The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 December 2023, 10:28 PM   #1
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Icon20 When will second hand Rolex dealers get desperate?

Rolex prices have come down off their highs, but still way way above pre covid prices.

Dealers with physical stores in the jewelry districts around the country are dead with very little traffic. Moda has fewer and fewer reference checks for potential deals. Online dealers don't want to buy stock, and if they do the offers are laughable. Yet prices are staying firm.

DavidSW prices are extremely high. Takuya, SohAIS and the rest are keeping their prices high too. I don't see any deals in a market that has screeched to a halt.

I don't think we are going to see below retail pricing, but certainly pre covid pricing or near that is in the cards. What is it going to take for prices to reflect this slow watch market?
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2023, 10:33 PM   #2
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Why do you think the market is slow?
If I were to judge just by the incoming threads here, I’d say the market is still smoking and people are still buying from Trusted Sellers at over retail prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 December 2023, 10:53 PM   #3
soldes
"TRF" Member

The fact that the Grey dealers are not paying premiums for sought after models, and offering laughable dollars to buy, says to me that they are not moving as much pieces as when the market was high (I know, tell us something we don't know!). A better way to get an accurate assessment would be to dig into their sales receipts; but of course, they wont give us that info.

They have made business adjustments with their buying, but DO NOT want to compromise their bottom line by showing dramatic price decreases, even though some of them are getting a reality check, if they bought high at the frenzy.

To me, January and February will shed a brighter light on their willingness to go downward in price, in order to move their stock; since they are probably waiting for a Rolex price increase, to justify the unrealistic asking numbers of what they have for sale.
My guess? They going to have to adjust downwards after the holidays, in order to move what they have.
soldes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2023, 10:53 PM   #4
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

I don’t think it’s something which will happen suddenly.

Here in the UK there’s only a few models which you can take to a reseller and make a profit, which should lead to less people flipping and more availability for those who want models directly from the AD. You can sell privately which may make a better return but this obviously comes with an increased risk.

Economy isn’t great either, so there’ll be a slow down in demand from AD & greys which might help availability and see grey prices reduce.

It’s possible that some inventory was acquired at higher rates which is why secondary prices remain high. Another theory is that once prices start to fall, there’s no going back up so dealers holding out for as long as possible.

Regardless, if there’s a model you’re interested now would be a good time to speak with your AD. Depending on the model, going grey might be a good idea to save the wait, as some models are now quite close to MSRP.
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2023, 10:54 PM   #5
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I think large greys are doing ok
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2023, 11:11 PM   #6
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Never, lots of ‘grey’ sellers are already in the business many years before the hype and are financially very healthy.
Old 22 December 2023, 11:25 PM   #7
Redfoot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos FXD!!!
I think the big greys are financially healthy enough to weather a significant downturn- the past 3 years have been extraordinary for them. I also feel they have loyal high net worth customers who prefer to purchase what they want, when they want it and like the concierge service- especially on PP, AP, RM, Lange, etc.

The smaller greys are the ones that will get desperate first, if they do at all. Especially if they were relying on low interest rates to fund their business. But, I could see them offloading bundles to larger greys to remain liquid, and also allowing both parties to save face and "protect" the market without dropping prices.

It always upsets me to see the watch I want offered BNIB, dated current month, for 30-40% over retail. Same way when I see the grey dealers on Youtube with bins full of Subs, GMT's, etc. Just takes all the joy out of the watches for me.
Redfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2023, 11:44 PM   #8
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Without specific data it is all just speculation based on observation and perspective. Have certain models adjusted downward? Yes, but what are the Trusted Sellers paying for the watches? It is all about margins of what they pay to what they can sell for. I would believe for the large sellers the crazy covid merchandise has long since been moved along and they are buying and selling based on the current market. A continued slowing or market decrease in secondary price will continue into 2024 for some models. You are still not getting a SS Daytona, Pepsi, Batmen or any other super desirable watch for retail or close unless you can get one from an AD. The average speculative customer who wanted to be in an equity position in a watch from the get go has gone away and half of the conversation had is from people who have limited knowledge or experience. My prediction for 2024 is more movement on prices but nothing drastic either way unless a world event[s]dictate otherwise. My speculation based of my 30 plus years in the hobby.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 12:06 AM   #9
Gaussian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
The biggest sign of things catching-up will be when the ADs admit defeat and begin selling their stickered “exhibition” only pieces on a walk-in basis.

Probably going to begin soon rather than later. One of my close friends is a big-shot realtor; when I asked him this week if the inventory is still non-existent, he replied that they need more buyers, not more property, now. He went on to say that the multiple-offer frenzy has evaporated.

Gaussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 12:14 AM   #10
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
The greys I’m guessing have done very well and can possibly ride it out
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 12:18 AM   #11
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Greys expect demand and prices to increase in the future and keeping a watch in inventory isn’t difficult or expensive. It holds up some of their cash flow but isn’t the same as holding onto something that is cumbersome and requires lots of maintenance to keep in stock.

I’ve been following some watch sales for over a year and the price comes down like 1% each month or so and then they often hit a floor where the grey will either not sell it or just trade it to another dealer.

Once greys start selling at big discounts all others will have to follow suit and it would hurt their entire industry so nobody wants to be that guy. That being said. The first grey to go big discount and clear inventory will fare better than the others who follow suit to lower their prices even more to compete. They don’t want to get into a reverse bidding war. So for now it’s just stuck with high inventory and high prices and nobody buying watches 2nd hand.

We’ll see who flinches first or if demand begins increasing again.

I do find it a little frustrating seeing these references not drop to a price I’m comfortable buying at and just sitting in inventory cases or being traded around the dealer networks but oh well it is what it is.

Frankly people should be buying and selling to each other but everyone is so paranoid about getting burned. I personally have almost gotten burned by trying this so it is sketchy out there. But really, individuals should be trading watches amongst each other for reasonable prices rather than relying on sketchy greys who are clinching the bag with diamond hands hoping for another social media bump in demand or something.
Old 23 December 2023, 12:19 AM   #12
TheDogHouse
"TRF" Member

Until these things are sitting available in stores for immediate purchase, you will not see any desperate price drops. The exception being individual dealers who may experience cash flow issues.
TheDogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 12:31 AM   #13
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Supply still remains limited. ADs, from what I hear, still have no stock ready for immediate sale to random walk-ins anywhere in the world. Nothing has really changed except the crazy used prices are not rising like crazy on most of the models. Many folks who follow the used watch market see this as a needed correction with maybe a little more downside to go, but stabilization of the market and then strengthening next year.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 12:49 AM   #14
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Demand still exceeds supply. Track your favorite reference on watchcharts.com and see for yourself. It will take years to undo this situation.

In the meantime, the grey price is merely Market Price. You'll spend more climbing the imaginary ladder at your local AD compared to the grey markup.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 12:50 AM   #15
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

the true answer is no one knows. you still can't get most watches from ADs and now the stock market and a lot of crypto has been going straight up all of november and december. people will have a lot of money to blow at this rate
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 05:29 AM   #16
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Interesting to hear other's perspectives, thank you for chiming in!
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 05:52 AM   #17
Hardtimes
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 118238
Only bad businesses get desperate...
Hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 06:12 AM   #18
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

Brick and mortar used watch dealers (including ADs with used sections) near me are not moving much, if anything. These stores also have an online presence. I have seen the same watches in the showroom for 7 months. One sales person complained about what they had purchased a 5711 and an AP for and how they are underwater on them and still no demand.
Watchman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 06:13 AM   #19
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve noticed a lot of watches being sold through our trusted sellers this last three weeks. If anything, I see it starting to pick up.
Old 23 December 2023, 06:16 AM   #20
Gaussian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman001 View Post
Brick and mortar used watch dealers (including ADs with used sections) near me are not moving much, if anything. These stores also have an online presence. I have seen the same watches in the showroom for 7 months. One sales person complained about what they had purchased a 5711 and an AP for and how they are underwater on them and still no demand.

Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.

Just as true in the watch world as it is elsewhere.

Is it bad that I don’t feel at all sad for the flippers, who were often the ones getting the call, are now the ones feeling the squeeze?

Gaussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 06:36 AM   #21
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
I don't see much of a slow down at my local greys in socal. Still need to make an appointment and while waiting I see watches being purchased in an assembly line process. Only difference is prices have come down.
4reRlxGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 06:38 AM   #22
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
The greys were around before the frenzy, it was just backwards. We used to try on watches at the dealers, and if they didn't play ball with discounts, we could go see how much could be saved going grey and decide if the white glove, champagne and having my name on the card was worth the premium. Sure there were a few exceptions, models that were already hot on resale, but it seemed like "bundling" at that time was the greys taking on a bunch of less desirable TT DJs and such from the ADs at a discount with one or two hot models thrown in that they could make more on and average out an overall profit.

When you can expect most models to LOSE a modest amount of value the moment you walk out of the AD with it on your wrist, the situation would flip. I don't think Rolex or the greys is looking forward to that, so I bet there will be "supply issues" on hot models from here on out. Rolex has always been a safe bet, you knew your watch was not going to be worthless in a few years, but making money by being "allocated" a watch still seems crazy to me.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 06:38 AM   #23
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I just purchased a sub date and my discount did not exceed 5% as an FYI.

Their wasn’t a lot of wiggle room not perceived desperation to unload stock.

Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 06:43 AM   #24
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnam View Post
Why do you think the market is slow?
If I were to judge just by the incoming threads here, I’d say the market is still smoking and people are still buying from Trusted Sellers at over retail prices.

TRF is not a representative sample of watch buyers, not even Rolex buyers.

It seems we are seeing more posts about new purchases, though.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 10:38 AM   #25
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

With short US interest rates over 5% (they were almost zero a year ago), it is expensive to hold inventory. While ADs sell everything they get in, grey that are holding inventory may be feeling the pressure of the costs of holding watches for sale. There may be pressure to sell...

While I have yet to get a call from a Rolex AD for the watches I want, I have gotten calls for PM models that list on Chrono24 for MSRP. Non-hype pieces are languishing...

I have had a lot of luck this year buying non-Rolex preowned watches at much lower prices than offered/listed prices and dealers were quick to acquiesce to any real interest.

FWIW, last month I visited a large/global reseller (AD/grey/preowned dealer) and my rep admitted they really increased inventory during covid and most of their inventory was underwater. It is unclear if they are going to try to ride it out, or they will try to decrease inventory a lower prices.

Interesting times. I just went grey for a watch I was hoping to get from an AD. While it was still at a premium to MSRP, I liked the seller and got a pretty good deal.
Laine V38 SS - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 12:52 PM   #26
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
The only grey's that are going to be getting desperate are those with no business acumen, who got caught up in the hype and thought they could flog daytonas all day for 45K into perpetuity. Those ones are SCREWED and won't survive.

Established greys' that know what they're doing aren't going anywhere. Prices will settle before you know it and be back up 10 -15% from here in quarter two or maybe quarter three of next year.

If you're eyeing a piece, now is the time to do your research and snipe while it's still a buyers' market!

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 01:03 PM   #27
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
I doubt anytime soon. Pretty much an inverse relationship between interest rates and Rolex and a direct relationship with the stock market. Barring another covid level event the economy in the US is in great shape and only on track to do better. Interest rates will come down next year. If you are eyeing something, now is the time to buy. Unless there is some bizarre event or really unpleasant news about the brand (Made by slaves, lubricated with baby seal oil/yada)
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 01:42 PM   #28
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
When will second hand Rolex dealers get desperate?

The amount of similar posts that show up on the forums these days, makes you wonder if it’s not the consumers that’s getting desperate…

In any case… Looking forward to Rolex prices crashing and being able to buy at 30% discount like some of our resident Rolex forum oracles claim. If not. ohh well…
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 02:20 PM   #29
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Takuya offered me 12k for a brand new 2023 Kermit . He has used ones listed for 15-16k. The math isn’t mathing… unless he’s extremely over leveraged on his inventory.

Basically if you buy anything from the used dealers you’re essentially bailing them out of their over leveraged inventory.

Avoid used dealers at all costs for the next few months and they’ll break

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 02:46 PM   #30
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
It's the Holidays, prices will stay high...
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote