The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 27 March 2020, 12:23 PM   #31
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Still expensive. Will be 30k soon enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 March 2020, 12:26 PM   #32
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontHeadlock View Post
Definitely right.

Also, pls give me the lottery numbers for next week. Thanks.
Touche. If we could all time the stock market, 5711s at 100k is always possible!
Old 27 March 2020, 10:50 PM   #33
A971
"TRF" Member

I think it's a good deal.

Lot of focus has shifted to where this puts your overall cash position, and what the world will look like x days from now.

But for right now? This is a good price.
Old 27 March 2020, 10:56 PM   #34
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
Touche. If we could all time the stock market, 5711s at 100k is always possible!
Wow. That more then it’s gold counterpart.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 27 March 2020, 10:57 PM   #35
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post

Looks like I won’t have to eat my red wing boots because 100k ain’t happening anytime soon without some hyperinflation lol
Old 27 March 2020, 10:59 PM   #36
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Looks like I won’t have to eat my red wing boots because 100k ain’t happening anytime soon without some hyperinflation lol
I don’t know brother. Some people are asking 85K for that thing. Who would’ve ever thought that could happen?

Instagram - patton250
Old 28 March 2020, 12:36 AM   #37
kans86
"TRF" Member

I also come to the thinking that price correction will continue, and downward. A large grey dealer here has been offering a bunch of hot Patek and vintage Rolex pieces at attractive prices. He must have kept all in his safe a few months ago.
Old 28 March 2020, 01:04 AM   #38
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

I'll buy a new 5711 or 5712 at MSRP (RRP in the UK).

Just putting that out there.
Old 28 March 2020, 01:36 AM   #39
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

With the recent price increases, what is MSRP on a 5711 now?
Old 28 March 2020, 01:38 AM   #40
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
with the recent price increases, what is msrp on a 5711 now?

Instagram - patton250
Old 28 March 2020, 01:44 AM   #41
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
Still expensive. Will be 30k soon enough

Ha ! Don’t count on that :-))
Old 28 March 2020, 06:11 AM   #42
kronomentro
"TRF" Member

Watch: APRO & PPRegulator
Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Ha ! Don’t count on that :-))
Everyone is always so doubtful that prices will come down. I suspect its because many of us own these watches and dont want to see/admit value vanishing before our eyes. Im not a doomsday-ist by any means but just look at what is happening with local businesses and unemployment claims. Forget about the stock market volatility. Ask yourself at the margin how many wives are gonna be cool with their husbands spending 10+ k over retail for an actively produced serial product. I tell you I myself would think twice when I know wait lists are gonna dry up and I could purchase at retail from an AD and continue my direct relationship/patronage. For some of these pieces many of us having been waiting for many months, if not years. Why wouldnt we just wait to see how this all plays out and just buy at retail? Oh yes there is FOMO, but that shit starts going out the window when you hear about people losing their jobs or falling ill.

I have an anesthesiologist friend concerned her income is going to drop b/c elective surgeries are on hold. So if thats what an anesthesiologist is saying during a medical crisis, how about a corporate attorney or executive? let alone a small business owner..

Has anyone called a grey dealer and asked what they sell a 5711 these days? Love is love but dont kid yourself-this a non income producing asset that is actively being diluted!
Old 28 March 2020, 06:15 AM   #43
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronomentro View Post
Everyone is always so doubtful that prices will come down. I suspect its because many of us own these watches and dont want to see/admit value vanishing before our eyes. Im not a doomsday-ist by any means but just look at what is happening with local businesses and unemployment claims. Forget about the stock market volatility. Ask yourself at the margin how many wives are gonna be cool with their husbands spending 10+ k over retail for an actively produced serial product. I tell you I myself would think twice when I know wait lists are gonna dry up and I could purchase at retail from an AD and continue my direct relationship/patronage. For some of these pieces many of us having been waiting for many months, if not years. Why wouldnt we just wait to see how this all plays out and just buy at retail? Oh yes there is FOMO, but that shit starts going out the window when you hear about people losing their jobs or falling ill.

I have an anesthesiologist friend concerned her income is going to drop b/c elective surgeries are on hold. So if thats what an anesthesiologist is saying during a medical crisis, how about a corporate attorney or executive? let alone a small business owner..

Has anyone called a grey dealer and asked what they sell a 5711 these days? Love is love but dont kid yourself-this a non income producing asset that is actively being diluted!
Perhaps you haven’t noticed that pieces are selling on our very own sales boards here still. I haven’t seen them come down on pricing for the hot pieces one cent. I’m not saying they won’t come down a little in the future but Rolex is Rolex and Patek is Patek. We will see though.

Instagram - patton250
Old 28 March 2020, 06:28 AM   #44
kronomentro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Perhaps you haven’t noticed that pieces are selling on our very own sales boards here still. I haven’t seen them come down on pricing for the hot pieces one cent. I’m not saying they won’t come down a little in the future but Rolex is Rolex and Patek is Patek. We will see though.
Ive only been in a the game for a few years but havent ever seen so many dealers with postings of "Priced to Fly" or as many WatchRecon price drop emails alerts.

Naturally there is always someone buying and selling but if the pool of buyers/cash is shrinking and the supply is increasing, I think we can fairly easily plot what happens to price. This is more relevant for products in the modern collection.

Look at what Hodinkee is doing profiling retail shops in this troubled time. Some of these businesses have been open for DECADES and have to resort to this type of support.
Old 28 March 2020, 06:34 AM   #45
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

The 5711s def have. They were around mid to high 70’s and now you have bnib examples for 65 and other sellers struggling to sell at 54k.
Old 28 March 2020, 06:42 AM   #46
Commonproject
Banned

Quote:
Stop being so delusional. I've seen several threads for 5711/5712s consistently dropping prices for the past two weeks and still no bite. Please show me a single "Sold" on 5711's in the FS section. "one cent" my a$$ lol.
Old 28 March 2020, 06:46 AM   #47
kronomentro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The 5711s def have. They were around mid to high 70’s and now you have bnib examples for 65 and other sellers struggling to sell at 54k.
totally with you! and if Im waiting for a 5711 for the last 1-2 years, how I am I gonna explain to my wife that right now I want to spend 20k over retail when x thousand people got infected, y hundred people died and z million people lost their jobs today?!? Oh, I'll consider retail price from an AD with which I have a longstanding relationship esp if they are challenged.

The president can say what he wants, the local leadership in NY and CA arent talking about resuming business before May at the earliest. And then in what capacity!?
Old 28 March 2020, 06:48 AM   #48
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
Stop being so delusional. I've seen several threads for 5711/5712s consistently dropping prices for the past two weeks and still no bite. Please show me a single "Sold" on 5711's in the FS section. "one cent" my a$$ lol.
A little harsh aren’t you? You must want a 5711 really bad.

Instagram - patton250
Old 28 March 2020, 06:49 AM   #49
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I’ve seen that.

Good

Instagram - patton250
Old 28 March 2020, 07:12 AM   #50
Commonproject
Banned

Quote:
A little harsh aren’t you? You must want a 5711 really bad.
Oh no did I hurt your feelings by pointing out how completely wrong you are? Sorry - here's a napkin to wipe your little tears.

BTW I've never wanted a 5711, look at my past posts.
Old 28 March 2020, 07:35 AM   #51
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Why would grey dealers suddenly announce massive price reductions? They wouldn't unless forced to, when they really need the cash. However, I'm willing to bet that there's decent price differences between advertised and sold prices. We just wont ever see it.
Old 28 March 2020, 08:36 AM   #52
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Old 28 March 2020, 04:46 PM   #53
MikeMike
"TRF" Member

WatchBox dropped their prices on all 5711 by at least $5,000. A blue dial SS and a 5711r have both been sold in the last week or so.
Old 28 March 2020, 06:46 PM   #54
lovetherolex
Banned

I have observed price drops on this and other pieces with premiums. Some drops on the order of 5 figures for pieces in the 6 figure range. And not yet sold. Don’t let anyone convince you that things aren’t changing. Slowly but surely they are, as all this sinks in.

And how long did it take for you to get that offer nearing the 40s. Not long.

The signs are there. So is the movement (no pun). Bide your time. This has just begun.

Quote:
Oh no did I hurt your feelings by pointing out how completely wrong you are? Sorry - here's a napkin to wipe your little tears.

Accurate. and if you don’t put it to bed it’ll keep coming back with the same one note remarks.
Old 28 March 2020, 07:25 PM   #55
Bosscheto
"TRF" Member

What is the situation where you live economically? With us is getting deeper and deeper into the sticky shit situation. I see around me (me included) all the jokes that this is an early summer vacation, drying up. I personally cannot afford to buy even at MSRP - I have a mortgage and a kid in a private school, I am not risking any of this. I have cash in the bank for two years, and I am buying only food and pencils.

It is a weird situation, have been waiting 2 years for an aquanaut, and I bet my balls - once they open I will get the call, but I do not have the balls to buy it. 17 500 CHF - this is half a year in school - too risky.
Old 28 March 2020, 11:48 PM   #56
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Seen the king nautilus 5740 is down to 150 asking these days. These premiums are going to disappear in my opinion.
Old 29 March 2020, 12:26 AM   #57
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Good deal for 5711 1A

Ernest Hemingway comes to mind here. While he was referring to bankruptcy, he says it happened “Gradually, then suddenly “.

Most lasting change occurs in this way. We’ve seen a gradual easing in premiums since the Summer months of 2019. While they were not dramatic, they were definitely there. Unfortunately, we now have a black swan event that’s going to force the “suddenly” part.

Most of us want higher resale value...I’m admittedly in that camp as I can’t spend tens of thousands of dollars on a watch and just be cool with it going POOF.

But you do have to look at reality. Prices are already down 20%+. And, unless the grays forgot how to mark things as sold, nothing is moving. Prices have much further to fall IMO and for many hot watches they’re going to get very close to the MSRP floor if this doesn’t improve quickly. I hope I’m wrong, but at the end of the day this is simple economics. Also add to it if we are headed towards a global recession or depression, this industry is impacted big time. The only way it can continue on the up and up path is with new blood and new interest, and in challenging times there just aren’t that many people thinking about or flaunting luxury watches.

Regardless of what the next few months or years hold, it’ll be back. It’s an industry now and the cat is out of the bag. The hot brands will forever more limit supply, and when times are good there will be many people lined up to exploit it for profit. That’s capitalism...
Old 29 March 2020, 12:38 AM   #58
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I don’t know why you continue to be so insulting. All because of a disagreement? we disagree. So what. Be nice.

Instagram - patton250
Old 29 March 2020, 12:39 AM   #59
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherolex View Post
I have observed price drops on this and other pieces with premiums. Some drops on the order of 5 figures for pieces in the 6 figure range. And not yet sold. Don’t let anyone convince you that things aren’t changing. Slowly but surely they are, as all this sinks in.

And how long did it take for you to get that offer nearing the 40s. Not long.

The signs are there. So is the movement (no pun). Bide your time. This has just begun.

Accurate. and if you don’t put it to bed it’ll keep coming back with the same one note remarks.
How you have managed to not get banned from this forum yet is a mystery I’m sure I’ll never know.

Instagram - patton250
Old 29 March 2020, 12:57 AM   #60
Bosscheto
"TRF" Member

Where do you check the prices btw? Obviously Chrono 24 is not reliable for a noobie like me.
Closed Thread