The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 June 2021, 06:01 PM   #1
fasteddie5
"TRF" Member

Explorer 1 timing concern/questions

Got a new Explorer 1 214270 from an AD late last year. I think it has timing issues. Its accurate, + - a few seconds depending on positions (Weishi 1900). The watch is accurate. Thats not the problem.

The amplitude is 245 at best... full wind, face up. Its 214-220 crown up or down at a full wind. But after 24 hours, its down to 215 face up and 189 crown up or down.

I searched high and low for the chart someone posted of movements and specs, but I have not been able to find it again. Apologies for rehashing this frequent topic.

I also have a GMT II just a few months old. It measures 260-265 face up fully wound.

So I'm wondering a few things. Are new Rolexes "tight" and the amplitude gets better as they get used and broken in?

On this particular Explorer 1, should I go back to AD or RSC? I ask because it seems to be borderline on the specs. And what causes the amplitude to be low on a brand new watch. I didnt keep track, but I think amplitude was higher when I first got it, but dont recall.

Thx for the feedback.

First post here, btw. Gradually getting back into watches, since I cant carry a custom knife many places, but I can still wear a watch.
fasteddie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 07:03 PM   #2
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
We need just a little more information.

It seems you have a Weishi 1900 great.

please head over to a big thread on this very subject here .....

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=786299

We can all guide you through the entire simple process of data collection and analasys to know what is ir is not wrong in your watch's case.

It helps to know date of purchase. Model no Movement model.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 07:04 PM   #3
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie5 View Post
First post here, btw. Gradually getting back into watches, since I cant carry a custom knife many places, but I can still wear a watch.
Ps ... Sorry, I forgot to welcome you to the forums.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 07:37 PM   #4
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Welcome!

The movement inside your Rolex Explorer I (Ref.214270) is the Rolex caliber 3132 with 48 hours of power reserve.

The amplitudes you measured (245 at best) in dial up position (after full winding) are certainly too low for a new watch bought late 2020. There is no discussion about that.

For a 31xx caliber (lift angle: 52 degrees) the amplitudes in horizontal positions (DU, DD) should be around 300 degrees.

Healthy 31xx amplitude curves (in DU position) look as follows

Here an example for my Submariner 14060M measured in May 2021

saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 02:16 PM   #5
fasteddie5
"TRF" Member

Took my explorer 1 back to the AD. Watchmaker agreed it was running too low. Since low readings are a little above 200 with an occasional 185 or so, hopefully Rolex also agrees its too low. Now the wait begins. I think they said 4-6 weeks.
Old 13 June 2021, 03:21 PM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

A year old watch with 3130 movement should not run at 240ish degrees fully wound in horizontal position. Send to RSC.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 06:36 AM   #7
Dennisoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar

I’ve a 214270 which I bought from an AD in June 2019…I did test just a couple of days ago on a Weishi 1900…I did a full wind rest and a 24 hour test here’s the 2 sets of results that you can compare to your own.
It hasn’t been serviced or regulated this is how it came from new…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dennisoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 05:20 PM   #8
saxo3
"TRF" Member

No probs at all for this watch.

Compare your data with the graphs and table above (post #4)
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 03:38 PM   #9
fasteddie5
"TRF" Member

update: Dropped it off on 6/9 at Ben Bridge where purchased, and two and a half weeks later and Rolex doesnt yet have it logged into their system. Nerve wracking to say the least. Rolex rep said they're backed up and warranty repairs running 6-8 weeks. Next time I'm sending it to Rolex myself or taking the drive up to Dallas to drop it off at RSC.
Old 29 June 2021, 06:00 AM   #10
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Yeah I always hear that dealing directly with RSC is your best bet. Middleman only stands to muddy the waters. Please let us know when it eventually gets back how things turned out!
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 05:36 PM   #11
fasteddie5
"TRF" Member

Got it back a week or so ago... mid July. All that the paperwork said was "check movement" which from what I've read is normal for RSC. Watchmaker at Ben Bridge said they got 277 fully wound on the timegrapher and they thought that was ok. My chinese timegrapher is showing 260 on full wind and better than 200 (225 iirc) after 24 hours. So maybe RSC did do something to the watch.

Like most collectors who own timegraphers, I'm looking for best performance. Are those readings ok?

I plan to check the power reserve next and see if thats up to snuff. Of all the Rolexes I've owned, new and used, this is the only one I've had any issues with. I intend to call RSC to ask for details.
Old 5 August 2021, 04:49 AM   #12
fasteddie5
"TRF" Member

Talked to RSC today. Rep was very nice on the phone. Looked up the repair and found notes from the watchmaker. The "great wheel" had inadequate or deteriorated lubrication. So they found something, and I assume they fixed it. My question for you folks is, what is the "great wheel?"
Old 7 August 2021, 04:03 AM   #13
Rolex tom
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex,seiko,Omega
It’s the first wheel in the train, it’s driven by the barrel which contains the mainspring.
Rolex tom is offline   Reply With Quote