The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 May 2023, 03:13 AM   #1
Brazen331
"TRF" Member

1086 or 000

My girlfriend made me sell my watches years ago but want to get back into the game and I am currently on a waitlist for a Rolex Sub. While I wait I am considering a Panerai.

I have owned a 000, 113, 25, 183 and 190 in the past. Still really wish I had 3 of the 5, bet you can get which ones.

My question is would it be stupid to buy the 1086 from a boutique or Grey market over getting the 000 used? I loved my zero but I also want all scratches and scuffs on my watch to be my own, not a huge deal but a consideration.

Has Panerai made any improvements to the base model over the years? Which technically is the better watch right now? I bought my 000 for 3,000 brand new and it looks to have gone up in value. Does the same potential exist for the 1086 or will the new models never compete with the early 2000 output?

Just a few questions I have since I am just getting back into the game. Would really appreciate some illumination from knowledgeable Paneristi.
Thanks
Brazen331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2023, 04:47 AM   #2
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

I’d go old school any day. 300m water resistance, easily serviceable eta. I prefer clean dial and went 112.
Old 19 May 2023, 07:01 AM   #3
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
112 on a distressed leather strap. It's still the best.

michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2023, 08:34 AM   #4
sp5702
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
I’d go old school any day. 300m water resistance, easily serviceable eta. I prefer clean dial and went 112.

Would second this, although prefer the 111 in my case. They lost me with the cost cutting on the newer entry level models. Snap case backs, spring bars, etc.

Love OG PAM but it’s a brand that continues to stray from its DNA.
sp5702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2023, 09:55 AM   #5
Brazen331
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp5702 View Post
Would second this, although prefer the 111 in my case. They lost me with the cost cutting on the newer entry level models. Snap case backs, spring bars, etc.

Love OG PAM but it’s a brand that continues to stray from its DNA.
So you’re saying that the newer models are not as well made? For instance, I owned a Rolex Submariner from the early 2000s and that watch, from the bezel and all, was not as well made as the no-date Sub I just examined at an AD.

I will visit a Panerai boutique this weekend as I have not handled a new Panerai for over a decade. But it seems to me that the new logo base should be of higher quality than the 000 that I bought 15 years ago.
Old 19 May 2023, 04:45 PM   #6
Pam1086
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen331 View Post
So you’re saying that the newer models are not as well made? For instance, I owned a Rolex Submariner from the early 2000s and that watch, from the bezel and all, was not as well made as the no-date Sub I just examined at an AD.

I will visit a Panerai boutique this weekend as I have not handled a new Panerai for over a decade. But it seems to me that the new logo base should be of higher quality than the 000 that I bought 15 years ago.
Only downgrade 000 vs 1086 is WR, 30at (screw caseback) vs 10at (bayonet case back, not a snap back. For istance omega naiad lock is a bayonet). Pam test for +25% above declared.

Besides that 1086 has 8y pam guard warranty, and p6000 with declared 72 pw but in pratice 92h. Also it has much slimer case.
Pam1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2023, 08:34 PM   #7
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
I say this as well......and ditch the girlfriend who made you sell your watches!
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2023, 02:30 AM   #8
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
I say this as well......and ditch the girlfriend who made you sell your watches!
Old 20 May 2023, 04:56 AM   #9
Brazen331
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
I did get rid of her. To tell you the truth, the 1342 has caught my eye as well. But unfortunately, it looks like I am in the sane situation as Rolex with this model, no boutiques seem to have it. I guess you have to go grey market or second hand with this one?
Old 20 May 2023, 01:58 PM   #10
John Deaux
"TRF" Member

Sorry, I couldn't get past my girlfriend made me sell my watches.

I tried to get a 1342 via Panerai online and never got a callback. I reached out to the boutique in Bal Harbour Miami (as a first time customer) and was treated like gold! They found one and overnighted it to me in less than two days.
John Deaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 03:29 AM   #11
Brazen331
"TRF" Member

Actually…

I think I’m leaning towards a 914 or 915 now. The major reason why I would prefer a 1086 over a 000 is to develop a relationship with my local boutique in case the company ever produces something I really want.

And I’m thinking of the current lineup the 914/5 probably provides the best value. $1,500 more for a sandwich, better case, and better movement seems like you get much more bang for the buck.
Old 30 June 2023, 12:52 PM   #12
Unitedplay
"TRF" Member

PAM 111 in my opinion. It holds value better PAM 000 from the investment return point of view too.
Unitedplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 02:09 PM   #13
JonathanTi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen331 View Post
My girlfriend made me sell my watches years ago but want to get back into the game and I am currently on a waitlist for a Rolex Sub. While I wait I am considering a Panerai.

I have owned a 000, 113, 25, 183 and 190 in the past. Still really wish I had 3 of the 5, bet you can get which ones.

My question is would it be stupid to buy the 1086 from a boutique or Grey market over getting the 000 used? I loved my zero but I also want all scratches and scuffs on my watch to be my own, not a huge deal but a consideration.

Has Panerai made any improvements to the base model over the years? Which technically is the better watch right now? I bought my 000 for 3,000 brand new and it looks to have gone up in value. Does the same potential exist for the 1086 or will the new models never compete with the early 2000 output?

Just a few questions I have since I am just getting back into the game. Would really appreciate some illumination from knowledgeable Paneristi.
Thanks

i know this thread is almost a year old but i didn't see anyone reply to you. and also i bought the exact model in your question.

I personally bought my PAM 1086 at the boutique and made all my scratches on it and i love it. i take it kayaking, swimming, camping - it's meant to be used!

I know there's a school of thought that prefers the older PAMs using the older Unitas movement because it can be serviced by almost any watchmaker rather than panerai only. There's some value in that but for me personally, i like the idea of if you're buying a luxury watch, go ahead and indulge in an in house movement. i feel like it adds more value and exclusivity. There's a million watches using the Unitas movement and for me personally, it always felt weird that Panerai also used it.

The P.6000 in house movement has a much longer power reserve (officially 3 days but mine gets 92 hours or close to 4 days) than the Unitas one so for me that's a huge plus.

I have found Paneristi are quite divided and almost overzealous. some insist it MUST be 300m, must have sandwich dial as if that's the only acceptable choice. I have swam in my bloody 100m WR rated PAM 1086 and had zero issues. 100m is more than good enough.
And i personally can't stand the sandwich dial because at certain angles it's hard to the read the cut out stenciled numbers. That's my own personal preference.

So honestly, wear what you want and don't worry what others say.
JonathanTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 04:13 PM   #14
dubins930
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If the 1086 was 300m I would buy it tomorrow… but I honestly don’t know why it bothers me so much. I think the 112 was the pinnacle of the base model references. If they would put regular lume in the 914 it would be my favorite model to date…. Please Panerai
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 05:11 AM   #15
Avs Fan
"TRF" Member

For me, the Logo Base 000 is the best watch Panerai have made. My daughter now wears my H series 000, but I'm actively looking to acquire another!
Avs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 02:44 PM   #16
Mastergreenhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Starbucks
Hope you didn’t get married to this gal. �� but I say get the watch you want the most.