The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 May 2006, 06:32 AM   #61
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
I use Cross pen/pencils.
Since I work with pencils most ( so I can erase my errors), I found I really like the Cross pencil. I have one that I used for about 15 years without a problem. I said "used" because the matt finished has become a high gloss surface from daily use.
I have yet to find a pen that writes properly. Every bloody one I use, the writing turns out like a Doctor wrote it, nothing but chicken scratch.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2006, 06:36 AM   #62
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini
I use Cross pen/pencils.
Since I work with pencils most ( so I can erase my errors), I found I really like the Cross pencil. I have one that I used for about 15 years without a problem. I said "used" because the matt finished has become a high gloss surface from daily use.
I have yet to find a pen that writes properly. Every bloody one I use, the writing turns out like a Doctor wrote it, nothing but chicken scratch.
Ehhh, don't want to appear rude, but are you sure it's the pens? I use a clay tablet myself, never run out of ink
Old 20 May 2006, 05:51 AM   #63
Gentleman8
"TRF" Member

Icon9

A few years ago I was staying at a hotel in Japan and had a Montblanc pen in my room. One day I came back and realised that the pen was gone. Vanished. Knowing the scrupulous honesty of the Japanese I was quite surprised. I called reception to report this anyways.

After like an hour a bell boy knocked at my door and handed me the pen. I was surprised again. The guy wouldn't say how he found it so fast (or at all), so I rang the reception again, said I was not upset, just curious.

What had happened is this: the hotel put a pen and a pad in every guestroom. These pens looked a lot like Montblanc minus the snowcap on top. When housekeeping went to do my room they thought I had 2 hotel issue pens and took one back (which happened to be my Montblanc) and put it where they keep guestroom stationery and toiletries. I was lucky to get it back..

Last edited by Gentleman8; 21 May 2006 at 04:57 AM..
Gentleman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2006, 05:53 AM   #64
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman8
A few years ago I was staying at a hotel in Japan and had a Montblanc pen in my room. One day I came back and realised that the pen was gone. Vanished. Knowing the scrupulous honesty of the Japanese I was quite surprised. I called reception to report this anyways.

After like an hour a bell boy knocked at my door and handed me the pen. I was surprised again. The guy wouldn't say how he found it so fast (or at all), so I rang the reception again, said I was not upset, just curious.

What had happened is this: the hotel puts a pen and a pad in every guestroom. These pens look a lot like Montblanc minus the snowcap on top. When housekeeping went to do my room they thought I had 2 hotel issue pens and took one back (which happened to be my Montblanc) and put with where they keep guestroom stationery and toiletries. I was lucky to get it back..
Yeah, yeah... sure, sure... nice way to score a free MB pen.

Old 20 May 2006, 06:01 AM   #65
Gentleman8
"TRF" Member

Icon9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
Yeah, yeah... sure, sure... nice way to score a free MB pen.
Ehehe, actually it could have been any Montblanc; they could have run to a nearby shop and buy a brand new one for me just to "save face" (they would have had to correctly guess the size and model though). But I could tell it was really mine; I had slightly damaged the holding clip when I dropped the pen in a concrete stairway a few days earlier...

By the way Montblanc pens also have serial numbers.. Anyone knows if you can get any information from those?
The MB website FAQ says that they only started using serial numbers in 1991.
Old 23 May 2006, 12:04 AM   #66
Mort
"TRF" Member

The Montblanc Serial numbers are mainly used to track what dealer they came from. Yes, they also are used to show they are not fakes as well.

Several years ago Montblanc pulled their pens out of regular markets, like Office Depot, Office Max and other large stores that sold them at big discounts. Montblanc wants the brand to be more exclusive, so it is only offered to "Authorized Montblanc Dealers".

Their boutiques, jewelry stores, some luggage store and some specialty pen stores are now the only places MB will sell to.

The little numbers on the clip are now used to track what dealers the pens came from for policy knowledge.

Montblanc has internet pricing policies like Rolex does. In the U.S. Montblanc products are not allowed to be listed with list prices and most definatly no dicount prices shown. So if you see a dicounted MB pen or other product on a website, you can be most assured they are not an authorized dealer. Montblanc allows its reps to buy dicounted products from these internet sites offering the pens and then will get the numbers off the pens and find out what dealers are reselling the products to non authorized dealers and in most cases pull their accounts.

Also in some cases if you buy from an un authorized dealer, you will get a grey market pen that MB will not stand behind. Keep in mind Montblanc is like Rolex in one other major way. It is the most copied pen on the market.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2006, 02:48 AM   #67
Gentleman8
"TRF" Member

Icon9

Very interesting, thank you Mort!
Old 23 May 2006, 06:00 AM   #68
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

This is mine. A Meisterstuck 149 bought ca. 1984. The other pen is my daily 'beater', a Shaeffer. This is the best writing pen (for me) to date. The MB is too unwieldy to write long with and I find it writes too ‘fat’, despite the medium nib.

Old 23 May 2006, 06:11 AM   #69
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort

Also in some cases if you buy from an un authorized dealer, you will get a grey market pen that MB will not stand behind. Keep in mind Montblanc is like Rolex in one other major way. It is the most copied pen on the market.
In the days of yesteryear I bought a Nakamichi 582 casette deck. Through grey import, saving me over 500 guilders (almost 25%). But when I informed with the official importer a couple of years later for some service all they did is ask the serial #. No service, no chance for a new set of heads, nothing! That's how they protect their interests, but in fact it is a monopoly
Old 23 May 2006, 11:18 PM   #70
Mort
"TRF" Member

That could be a Monopoly, but the main thing is Montblanc is trying to protect its brand image as well, as its Authorized dealers.

As a Pen dealer with a real store, we have to be able to compete with all the internet dealers who run the business out of their basements. I have no problem with that. I believe in free market. But I also believe that a company like Montblanc does have a right to pick who they want to sell their products and the means in which they can sell it.

For example, most anyone can go to some of the pen companies and say they want to deal their products. If they come up with the cash for a large opening order(meaning inventory of most of all the product lime made) the pen companies will open you up. Most of these companies do not care how you sell or what you sell it for. Those compaines are not trying to protect thier brand image.

Montblanc, Cartier, Dunhill and a few other luxury compaines care. They do not want to see the market filled with their pens sold a basement prices, that is not their image. So they put these constraints on their marketing.

As a Rolex person, I bought because of the quality, durability and also the image that goes along with Rolex. The same is true with most of my pen customers and especially my Montblanc customers. Yes there are pens that are much better than Montblanc, just like there are watches that are much better than Rolex, but most of us keep buying Rolex.

Also as far as your "beater pen", the Sheaffer Balance is one of the nicest writing pens Sheaffer put out. We keep wishing they would bring it back out. Its always good to see people who really use Fountain pens, ballpens and rollerballs are nice, but once you write with fountain pens, the others are not the same. Nice pens.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2006, 11:31 PM   #71
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort

Also as far as your "beater pen", the Sheaffer Balance is one of the nicest writing pens Sheaffer put out. We keep wishing they would bring it back out. Its always good to see people who really use Fountain pens, ballpens and rollerballs are nice, but once you write with fountain pens, the others are not the same. Nice pens.
And they still have spare parts! I had the cap replaced in January
Old 31 May 2006, 01:31 AM   #72
SSB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
Good rugged pens that can really take it and keep going.
I would disagree with you there, Ed. Mont Blancs ( And other Pens in Resin) are notoriously fragile. One drop and you will break something for sure. I know, I have been there, done that :)

If one wants a tough pen ( FP or BP) , its best to stick with a Cross pen in Steel. Cross pens are ideal for everyday usage and take the drops and hits of everyday life quite well.
SSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2006, 03:03 AM   #73
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSB
I would disagree with you there, Ed. Mont Blancs ( And other Pens in Resin) are notoriously fragile. One drop and you will break something for sure. I know, I have been there, done that :)

If one wants a tough pen ( FP or BP) , its best to stick with a Cross pen in Steel. Cross pens are ideal for everyday usage and take the drops and hits of everyday life quite well.
Hi Suhail and how have you been?

I have to agree with you, Mont Blancs are made of plastic and very fragile plastic at that. I stopped using mine (ball point) when the plastic around the ball area split for a second time.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2006, 06:46 AM   #74
Manatee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSB
Mont Blancs ( And other Pens in Resin) are notoriously fragile. One drop and you will break something for sure. I know, I have been there, done that :)
I agree about the resin-bodied pens. That's why my ballpoint is a rubber-clad Montblanc Starwalker. It's so tough, I can use it to pry open stuck doors, and remove stubborn nails. ;-)

My Montblanc rollerball, with its silver body, is pretty sturdy, but I worry about the granite portion around the cap. I'd hate to see that on the floor in several pieces. The diamond at the top, on the other hand, is sealed inside a clear plastic tomb, like that on top of the Starwalker models. I keep this pen in a leather sheath in my pocket.

I just checked a few of my fountain pens (remember when I was "into" fountain pens? ;-)), and they've all dried up. Oh well. Maybe someday I'll clean one of them out so I can use it. Probably the Dupont.
Manatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2006, 09:58 AM   #75
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
I've got a Frederic Chopin 145 Montblanc fountain pen. I've used it everyday for the past year and love it.
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2006, 12:20 PM   #76
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSB

Hi, Suhail, how are you? Good to see you here again.

Maybe I'm just not as tough on pens as some others. I've never had any problems with either of my MB's (fountain or ball point).

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2006, 08:57 PM   #77
SSB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee

I just checked a few of my fountain pens (remember when I was "into" fountain pens? ;-)), and they've all dried up. Oh well. Maybe someday I'll clean one of them out so I can use it. Probably the Dupont.
My advice is that you dismantle the pen and wash the nib under running water for a minute or so.

Then put all the parts into a glassful of water for a couple of days.

Repeat the washing process under running water and your pen will be as good as new.
Old 31 May 2006, 08:59 PM   #78
SSB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
Hi, Suhail, how are you? Good to see you here again.

Maybe I'm just not as tough on pens as some others. I've never had any problems with either of my MB's (fountain or ball point).
Hey, Ed ... I too am careful with my pens, but you know accidents happen :)

And my Cross pens are better equipped to handle falls from my desk and Krish's hands than my Mont Blancs
Old 31 May 2006, 09:51 PM   #79
Manatee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSB
My advice is that you dismantle the pen and wash the nib under running water for a minute or so.

Then put all the parts into a glassful of water for a couple of days.

Repeat the washing process under running water and your pen will be as good as new.
Or I could just buy a bunch of new ones.

But seriously, thanks for the instructions, mysterious SSB. :-)
Manatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2006, 10:59 PM   #80
SSB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee
Or I could just buy a bunch of new ones.

But seriously, thanks for the instructions, mysterious SSB. :-)
I bet you'd buy 50 of them ;)
Old 1 June 2006, 09:48 AM   #81
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSB

Suhail! I hope you and yours are all well mate.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2006, 01:48 AM   #82
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
I used to sell and want Waterman pens and pencils. I had a very nice 24K cross pen that I couldn't stand to use. (Given to me as a gift)

Now, I'm hip to the Pilot G2 pens. Those can take the drops of everyday life. And if they can't, just buy another for a $1.99.
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote