The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 January 2017, 03:39 AM   #1
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 5500
'64 Omega is rattling..what could this be?

Decided to wear my Omega cal 600 from '64 today since I haven't worn it in about 6 months. While holding it, I couldn't help but notice that it was making this audible, and quite loud(to me, at least) rattling sound. It was like a ting ting ting sound from the balance wheel that would go on and on, stop, and then start again. The watch has done this for a while even before today. ironic thing is, I had it "serviced"(I use that term loosely) in NYC in November of 2015. it had this sound before service and ever since i picked it back up. Obviously the "service" wasn't really done correctly, right? Whats causing this?
vintagewaferthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 03:42 PM   #2
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

First guess would be a loose rotor.
But I am not sure if I am understanding the description of the sound.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 02:20 AM   #3
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Watch: Junghans Meister
I have a watch that has what sounds like similar noises. This one has a metallic sort of "singing" noise in time with the ticks. It's a 1960's Certina dress watch - never the best watches in the world, but it's elegant and slim, in almost original condition, and it keeps very good time for a non-chronometer watch that's 50-odd years old.

I'm not sure there is anything specifically wrong with it, and I've read other posts on forums asking about similar symptoms, but haven't ever found a definitive answer. My guess is that it's just the hairspring having a resonant frequency of some sort.

It only "sings" when fairly well wound - at low wind levels it doesn't do it. The timekeeping is good and consistent, so I don't think it is hung up on or touching anything, and it isn't magnetised.

The only issue for me is that it would be nice to tweak the regulation a tad (the positional delta is quite good for a watch of it's type) but it shows up the shortcomings of an entry level timing machines without any adjustable gain controls, as it struggles to latch onto the beat most of the time, and it makes using it for regulation difficult.

If any expert can chime in, I'd love to know the likely cause ?
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 03:44 AM   #4
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
First guess would be a loose rotor.
But I am not sure if I am understanding the description of the sound.
Its a manual wind, which makes me wonder even more. The sound is a bit hard to describe. If I put it up to my ear, it sometimes sounds fine. A nice healthy sounding tickticktickticktick from the movement. However, sometimes it will all of the sudden go from that to a tingtingtingting sound instead of the brisk ticking sound like it should be doing. Strange.
vintagewaferthin is offline   Reply With Quote