The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 18 October 2020, 02:15 PM   #61
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
As others have stated, the nautilus is trading for 60k. That watch is not gonna go down in price.
Nobody knows
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 02:21 PM   #62
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Nobody knows
Fair enough but you have to understand it’s a reward watch for pateks best customers. 10 years ago very few people knew about this watch and thought it was expensive at retail, so 10 years ago you could have easily bought it from an AD or even Tiffany and company. Now millions and millions of people know about this watch. So unless you can erase the memory of millions of people the watch is going to maintain the value.

Now I’m not so sure that a two or three-year old one that’s been worn a bunch is worth a ton of money. A Nautilis in unworn condition is probably going to continue to sell well above retail.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 02:23 PM   #63
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I would say don’t do it. PM vs SS. One is worth its weight in gold and the other is certainly quite inflated with hype. Really? 70k for a date only 5711?! If it has a complication or perpetual calendar at 70k sure go ahead. But for a date only SS 5711, with another 20-30k premium if it comes with a Tiffany stamp....you gonna be taken to the cleaners
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 02:26 PM   #64
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fair enough but you have to understand it’s a reward watch for pateks best customers. 10 years ago very few people knew about this watch and thought it was expensive at retail, so 10 years ago you could have easily bought it from an AD or even Tiffany and company. Now millions and millions of people know about this watch. So unless you can erase the memory of millions of people the watch is going to maintain the value.

Now I’m not so sure that a two or three-year old one that’s been worn a bunch is worth a ton of money. A Nautilis in unworn condition is probably going to continue to sell well above retail.
But see you’re backtracking way too far. I literally was *pushed* to buy a Nautilus in late 2017 by an AD. That’s less than 3 years ago. This hype/trend is relatively new.

If it’s still 2025 and they’re commanding these premiums I’ll be inclined to agree that it’s not coming back down. However, we’re still in the beginning of this trend and it could completely fall apart in the next 3 years with people holding SS watches which won’t be worth what they paid even in their lifetime.

People are concluding way too easily ‘this is the new new’ when it’s only been a couple full years. It’s easy to get caught up in the hype, I still don’t think it’s realistic this lasts. In my opinion it’s already turning with some people as these models aren’t as new and hot now. More common folk have them, it’s not as impressive. People will move on to something else.
Old 18 October 2020, 02:27 PM   #65
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

FWIW as much as I love the nautilus I probably wouldn’t do it.
Old 18 October 2020, 02:30 PM   #66
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Hmm... it’s very popular now. But like all trendy things it tends to decline once the flavour of the month changes. Like the Yeezys, Beats by Dre... few years ago you could see many people on the streets with them. Now Beats by Dre has been taken over by AirPods... Some Yeezys have dropped in value as well. It’s a good watch the 5711.... but not 70k good.
Old 18 October 2020, 02:30 PM   #67
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But see you’re backtracking way too far. I literally was *pushed* to buy a Nautilus in late 2017 by an AD. That’s less than 3 years ago. This hype/trend is relatively new.

If it’s still 2025 and they’re commanding these premiums I’ll be inclined to agree that it’s not coming back down. However, we’re still in the beginning of this couple complexly fall apart I’m the next 3 years with people holding SS watches which won’t be worth what they paid even in their lifetime.
I don’t think we disagree. To me it’s not worth paying 60 grand for a stainless steel watch because I would want to wear it, a lot. I would wear it so much that it would no longer be worth anywhere near 60 grand. I bet even right now during this current hysteria if you had a well worn 5711 a grey dealer would only give you 40 for it. So anybody that pays 60 grand for a watch like this is setting themselves up for a minimum $20,000 loss. That’s why I have not done it myself.
Old 18 October 2020, 02:36 PM   #68
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Hmm... it’s very popular now. But like all trendy things it tends to decline once the flavour of the month changes. Like the Yeezys, Beats by Dre... few years ago you could see many people on the streets with them. Now Beats by Dre has been taken over by AirPods... Some Yeezys have dropped in value as well. It’s a good watch the 5711.... but not 70k good.
It’s only cool because it’s ‘new’. What a lot fail to realize is people become tiresome of things quickly, especially with our short attention span in modern day. You can only see so many Hulk pics or Nautilus pics before you finally say ‘ok enough of that, xxxxx’s account had that last year, old news’.

I firmly believe people will get burnt out and demand will dwindle and everybody will laugh at the insanity (unless you paid 2.5x MSRP)
Old 18 October 2020, 02:43 PM   #69
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
yeezys dropped because they have a release every month and its super easy to get them. kanye said he wants everyone who wants yeezys to have the opportunity to get them
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 02:45 PM   #70
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s only cool because it’s ‘new’. What a lot fail to realize is people become tiresome of things quickly, especially with our short attention span in modern day. You can only see so many Hulk pics or Nautilus pics before you finally say ‘ok enough of that, xxxxx’s account had that last year, old news’.

I firmly believe people will get burnt out and demand will dwindle and everybody will laugh at the insanity (unless you paid 2.5x MSRP)
What we need is a hipster to wear something else and watch this insanity end in tears for those that bought 1 at 70k. I think that people need to try the nautilus for themselves and see what it’s all about before paying 70k. Forget about Instagram for a while. Go and try it. The weight and presence of the 5711 is not comparable to the 116508.
Old 18 October 2020, 02:46 PM   #71
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Oh geez. I will never ever buy sneakers from a flipper. Every time I think the watch game is retarded I just can look at the shoe game and feel better about myself.
Old 18 October 2020, 02:48 PM   #72
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

I think it’s kind of weird that I have zero social media accounts and people keep insinuating that I like watches because of Instagram.
Old 18 October 2020, 02:48 PM   #73
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
yeezys dropped because they have a release every month and its super easy to get them. kanye said he wants everyone who wants yeezys to have the opportunity to get them
I’m not too sure how the sneaker market works tbh but I think the hype has died slightly. Now everybody is going crazy for SUPREME branded stuff which is another madness on its own. That’s even worse than the 5711 grey market price...
Old 18 October 2020, 02:51 PM   #74
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I’m not too sure how the sneaker market works tbh but I think the hype has died slightly. Now everybody is going crazy for SUPREME branded stuff which is another madness on its own. That’s even worse than the 5711 grey market price...
it's all about how rare the sneakers are and how hard they are to get. all the jordan collabs have super high premiums and go up over time still. but the sneaker game is dumber than the watch game because every shoe basically has 1 release and thats it, so yeezy hype died the day kanye decided to do that and make all of them not exclusive anymore
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 02:54 PM   #75
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think it’s kind of weird that I have zero social media accounts and people keep insinuating that I like watches because of Instagram.
It’s not about social media 100%... but unless you lived on an island for the last 3 years I’m pretty sure you would have seen the Nautilus/Aquanaut drooling somewhere on the internet. Either on YouTube watching someone glorifying the 5711 or one of your watch friends talking about it and how hard it is to get one which fuels your curiosity.
Old 18 October 2020, 02:55 PM   #76
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

I’ve never been big on sneakers unless they were to play tennis in or something. I recently thought it might be kind of cool to have some of the original air Jordans that I had in junior high and high school from the 90s. Then I learned that the most wanted original Jordans are released in very small numbers and sell out in minutes. Then you have to buy them on the secondhand market for nearly $1000. No thanks.
Old 18 October 2020, 02:56 PM   #77
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
it's all about how rare the sneakers are and how hard they are to get. all the jordan collabs have super high premiums and go up over time still. but the sneaker game is dumber than the watch game because every shoe basically has 1 release and thats it, so yeezy hype died the day kanye decided to do that and make all of them not exclusive anymore
I just think that watches are more versatile. One can wear them and still keep them clean after a day out. I don’t think one can wear a shoe on a rainy day and still keep it looking white after walking on a wet road.
Old 18 October 2020, 02:57 PM   #78
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s not about social media 100%... but unless you lived on an island for the last 3 years I’m pretty sure you would have seen the Nautilus/Aquanaut drooling somewhere on the internet. Either on YouTube watching someone glorifying the 5711 or one of your watch friends talking about it and how hard it is to get one which fuels your curiosity.
I have actually wanted a Nautilis since the year 2000. Back then it was very easy to get but it was still three times the price of a Rolex and I just thought it was expensive. Is that acceptable to you?
Old 18 October 2020, 03:09 PM   #79
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have actually wanted a Nautilis since the year 2000. Back then it was very easy to get but it was still three times the price of a Rolex and I just thought it was expensive. Is that acceptable to you?
Of course! It’s your money! Do as you please! It’s the internet. You don’t have to explain what you do with your money. But it’s a free forum whereby everyone can express their thoughts. My thoughts are that its demand is fuelled by social media and you can disagree. It will be really boring if this world only has Yes Man and whatever I say you just nod your head and vice versa
Old 18 October 2020, 03:14 PM   #80
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
I'm not a Daytona fan, but that one with the green face is amazing. To trade that for a SS watch, and a Patek to boot is not to your advantage.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 03:17 PM   #81
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
I don't even like Daytonas and that seems like a bad trade! I suppose if you'd wear the PP, you don't wear your Daytona, and you know it isn't a great trade - go for it.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 03:21 PM   #82
dmash
"TRF" Member

If people were really into horology as much as they claimed, they’d surely see how $70k is insane for a SS 3 handed Nautilus when you could have a Patek Perpetual white gold for LESS than that.

Actually that may be the next influencer brag. Complications on leather strap. Making fun of SS sport owners as being ‘phony’ watch guys I’d LOVE to see a brand like Lange come full force into public eye, they deserve it
Old 18 October 2020, 03:23 PM   #83
WestCoastS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Bad deal!!!
WestCoastS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 03:42 PM   #84
PRabbit
"TRF" Member

I would 100% do the trade. Only due to the price. I would immediately sell the Nautilus and then either buy back the Daytona, or in your case, something else that gets more wrist time.

Make quick money. Watch wise, that Daytona >>> Nautilus. I don’t even think it is even worth its’ MSRP. I would pay more money for a VC Overseas. If I wasn’t allowed to ever sell, I would buy the Overseas instead, even if the Nautilus was offered to me at only $15k.
PRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 03:58 PM   #85
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRabbit View Post
I would 100% do the trade. Only due to the price. I would immediately sell the Nautilus and then either buy back the Daytona, or in your case, something else that gets more wrist time.

Make quick money. Watch wise, that Daytona >>> Nautilus. I don’t even think it is even worth its’ MSRP. I would pay more money for a VC Overseas. If I wasn’t allowed to ever sell, I would buy the Overseas instead, even if the Nautilus was offered to me at only $15k.
Good point. The overseas comes with 3 bracelets and a quick change system. It also has very nice movement finishing, hence the Geneva seal. Plus you can walk into an AD and buy it for 19k.
Old 18 October 2020, 04:00 PM   #86
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good point. The overseas comes with 3 bracelets and a quick change system. It also has very nice movement finishing, hence the Geneva seal. Plus you can walk into an AD and buy it for 19k.
Vacheron and Lange, unbelievably underrated.
Old 18 October 2020, 04:03 PM   #87
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Vacheron and Lange, unbelievably underrated.
Too bad I want the Zeitwerk! Sooo expensive. I just love the design though.
Old 18 October 2020, 04:06 PM   #88
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

I also love the new Lange Odysseus sports watch in white gold on rubber bracelet. Now that’s a luxury sports watch.
Old 18 October 2020, 10:25 PM   #89
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Mos def. 5711 more wearable. That yellow one isn’t very versatile imo
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 10:27 PM   #90
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

The Gold Daytona you own is a work of art, the Patel you are considering is blah.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote