vs. 325? i just like the watch, but i guess when we agonize over whether or not a particular watch has a parachrome spring or not it bleeds over.....
Markg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2008, 02:47 AM   #4
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I don't have a 5146, but I do have a 5165 and a 5296. I bought the 5165 from an AD in Malaysia and the 5296 in Geneva. I did, however, try on a few 5146's last week while in Bangkok. A very nice timepiece.

315 is an older base movement than the 324. The 315 beats at 21600 and the 324 beats at 28800.

This is my watch. There are many like it but this one is mine...

Flickr
Blog
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote