The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 November 2019, 03:40 PM   #1
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Visiting Tokyo, any suggestion?

I will be visiting Tokyo in a week and definitely will check out some Seiko. Any recommendation on Japanese only edition that I should check out? Definitely want to bring a special one home
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 09:07 PM   #2
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Ginza district

Grand Seiko boutique, Prospex Boutique, Seiko museum on same street, as I recall.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 07:27 PM   #3
Compo
"TRF" Member

The Ginza "Seiko Museum" is a small off-shoot of the main museum in Sumida City - its really worth a trip out there although you do need to reserve a visit slot online before you go. Its free!

Bic Camera stores and the watch sections of the department stores are good for more mainstream Seiko models.

The Wako Seiko section has a great range of GS and Credors (I was there yesterday) Eichi II in both platinum and gold, the new Godzilla and all the other recent Ginza LE's. Snowflake too. All the Save the Ocean Great White range.
Compo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 10:00 PM   #4
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Grand Seiko boutique, Prospex Boutique, Seiko museum on same street, as I recall.
Don’t forget Wako!
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 08:11 AM   #5
doesnotticktock
Banned

Watch: SBGW041
Excited to see what you bring back! :)
doesnotticktock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 08:25 AM   #6
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

I'm hoping to get a Japanese only edition that's wearable on my wrist. We'll see
Old 25 November 2019, 11:03 PM   #7
Compo
"TRF" Member

For current models the best selection I found this week was at the massive Biqlo combined Bic Camera and Uniqlo store in Shinjuku. Lots of models have 20% off, then they'll give you the 10% tax back and take off another 5% if you pay with a credit card.

For example they have the new monster SRPD33 and 35 that are JDM (SRPD25 and 27 in other markets).

There's a monster version of the Save the Ocean Great White coming in Jan 2020 (SRPD45) which looks fantastic.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Old 27 November 2019, 03:36 PM   #8
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compo View Post
For current models the best selection I found this week was at the massive Biqlo combined Bic Camera and Uniqlo store in Shinjuku. Lots of models have 20% off, then they'll give you the 10% tax back and take off another 5% if you pay with a credit card.

For example they have the new monster SRPD33 and 35 that are JDM (SRPD25 and 27 in other markets).

There's a monster version of the Save the Ocean Great White coming in Jan 2020 (SRPD45) which looks fantastic.

Yes I'm actually there now. Even some Grand Seiko models are 20%+10%+5% off like you said. I don't think I can find anywhere with a deeper discount
Old 27 November 2019, 04:06 PM   #9
Randy63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Icon1

Stop by Wako in Ginza. They have this limited edition Presage there.

https://www.seikowatches.com/jp-ja/p...resage/sarw051

It's a limited edition of 300 that will only be sold at that store. I checked one out when I was there recently. It's very nice.

Randy
Randy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2019, 08:15 PM   #10
Hipster Doofus
"TRF" Member

JDM Seiko really needs its own thread because there are so many releases each year and nobody in Japan seems that concerned with broadcasting the information.
Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2019, 08:22 PM   #11
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
Yes I'm actually there now. Even some Grand Seiko models are 20%+10%+5% off like you said. I don't think I can find anywhere with a deeper discount
Is that all Bic Camera stores, or just the Biqlo? I’m more interested in vintage this time but there are one or two GS references I wouldn’t mind seeing in the flesh...
Old 27 November 2019, 09:26 PM   #12
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Is that all Bic Camera stores, or just the Biqlo? I’m more interested in vintage this time but there are one or two GS references I wouldn’t mind seeing in the flesh...
Yes. Also yodobashi camera in akhibahara
Old 27 November 2019, 09:35 PM   #13
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Bic Camera is always my first stop in any Japanese city. Will be doing the rounds in Osaka this weekend.
Old 28 November 2019, 02:16 PM   #14
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy63 View Post
Stop by Wako in Ginza. They have this limited edition Presage there.

https://www.seikowatches.com/jp-ja/p...resage/sarw051

It's a limited edition of 300 that will only be sold at that store. I checked one out when I was there recently. It's very nice.

Randy
Saw this in flesh today. 3 of them available in Ginza at least. Good looking but few pieces are more interesting to me.
Old 30 November 2019, 02:47 AM   #15
Compo
"TRF" Member

I compared prices between Yodobashi in Akihabara and Bicqlo - they both had really good stock, but pricing a little better at Bic. The Seiko boutique in Haneda was also well stocked but obviously all pricing at list.

Old 30 November 2019, 03:39 AM   #16
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

I became very enamoured of the SBGA285, surprisingly, when I tried it on in London.

It struck me as an awesome no-nonsense tool watch - at 39mm it was perfectly sized, the dial was plain matt black but that just let the polishing of the indexes and hands pop even more and provide greater contrast - and it's a Spring Drive. I'm planning to see whether they're available at Bic or Yodobashi, and what kind of discount I can expect.
Old 30 November 2019, 04:53 AM   #17
Compo
"TRF" Member

I cant be certain but I'm pretty sure both Yodobashi and Bicqlo had that in stock. I was tempted by the ice blue SBGA407 that I looked at in the Wako boutique - but couldnt find at a discount in the other stores.
Old 30 November 2019, 05:29 AM   #18
Compo
"TRF" Member

I cant be certain but I'm pretty sure both Yodobashi and Bicqlo had that in stock. I was tempted by the ice blue SBGA407 that I looked at in the Wako boutique - but couldnt find at a discount in the other stores.
Old 30 November 2019, 10:20 PM   #19
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Big Camera is a big winner. Got my first limited tuna for over 40% off. Amazing deal
Old 1 December 2019, 08:53 AM   #20
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compo View Post
There are quite a few models that look the same, but only one that's 39mm. Bic Camera in Ginza is always my first port of call whenever I'm in Tokyo, so I'll be sure to check...
Old 1 December 2019, 02:52 PM   #21
Hosum
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SBGA387
When folks buy from Bic Camera, do you typically ask the sales associate for a discount on top of already advertised discounts?
Hosum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 03:52 PM   #22
Compo
"TRF" Member

i've never asked at Bic or Yodobashi - I've aways assumed that the "no-haggle" Japanese cutural practice is the norm in these big stores like it is in most other places. They sold me a $525 watch for $380 or so after the published discounts - I think you probably would make your saleperson feel pretty embrassed if you then asked for more. They gave me a Seiko branded towel though!
Old 1 December 2019, 03:58 PM   #23
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Forgot to mention, I got 2 stainless steel spoons made in Japan as a gift for my purchase. Never expect to get something this practical for purchasing a watch!
Old 1 December 2019, 08:21 PM   #24
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosum View Post
When folks buy from Bic Camera, do you typically ask the sales associate for a discount on top of already advertised discounts?
They usually have the tax off, plus an extra discount if you pay by credit card, so the actual amount you pay is quite substantially less than their sticker.

You can ask for a further discount; you won’t get one.