The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 3 February 2009, 11:27 PM   #1
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Icon20 NEW EBAY SCAM - Possibly related to TKBarger (or similar)

Ok, little background first - remember the TKBarger fraud from few threads ago? What made them so believable is that they had feedback from buyers stating that they bought watches (high end ones) and were ecstatic with their purchases. Of course, no real transactions ever took place - the selling account was hi-jacked, as well as numerous buyers accounts. This means information on many accounts was collected over time. Here's how (or at least, one of the methods): the seller has a particular watch on ebay. That listing is shamelessly copied and listed on ebay under a different user ID. Then, yet another user informs you that 'your listing was stolen' with a link to that listing. The link is partially real, but en route to the stolen listing, you go through a page (appearing to be real ebay page) where you have to log in. Bingo - they got your info.
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2009, 11:42 PM   #2
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Imagine if these people put a little effort, in to getting an honest job, and adding some value in to the world they live in.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2009, 11:44 PM   #3
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Newton View Post
Imagine if these people put a little effort, in to getting an honest job, and adding some value in to the world they live in.

Terry Newton
Tell me about it - it is amazing how cunning they are. I don't get it - do they honestly think it will NEVER catch up to them?
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 12:16 AM   #4
idk01
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ16233TT
What sort of a personal life do these people have? If it doesn't catch up with them directly it would have to chew them up inside mentally.

I say the wrong thing or upset someone I kick myself over it, Never mind trying to steal cheat and lie, I'd go insane :-(

Fully agree with you Terry, Harness that energy for good, they wouldn't have to worry about cheating other people!

idk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 11:03 AM   #5
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by idk01 View Post
What sort of a personal life do these people have? If it doesn't catch up with them directly it would have to chew them up inside mentally.

I say the wrong thing or upset someone I kick myself over it, Never mind trying to steal cheat and lie, I'd go insane :-(

Fully agree with you Terry, Harness that energy for good, they wouldn't have to worry about cheating other people!

Criminals do not, and never will, look at the world thru the same pair of eyes as the rest of us. They see us all as potential marks, and many involved with fraud are like two players in a chess game. Them against the police, and they always think they are smarter until the last move. Most are usually caught as their greed finally catches up with them when they start making mistakes to further their chosen profession.

Not until the risks outweigh the consequences will there ever be a level playing field for the victims.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 02:08 PM   #6
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Criminals do not, and never will, look at the world thru the same pair of eyes as the rest of us. They see us all as potential marks, and many involved with fraud are like two players in a chess game. Them against the police, and they always think they are smarter until the last move. Most are usually caught as their greed finally catches up with them when they start making mistakes to further their chosen profession.

Not until the risks outweigh the consequences will there ever be a level playing field for the victims.
I agree 100%. I have worked with the criminal mind for 30 plus years. We utilize cognitive behavioral therapies, criminal thinking errors, moral reconation therapy, etc. and, very little gets a criminal to change. That's because they operate at Kohlberg's Stages of Moral Development:

Level 1 (Pre-Conventional)

1. Obedience and punishment orientation

(How can I avoid punishment?)

2. Self-interest orientation

(What's in it for me?)

Whatever I want is good, therefore, I will do anything to get it, unless it harms me in the process.

It's maddening to listen to this chain of logic. Most criminals do not make very much money at it. They spend more time getting taken care of, compliments of County's, States, and Federal Incarceration. I make far more than most of them will ever make. I always ask them what kinds of benefits come with their career. It always gets them thinking, as their health is shot most of the time. What a way to live.

I get more concerned with thieves in coats and ties. I've always believed you can steal more with a suit on, than not. Bernie Madoff was a classic example of this. There are many others but, at his level, few.

It is fun to play cat and mouse some days.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barger-jewelry.com , fraud , scam , thomas barger , tkbarger