The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 27 October 2009, 01:39 AM   #1
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Request for advice from TRF pen aficionados

While the pen subforum here on TRF is being worked out and finalized, I have decided to ask a couple of questions in searching for "quality" pen. Keep in mind, I've never collected or owned nice pens before.

Here is the deal: I have been greatly inspired by the fine pen community here on TRF and actively looking for my first great pen. As I am a pen novice at this point, I've have decided to ask for advice as to where should I begin.

I am tooling over the idea of picking a nice fountain pen but I do not know much (actually anything) about them. Perhaps, I should start with a nice Montblanc ballpoint pen.

I guess I just need some direction Any and all advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated

-Gus
Old 27 October 2009, 01:50 AM   #2
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Fountain pens are nice, if you want to collect them (and not use them). For everyday use, I just don't think they are practical IMHO. I personally like the way rollerballs write. If you like rollerballs, I HIGHLY recommend S.T.Dupont. NOTHING writes like a Dupont! And they are well finished as well.
2th Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 02:04 AM   #3
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th DR View Post
Fountain pens are nice, if you want to collect them (and not use them). For everyday use, I just don't think they are practical IMHO. I personally like the way rollerballs write. If you like rollerballs, I HIGHLY recommend S.T.Dupont. NOTHING writes like a Dupont! And they are well finished as well.
Thanks for your honest opinion, Mark This is exactly the type of feedback I am after.

I plan on using the pen at work a lot and fountain may not be the best fit - again I may be wrong
Old 27 October 2009, 02:06 AM   #4
sexner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 169622, 124060
As Mark has said Gus (and you too) I don't use a fountain pen for daily use. I use a ballpoint Montblanc.

I have a Le Grande from their Meisterstuck (masterpiece) collection with gold accents. The Classique is a little thinner. They come with black ink but I ordered a couple blue Med point refills and they write very nicely. My next will have the platinum trim.

Good luck!

Old 27 October 2009, 02:15 AM   #5
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexner View Post
As Mark has said Gus (and you too) I don't use a fountain pen for daily use. I use a ballpoint Montblanc.

I have a Le Grande from their Meisterstuck (masterpiece) collection with gold accents. The Classique is a little thinner. They come with black ink but I ordered a couple blue Med point refills and they write very nicely. My next will have the platinum trim.

Good luck!

Sheldon, which other types of pens are there (pardon my ignorance)?

- Fountain
- Ballpoint
- Gel?

I am leaning more toward Mb. Which ballpoint model do you own?
Old 27 October 2009, 03:26 AM   #6
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexner View Post

Good luck!

That's funny - I always replace the blue ink with the black!
Old 27 October 2009, 04:43 AM   #7
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
If there is a MB boutique in your area, go there and fondle the pens
they have all kinds of demonstrator pens with different sizes and nibs (for fountain pens).
Find one that is comfy to your hand and you like the style.
Be very careful on buying MB pens in Internet or second hand, lots of fakes.
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 04:59 AM   #8
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2careless View Post
If there is a MB boutique in your area, go there and fondle the pens
they have all kinds of demonstrator pens with different sizes and nibs (for fountain pens).
Find one that is comfy to your hand and you like the style.
Be very careful on buying MB pens in Internet or second hand, lots of fakes.
Thanks for input

What is acceptable discount % on Mb pens? Can I buy them cheaper than MSRP? If, so where?

Thanks
Gus
Old 27 October 2009, 05:08 AM   #9
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
www.fountainpenhospital.com they are in NYC with a b&m store.
Usually they give 20% discount.
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 05:11 AM   #10
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2careless View Post
www.fountainpenhospital.com they are in NYC with a b&m store.
Usually they give 20% discount.
I appreciate the link. Thanks
Old 27 October 2009, 05:17 AM   #11
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
if you want a fountain pen, there is no point in starting with a montblanc ball point just because of brand.

you should start with an entry level fountain pen (Pelikan for example), then use it for a year or two until you get accustomed to the maintenance and then start going high end..
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 05:26 AM   #12
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by children View Post
if you want a fountain pen, there is no point in starting with a montblanc ball point just because of brand.

you should start with an entry level fountain pen (Pelikan for example), then use it for a year or two until you get accustomed to the maintenance and then start going high end..
I want to start somewhere but I am not sure if I should go the fountain pen route or rollerball/ball pen. What are the benefits of each? Also, what is the difference between rollerball and ball pen?

Much obliged
Old 27 October 2009, 06:23 AM   #13
Yume-sama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Plat. Masterpiece
Yes, fountain pens are not for everyday use IMO. But, if you really wanted to, you should be able to get a rollerball extension. I have one for each of the pens in my collection, as, really, they are works of art, and I don't want to sully them by getting them dirty with INK!!
Yume-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 06:40 AM   #14
2th Dr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1@160@alltimes View Post

- Fountain
- Ballpoint
- Gel?

Gel and Rollerball pens write very similar, with minimal effort. Go to www.fountainpenhospital.com That's where I bought all mine. Hard to beat their prices. Really, those S.T.Duponts are incredible! If I ever buy another pen, it WILL be one of those! The way they write, and the way they feel in your hand, hard to beat!
Old 27 October 2009, 06:43 AM   #15
2th Dr
Banned

Quote:
I want to start somewhere but I am not sure if I should go the fountain pen route or rollerball/ball pen. What are the benefits of each? Also, what is the difference between rollerball and ball pen?

Much obliged
If you're going to be using the pen for any type of legal documents, you really should be using a ballpoint, with black ink. I know from a medico-legal standpoint, that's what we have to use. Reason: black ink copies better, and ballpoint ink won't run if it gets wet
Old 27 October 2009, 06:44 AM   #16
Browining
"TRF" Member

As others have said a fountain pen is not the most practical pen. I normally carry a ball point. I do like to have a nicer pen on me so I carry a writers edition Mont Blanc (William Faulkner). Do go to a boutique and try out the fountain pens as they need to be used differently. Most all models of pens can be had as fountain, ball or rollerball. Also check out the fountain pen network forum (lots of good advice) and online stores such as Fountain Pen Hospital, Swissher's (sp) WorldLux etc. to see whats catches your eye. They usually are below MSRP. Have fun hunting.

Browning
Browining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 07:02 AM   #17
sexner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 169622, 124060
Quote:

- Fountain
- Ballpoint
- Gel?

Hi again Gus,

My ballpoint Montblanc is a Model # 164. There are fountain, rollerball and ballpoint. Oh, and mechanical prncils.

They have several different lines such as Starwalker and some carbon fibre ones. Maybe look up their own web site. Then look for sales outlets in your area.

Good luck.

Old 27 October 2009, 07:07 AM   #18
javierleon
"TRF" Member

Have 3 Fp Montblanc, 3 sheaffer, 4 sailor

If you are looking for a hande made special one Fountain Pen "Nakaya"

MB is a Rolex but Nakaya is a Patek P.

http://watchphoto.blogspot.com/
javierleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 07:18 AM   #19
Mrdi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by children View Post

Poo ..... oop.

Pelikan is high end, they also have entry level.
The Pelikans are made in the finest German tradition, meaning function and reliability are paramount.
They are some pens out there with more bling, however , I think the Pelikans are paralell to the Rolex in classic understated beauty.
I have Mont Blanc, Parker, Pelikan and an assortment of other fountains and roller balls.
My daily pen for the last 10+ years in a Pelikan, gold nibbed fountain pen.
Outstanding in every dimension.
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 07:19 AM   #20
deserted
Banned

Watch: Patek 1909003
Mountblac has a nice line of pens , i've owned one for ten years now , i will post a pic soon....
deserted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 07:41 AM   #21
Yume-sama
"TRF" Member

How much do Nakaya pens usually cost?
Old 27 October 2009, 09:07 AM   #22
Rolexophile
"TRF" Member

Pens can become quite the hobby. Fountain pen hospital is truly top notch and their prices are competitive. Personally, I prefer a fountain pen and I do a LOT of writing. Fountain pens ooze sophistication plus you can play with multitudes of colors and ink quality that provides an added dimension to your writing enjoyment.
My suggestion for a great all around "beater" pen is Parker Cisele, then ST Dupont, and the list goes on and on. Check out fountain pen hospital and ask them to send you their annual catalog and calandar. You'll be amazed, but the key is to study your writing habits and along with the conditions you'll be writing in. Have fun and good luck, it is a very gratifying, hobby.
Rolexophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 09:21 AM   #23
shandy
Banned

I think a great many on this forum will extoll the virtues of Mont Blanc, they are good pens but there are many others out there that have great merits also and offer much more for the money I think.

Omas, the Italian manufacturer makes stunning pens, Pelikan from Germany as well.

My personal favorite of the higher end pens is one I have mentioned here before, Nakaya. For $460 you get a pen that is totally hand made, from hand turning of the ebonite barrell and cap (Ebonite is a hard rubber that was used many years ago in pen manufacture) to hand lacquring of the body with Urushi (a tree sap that is coloured and then hand applied over a period of three months).

It does not stop there though! No matter where you order your Nakaya, direct from Japan or, as I did, from the excellent John Mottishaw (a ledgend amongst the pen community) at Nibs.com a Los Angeles based company you will have the nib hand tuned to your exact writing style!

Mont blanc make excellent pens, I have two! but I really encourage you to look at others, Go sign up at FPN, there you will find many many great souls who will guide you into the perfect pen you want.
There is nothing as relaxing or satisfying as writing with a nice fountain pen!

Oh yes, one last thing, do have a look at vintage, my everyday writer is a 1926 Parker Duofold with a lovely flexible stub nib!
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 09:23 AM   #24
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
How much do Nakaya pens usually cost?
You can get a basic Urushi for $460 either direct from Japan or from nibs.com in LA, the sky is the limit though, check out their website!
http://www.nakaya.org/eindex.html

Mine is away in LA at the moment having a new nib fitted as I have become a fan of broad flexible nibs!
Old 27 October 2009, 09:26 AM   #25
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

No advice for you Gus(as I know nothing either about pens!)but I do wish you all the best on your new found interest!!!
Way to go.....
Rob.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 09:33 AM   #26
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by javierleon View Post
Have 3 Fp Montblanc, 3 sheaffer, 4 sailor

If you are looking for a hande made special one Fountain Pen "Nakaya"

MB is a Rolex but Nakaya is a Patek P.
could not have put it better myself!
Here is a shot of mine with the exquisite hand made box it comes with!

And a shot with another hand made Japanese item, my Citizen 2100!

That is a medium nib on the Nakaya, it is away at the moment having a nice juicy broad stub flexible nib fitted
Old 27 October 2009, 09:42 AM   #27
Yume-sama
"TRF" Member

I am a big fan of Japanese craftsmanship (who'd have guessed...) they are probably the most perfectly put together pens ever.

Pens are definitely my second hobby! Just yesterday I was so relieved because I found my FAVORITE long lost pen that had been missing since August.

Old 27 October 2009, 10:04 AM   #28
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ, SS DJ
I would like to recommend you go to your local pen shop/stationers, write with various models and then order your selection (or at least get a price from) www.bromfieldpenshop.com. They are located in Boston, not too far from Harvard's campus and have an incredible collection of brands and hard-to-find items. I recently acquired my new Mont Blanc bordeaux rollerball there (authorized Mont Blanc dealer) which has been out of production for at least a couple years. More importantly, I have not found better prices anywhere, and if you do, they will match it and have free shipping. Check it out.
Old 27 October 2009, 10:08 AM   #29
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
I am a big fan of Japanese craftsmanship (who'd have guessed...) they are probably the most perfectly put together pens ever.

Pens are definitely my second hobby! Just yesterday I was so relieved because I found my FAVORITE long lost pen that had been missing since August.

That really is quite stunning, you would definately like some of the artisan Nakaya's!

From the Nakaya website!
http://www.nakaya.org/emakie1.html
Old 27 October 2009, 10:15 AM   #30
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your insight and suggestions

I had already registered on FPN but for some reason, I am unable to start or reply to any threads. Not sure why

I think I will pay fountain pen hospital a visit over this weekend look at some ballpoint and fountain pens. From looking at the website, they are located downtown Manhattan near Wall St.