The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 October 2020, 02:28 AM   #1
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

SARX055 - a frosty incoming

After purchasing my Explorer and Sub in 2018 and 2019, respectively, I had sworn off of watch purchases this year. However increasingly I’ve become a bit bored with my SARB035 and desired to replace it within something both nicer and more interesting. I’ve been a fan of the SARX055 since it was released back in 2018 but I was always scared away by the stated diameter of 40.8mm. However after recently digging in further and discovering the lug to lug is only a shade over 46, I took another look. When I stumbled upon a deal on eBay I simply could not refuse, I pulled the trigger on this very gently used example that was just purchased from Gnomon back in May of this year.

Thus far I am very pleased. The dial is definitely the showpiece here but in person it is more subtle than it appears in many photos - which is just fine with me. I don’t need something that is in your face but I did require something with visual interest - and the SARX055 definitely delivers in that regard. As I attempt to show with my photos the dial can transform from a gleaming white to a shimmering silver to even a stormy grey. This is not a snowflake; I find it to look more like frost on a window.

I did not know what to expect from the titanium having never owned a titanium watch but I became very quickly accustomed to it and frankly enjoy the light feel of the watch on my wrist. The bracelet with its polished “ribbons” and raised center links provides even further visual interest, which I appreciate. I plan for this to serve as a semi-dress watch for me and will be on the hunt for a nice leather strap - I’m thinking a navy blue.

Some have criticized the inclusion of the 6R15 in this watch, which is the same movement that can be found in some Seiko watches for half the price. However having owned a SARB035 I’ve never experienced an issue with the movement. These are rotation pieces for me so COSC-level accuracy is not of particular concern.

The finishing here is definitely a step up from the SARBs. Besides the dial my next favorite thing about this watch is the way the lugs and mid case sharply curve around the dial - I find this design language very interesting and pleasing. The polishing is very well done and again, a step up from the SARBs.

If I had to pick a couple of negative aspects: 1)I could really do without the sub-seconds on the chapter ring on a watch like this, 2)the titanium bracelet easily picks up water marks/surface stains that I find myself wiping during the day.

Overall I am very satisfied with my purchase. The SARX055 will fill a need in my collection with my Explorer serving as a daily, Sub as my diver and the SARX as my dress(ish).

mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 06:27 AM   #2
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Nice!
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 06:45 AM   #3
JTL31
2024 Pledge Member

Nice write up - BIG congrats! Enjoy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 06:55 AM   #4
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL31 View Post
Nice write up - BIG congrats! Enjoy :)
Happy to join the club - and thank you for the strap inspiration!
Old 20 October 2020, 07:30 AM   #5
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Nice !
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 11:48 AM   #6
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Great pics. Looks fantastic on you.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 06:54 PM   #7
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Great looking Seiko. Thanks for the write-up
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 08:20 PM   #8
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 11:42 PM   #9
Nucengineer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Navitmer 1 B01
Nice pick up. Enjoy it in good health!

Regards,

Jim
Nucengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 08:11 AM   #10
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone, much appreciated! A couple of other points I will make in favor of this watch:

-The anti-reflective treatment is truly exemplary. From normal viewing angles the crystal is virtually invisible. One of the things I found disappointing about my SARB is that the crystal was a bit cloudy and in certain lighting would make the dial look a bit dull.

-The winding action of the 6R15D in this watch is vastly superior to the winding action of the 6R15D in my SARB. The difference is very noticeable. Also over the past 72+ hours, most of that with the watch on my wrist, it has lost a grand total of 2 seconds. I know these 6Rs can be erratic but over this limited time period that is accuracy that actually exceeds that of my Rolexes.