The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 13 July 2019, 10:39 AM   #1
axnjackson
"TRF" Member

7 months in....am I killing this thing?

I've worn my 214270 every day for 7 months and the thing has never stopped. Am I grossly abusing the watch by doing this? Killing it prematurely? I figure Rolex has always had the philosophy that their watches could and should be daily drivers thus they are designed and built to realize such goals. Am I wrong in this thinking? I want to keep wearing this tool for the next 9 years or so before I send it off to Rolliworks for a tuneup, tire rotation, and lube job. I'd hate to find out the thing is on the verge of throwing a rod or the oil pump is failing (I can't remember movement part names, so stay with me here) well ahead of time due to nonstop motion and friction. Need I worry or do I just keep enjoying this beauty and in due time send it off for service? Or do I give it an occasional rest to let the lubricants settle in or whatever molecular level thing they do? I'm sure this has come up several dozen times over the years but I have done some searches to no avail. So thanks in advance to those who are not too bothered to regurgitate a response.
axnjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 10:43 AM   #2
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Wear it. Either at the service interval it when it stops holding time, have it serviced.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 11:09 AM   #3
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
It will just keep on ticking Jackson.

Enjoy wearing it.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 11:18 AM   #4
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
You could easily go 7 years with a daily like that. Then send it in for service and go 7 more years.
Old 13 July 2019, 11:26 AM   #5
theloxmyth
Banned

Wear it out, I dare ya to try!

theloxmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 06:20 PM   #6
DUNKS
"TRF" Member

Years ago I had a daily wind oyster. I think it was an air king.
Never off my wrist "literally" for 26 years. Never serviced. It kept reasonable time. scrapped it in the end when the screw down stub wore out and at that time I could not afford the repairs.

WEAR IT.
DUNKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 12:28 AM   #7
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
Wear it. I think in next 5-7 years you will buy an another Rolex so your Exp will rest a little
Old 14 July 2019, 02:42 AM   #8
desmo
Banned

Watch: 5711r 5980r
Will be ticking long after we’re gone lol
desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 02:58 AM   #9
goldfixer21
2024 Pledge Member

Wear it, enjoy it, let it stretch it's legs and run
goldfixer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 07:43 AM   #10
axnjackson
"TRF" Member

Going to let her run until she stumbles. Then some new shoes and off she goes again.
Thanks, folks!
Old 14 July 2019, 04:42 PM   #11
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Recently returned to my original Sub as my daily. From purchase in 1995 - 2006 it was my daily 24/7. Never been serviced.

Put Sub away 2006 when i bought an SD which was my daily from 2006 to 2019. Never serviced either.

I do plan on having Sub at least pressure checked and maybe serviced later in the year.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 10:38 AM   #12
SeeDweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5212 (blasphemy!)
Oh, hell! Wearing it and using it and enjoying it and "trying to" wear it down, . . . well, that's what Rolex is all about!

Funny, I have a couple of Breguet's as well (a Transatlantique and an older serpentine hand Classique). The "fancier" Classique stopped running a year or so ago - even though it's been on a winder, like a dozen of my pieces are. When I took it in to the little Breguet "Service Center" in San Francisco (NOT the company, G-d forbid!!), he told me it was "overwound", which means that something knocked the gear off the end of the something or other. (Sorry to those of you who know what it actually means, but apparently it did NOT imply that I had "over-wound" the crown!)
Anyway, he looks at me and tells me that "You have to be little careful with an old Breguet . . . You can't just bang these around like a Rolex, after all. A Rolex is like a TANK!"

The story makes me smile while I wear my GMT's or older Subs. And thus, you most definitely can wear it, and enjoy each and every time you're riding and look down at your handlebars, my friend.

Have fun at Tahoe!
'21 116506 (Daytona, Blue dial)..|..... '22 116508 (Daytona, Green dial)
'21 126619LB (Submariner, Blue) ...|... '20 126710-BLNR (GMT-II, Batgirl)

.... and still trying to scratch that itch!.....
SeeDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 06:06 AM   #13
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT
I've been wearing my 1675 GMT daily for 52 years. Apart from when it has been in for servicing (every 7-8 years) it has been run continuously - being an automatic it literally never stops. Still keeps near perfect time. Just keep using your watch and don't even think about it . . . . .

Stan.
StanGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 11:33 AM   #14
axnjackson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGMT View Post
I've been wearing my 1675 GMT daily for 52 years. Apart from when it has been in for servicing (every 7-8 years) it has been run continuously - being an automatic it literally never stops. Still keeps near perfect time. Just keep using your watch and don't even think about it . . . . .

Stan.
Amazing, Stan. I'll have to snoop around the forum looking for a pic of that beauty. It's got your story written to it and it continues on with its own story to tell.
Old 20 July 2019, 06:15 AM   #15
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axnjackson View Post
I've worn my 214270 every day for 7 months and the thing has never stopped. Am I grossly abusing the watch by doing this? Killing it prematurely? I figure Rolex has always had the philosophy that their watches could and should be daily drivers thus they are designed and built to realize such goals. Am I wrong in this thinking? I want to keep wearing this tool for the next 9 years or so before I send it off to Rolliworks for a tuneup, tire rotation, and lube job. I'd hate to find out the thing is on the verge of throwing a rod or the oil pump is failing (I can't remember movement part names, so stay with me here) well ahead of time due to nonstop motion and friction. Need I worry or do I just keep enjoying this beauty and in due time send it off for service? Or do I give it an occasional rest to let the lubricants settle in or whatever molecular level thing they do? I'm sure this has come up several dozen times over the years but I have done some searches to no avail. So thanks in advance to those who are not too bothered to regurgitate a response.
Very similar story here, but I've got you by a couple of months. Had my 214270 since last October and it's been on my wrist and ticking every single day since. Started out about 1.5 secs a day fast, now I'm about 1.0 secs slow. Picked up a fair number of "love marks" along the way. Many, many more to come.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 12:01 PM   #16
axnjackson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
Very similar story here, but I've got you by a couple of months. Had my 214270 since last October and it's been on my wrist and ticking every single day since. Started out about 1.5 secs a day fast, now I'm about 1.0 secs slow. Picked up a fair number of "love marks" along the way. Many, many more to come.
I figured I'd measure mine again at the 1-year mark. As far as I can tell, it gains about 2 minutes a month. Once I start showing up a tad too early for meetings I pull the crown and start it again when it matches iPhone time.
I have a few beauty marks on mine and they look great. The watch is measuring time and writing history-all without a battery or a video screen. It's a marvel.
Cheers to yours as well. These things are just the best.
Old 1 August 2019, 03:09 PM   #17
crown&badger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I figured I'd measure mine again at the 1-year mark. As far as I can tell, it gains about 2 minutes a month. Once I start showing up a tad too early for meetings I pull the crown and start it again when it matches iPhone time.
I have a few beauty marks on mine and they look great. The watch is measuring time and writing history-all without a battery or a video screen. It's a marvel.
Cheers to yours as well. These things are just the best.

So, roughly +4 spd. Did you try leaving it crown up or down at night while you are sleeping?
crown&badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2019, 04:43 AM   #18
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Facetious.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2019, 02:19 AM   #19
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
This is the reason I always wanted a Rolex. They just work.

They also look incredible. The combination of good looks and virtual indestructibility is what drew me to them.

I wear my DJ41 every day for 18 hours. It's aaaaaaallll good.
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2019, 08:09 AM   #20
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
It’s like a hog’s nose,you can’t wear it out.
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 05:56 PM   #21
ud101
Banned

Rolex actually designed there watch to serve such purpose.
ud101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 03:46 AM   #22
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

I understand alternating wrists will double the wear.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote