The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 28 January 2023, 07:01 PM   #1
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Need some help... 1815 chronograph or Cornes de Vache

As per the title I'm considering adding either a 1815 chronograph or Cornes de Vache but having a hard time deciding (I know I know, first world problems).

I seem to have a thing for chronographs. The Datograph was always my dream/inspiration growing up, and a decade or two ago it was my computer wallpaper and what I always thought would be my "if I ever win the lottery" watch. Fast forward to present day and after trying it on a few times I just could not get used to the size and the uneven levels of the date windows really annoyed me. That brought me to the 1815 chronograph. No date window, thinner, and same amazing view from behind. Unfortunately I have not been able to see one in person.

The Cornes de Vache to me is a prettier and slightly dressier watch. The Lemania based movement is different but also wonderful to look at. The lugs are beautiful and amazing. There are no numerals on the dial so the 9 and 3 isn't randomly cut off like on the Lange. I'm looking at the steel version vs. the white gold on the Lange (I don't like coloured gold). I don't have a preference either way but I'm assuming the CdV will be significantly cheaper. I was able to try it on at the boutique a while ago and loved it.

The last issue is buy new or used? I'm not sure what the price of the 1815 is now at retail as it doesn't show on the Lange website. The CdV after factoring in taxes seems to be just a few thousand less than retail. Other than C24 I'm not really too sure where to look for grey market pricing. Is there a wait list now for either of these?

Happy to hear any thoughts or suggestions, perhaps something I might not have considered. This would be my first watch from either brand. Thanks!
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 07:18 PM   #2
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
This is a great thread with 2 irresistible options.

Both choices are so good I can imagine adding them to my collection. Agree with you the Datograph is not for everyone due to the size and the 1815 chrono is such a nice alternative to land on. The CdV is a watch I have my eyes on since its release as I really like those horn lugs. Along with the beautifully finished lemania movement, I find the CdV extremely sexy. The 1815 chrono has a lovely dial aesthetics and also a beautiful movement too. This is a very tough choice and to be honest, I can't choose between them. Both are winners.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 07:45 PM   #3
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

I’d pick the Lange any day on this one. Can’t compare the detailing on the back.
gliazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 09:12 PM   #4
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

cascavel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 09:51 PM   #5
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 10:46 PM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I am a fan of both brands.

The Lange only comes in gold while the Vacheron is available in steel.

Not sure which way you were thinking as well as what is available.

Personally I have never seen either in person so I would have to defer to seeing them on my wrist. Either way both are very fine watches.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 10:58 PM   #7
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
CDV for me the dial side will always trump the movement side. You have to acknowledge the Lange movement is miles ahead but I don’t care as I feel the rest of the CDV is miles ahead from dial to case to hands. I also prefer SS to white gold all day.

Personally I’m biased as I too like chronos and have considered both many times and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been a yes away from adding the CDV steel.
Old 28 January 2023, 11:06 PM   #8
YnotWatch
"TRF" Member

Hard to beat the VC brand history, and I like the historical link that the Lemania base brings to the table. I have the 1141 QP, which is far closer to the base Lemania than the 1142 you will get in the stainless CdV, which is considered “in house” and has the Geneva seal.

Also, love the 1815, but have not ever been able to get myself to pull the trigger on ALS for some reason.

All of which is to say, between two great watches, I lean CdV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YnotWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 11:35 PM   #9
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I like both a lot but would go CdV because my respect for VC > than that of ALS.

Fwiw I’d also consider a used 5170J.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 11:57 PM   #10
Cayenne06
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: VC Overseas DT
I once owned a WG 1815. To me the back of the watch was more interesting than the dial, and I don’t wear my timepieces upside down. I could never accept the cutoff numbers or the off-centered sub dials. The CdeV is on my grail list, but since I already own a Daytona and an Overseas DT I can’t seem to justify $40k for what would be another chrono and another Vacheron. Now to answer your question, the Vacheron without a doubt.
Cayenne06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 12:31 AM   #11
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
1815 chronograph
Old 29 January 2023, 12:47 AM   #12
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
VC is more sleek, Lange's movement though is unparalleled by any other chrono movement.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 12:53 AM   #13
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

I think the wg 1815 trade above retail. RG is still around retail. The better looking movement, flyback, and instant jump make the decision a no brainer to me.
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 01:02 AM   #14
llngoc
"TRF" Member

I wrote a long reply and failed to post. So I will do a short one now.

Compared to your 5172, CDV is a tad dressier and have more vintage look. The Lange chronographs are technically superb to both 5172 and CDV but does not give a warm/organic feel. I have considered all four chronographs and ended up with 5172 and CDV since I want something more organic.

If I had access to the boutique edition 1815, it may have swayed me away from the CDV.

One additional point for the CDV, it size and case shape is very good for smaller wrist so this is a good watch to share with the wife. I did and now I created a watch monster. ;-) So if you don’t want to spend 2x on watches, you may want to avoid sharing.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 01:09 AM   #15
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Well - the USA president of Vacheron wears a CDV.

It’s a stunning piece but a little small for me

The 1815 is wonderful too but if the size works I’d prolly go CDV in this instance. That said both are fantastic
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 01:10 AM   #16
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenne06 View Post
I once owned a WG 1815. To me the back of the watch was more interesting than the dial, and I don’t wear my timepieces upside down. I could never accept the cutoff numbers or the off-centered sub dials. The CdeV is on my grail list, but since I already own a Daytona and an Overseas DT I can’t seem to justify $40k for what would be another chrono and another Vacheron. Now to answer your question, the Vacheron without a doubt.
You should pull the trigger on the CDV. A manual chronograph with a column wheel is a joy to operate and look at. Even my $500 Studio Underd0g feels superior than my Daytonas.
Old 29 January 2023, 01:13 AM   #17
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post

Both choices are so good I can imagine adding them to my collection. Agree with you the Datograph is not for everyone due to the size and the 1815 chrono is such a nice alternative to land on. The CdV is a watch I have my eyes on since its release as I really like those horn lugs. Along with the beautifully finished lemania movement, I find the CdV extremely sexy. The 1815 chrono has a lovely dial aesthetics and also a beautiful movement too. This is a very tough choice and to be honest, I can't choose between them. Both are winners.
Lange should reissue the original Pt Datograph in 39mm. I would pick that up in a heartbeat. It was my dream watch for 20+ years and they discontinued it after I can finally afford it.
Old 29 January 2023, 01:33 AM   #18
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenne06 View Post

Curious but do you like FPJ?
Old 29 January 2023, 01:47 AM   #19
JettyOne
"TRF" Member

For me, it will have to be Datograph, as a one-and-done chrono.
Yes it has its quirks, it’s also the most unique and interesting visually. Every other chrono in the market are nearly indistinguishable from one another.

Dato is Dato.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 04:07 AM   #20
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post

It's a good problem to have... I really wish I could just buy both. Maybe eventually I will be able to own a watch from each brand but at the moment I need to just choose one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

The Lange only comes in gold while the Vacheron is available in steel.

Not sure which way you were thinking as well as what is available.
I'm looking at the Lange in WG and the VC in steel and don't really have a preference towards either. I don't like rose gold or gold watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
CDV for me the dial side will always trump the movement side. You have to acknowledge the Lange movement is miles ahead but I don’t care as I feel the rest of the CDV is miles ahead from dial to case to hands. I also prefer SS to white gold all day.

Personally I’m biased as I too like chronos and have considered both many times and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been a yes away from adding the CDV steel.
That's a good point, not sure how much time I would spend staring at the movement side even though I agree the Lange has much more to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
Fwiw I’d also consider a used 5170J.
I already have a 5172G so I think that would be a bit too similar for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I wrote a long reply and failed to post. So I will do a short one now.

Compared to your 5172, CDV is a tad dressier and have more vintage look. The Lange chronographs are technically superb to both 5172 and CDV but does not give a warm/organic feel. I have considered all four chronographs and ended up with 5172 and CDV since I want something more organic.

If I had access to the boutique edition 1815, it may have swayed me away from the CDV.

One additional point for the CDV, it size and case shape is very good for smaller wrist so this is a good watch to share with the wife. I did and now I created a watch monster. ;-) So if you don’t want to spend 2x on watches, you may want to avoid sharing.
That would be funny if I ended up copying you and got the CdV

I actually prefer the black version over the boutique white on the dial side. As for being able to share with the wife I think that would be a plus point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
Well - the USA president of Vacheron wears a CDV.

It’s a stunning piece but a little small for me

The 1815 is wonderful too but if the size works I’d prolly go CDV in this instance. That said both are fantastic
My wrists are about 19cm and I thought the CdV fit pretty well when I tried it on. That said it would be my smallest watch. It's been a little while though, maybe I need to try them on back to back but I'm not hopeful the Lange boutique will have a 1815 chrono in stock to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettyOne View Post
For me, it will have to be Datograph, as a one-and-done chrono.
Yes it has its quirks, it’s also the most unique and interesting visually. Every other chrono in the market are nearly indistinguishable from one another.

Dato is Dato.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dato really was my dream watch growing up, but the size just doesn't work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotWatch View Post
Hard to beat the VC brand history, and I like the historical link that the Lemania base brings to the table. I have the 1141 QP, which is far closer to the base Lemania than the 1142 you will get in the stainless CdV, which is considered “in house” and has the Geneva seal.

Also, love the 1815, but have not ever been able to get myself to pull the trigger on ALS for some reason.

All of which is to say, between two great watches, I lean CdV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, the VC brand history is compelling and I'd love to own something from them.

Thanks everyone for the replies... I probably should have done a poll but just glancing through the thread it feels like 1815 is slightly on top. I think I'm no better off now than when I started
Old 29 January 2023, 04:07 AM   #21
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

1815 chrono is objectively, and subjective better in this case. It's about $70k retail now.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 04:22 AM   #22
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

Regardless of dial I would say I do care how well something is finished and the quality put into it. I’m happy knowing the 1815 chrono is finished like an exquisite jewel even though I don’t see it always. It’s there if you want to see. But it’s like knowing the engine is made by Lamborghini. You don’t see it but it’s too quality.
Regarding the dial though I think it is a beautiful rendition. Cut off numbers is not unusual in the 1815 lineage so this is not a design feature to this watch. Personally the WG versions are killer particularly the black dial. Talk about stealth beauty. The 1815 line generally is a great one.
Old 29 January 2023, 04:46 AM   #23
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
btinl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 04:48 AM   #24
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
1815 cause i own 1
trackingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 05:31 AM   #25
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Not quite apples to apples given there’s at least a 20k price difference between the two. I feel it all depends on what you’re looking for. To me the 1815 is that technically accomplished lamborghini whereas the Vacheron is the charming vintage 911.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 05:41 AM   #26
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Need some help... 1815 chronograph or Cornes de Vache

I did the same trade and will be going with RG Cornes de Vache.

1. The subdials below center look a bit droopy on the Lange and cutting off the numerals is not as nice to look at as perfect symmetry
2. The twinkling facets on the Vacheron indices are fire. I love light play and the Lange doesn't have any.
3. Vaulted barrel hands of the VC are way more special than the pinched alpha found on this Lange down to the entry level Lange.
4. The CdV case is far superior to the Lange with welded and hand filed lugs vs a base case.

Vacheron always uses colors or texture to distinguish time from Chronograph hands. In the 5500V they used brushed Chrono and polished time. In the 5000H they use polished time and blued chrono hands and of course a blue outer track for the tachy to match.

Thread needs a pic.

Steel CdV on my 7.25" wrist.

Old 29 January 2023, 05:48 AM   #27
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
I love both personally for me I’d go with the CdV i think its one of the most beautiful dial side chronos ever and again just me personally that accounts for 98% of my decision. I’ve bought watches before because I loved the movement view and i find myself never even looking at the movement after a few months. So for me any edge the 1815 has there doesn’t add up to much. I know im probably in the minority there though.
Old 29 January 2023, 07:01 AM   #28
Cayenne06
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: VC Overseas DT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliazzurri View Post
Curious but do you like FPJ?
WAY out of my budget. At my age (and the fact I’m retired) I’m starting to move purchasing decisions from “Want” to “Need”. Still have some fun money in the budget, but won’t add more timepieces to the collection unless I sell/trade an existing piece, and I have an annual limit on what I’ll spend out of pocket. Math doesn’t work for an FPJ.
Cayenne06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 07:05 AM   #29
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
If I had the money, I'd go CdV. The lugs are totally different than just about anything else you see on the market.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 09:35 AM   #30
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
1815 chrono is objectively, and subjective better in this case. It's about $70k retail now.
Thanks, I assume that's USD... so probably around $100K in Singapore. I wonder if there will be another price increase by the time I can get one

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliazzurri View Post
Regardless of dial I would say I do care how well something is finished and the quality put into it. I’m happy knowing the 1815 chrono is finished like an exquisite jewel even though I don’t see it always. It’s there if you want to see. But it’s like knowing the engine is made by Lamborghini. You don’t see it but it’s too quality.
Regarding the dial though I think it is a beautiful rendition. Cut off numbers is not unusual in the 1815 lineage so this is not a design feature to this watch. Personally the WG versions are killer particularly the black dial. Talk about stealth beauty. The 1815 line generally is a great one.
Yup I don't think you can go wrong either way, the Lange movement is really a work of art and something you can stare at all day long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
Not quite apples to apples given there’s at least a 20k price difference between the two. I feel it all depends on what you’re looking for. To me the 1815 is that technically accomplished lamborghini whereas the Vacheron is the charming vintage 911.
But I like both I think for me it just comes down to I want to add one of them I just can't decide which one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
I did the same trade and will be going with RG Cornes de Vache.

1. The subdials below center look a bit droopy on the Lange and cutting off the numerals is not as nice to look at as perfect symmetry
2. The twinkling facets on the Vacheron indices are fire. I love light play and the Lange doesn't have any.
3. Vaulted barrel hands of the VC are way more special than the pinched alpha found on this Lange down to the entry level Lange.
4. The CdV case is far superior to the Lange with welded and hand filed lugs vs a base case.

Vacheron always uses colors or texture to distinguish time from Chronograph hands. In the 5500V they used brushed Chrono and polished time. In the 5000H they use polished time and blued chrono hands and of course a blue outer track for the tachy to match.

Thread needs a pic.

Steel CdV on my 7.25" wrist.
You make some good points and beautiful pics. I think maybe to put it simply the movement on the Lange is better but the dial and case on the CdV is nicer to look at. Is there any way to combine them? I do really love the blued chrono hand on the CdV, I wish the 1815 WG version had blued hands as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilLynott View Post
I love both personally for me I’d go with the CdV i think its one of the most beautiful dial side chronos ever and again just me personally that accounts for 98% of my decision. I’ve bought watches before because I loved the movement view and i find myself never even looking at the movement after a few months. So for me any edge the 1815 has there doesn’t add up to much. I know im probably in the minority there though.
That's true, I do love looking at the movement in my 5172 once in a while but it really isn't that often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
If I had the money, I'd go CdV. The lugs are totally different than just about anything else you see on the market.
Agreed that the lugs are a huge part of the charm.