The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 14 July 2020, 07:30 PM   #1
5.39×10^−44 s
"TRF" Member

Watch: F.P.Journe Ca.1519
Can anyone verify Jpccarguy ?

Hi,

I'm still new to this site, so I'm not sure if this type of post is proper etiquette. But can we ask if people can vouch for specific accounts, other than official reviews?

Seeing all these posts about "hacked" accounts scamming people has put my on edge. haha
5.39×10^−44 s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 09:41 AM   #2
5.39×10^−44 s
"TRF" Member

As I said, I'm new to this site, so I don't know if this type of update is part of the culture. I would appreaciae some insight, perhaps from the Mods. In terms of how discussing other users works and how accounts are banned.

Update so far, and why I do think people should be cautious working with Jpccarguy. I'll update again if it it ends up changing and my opinion changes. But so far, my interaction with this user is going incredibly suspcious. I've noticed over the last few months that a lot of user accounts, even ones in good standing, seem to be getting "hacked". To be frank, I don't really understand how that can happen unless the user is very negligent in their security practices. Brute force hacking doesn't really happen if you have a remotely strong password set.

I've been emailing this user (at jpccar002@gmail.com). It's not always the case, but it does seem that email handles that have ran a username followed by random numbers tend to be fake. But anyways, I've been contacting this person for several days now in regards to this posting. So first of all, it's a "MINTY" condition unworn Hulk for well under market ($12,800). The listing is a month old and the watch is still available... seems highly unlikely that one priced this low would last even a few days.

Okay, so to the email. I ask where he is, I tend to try and make these types of purchases F2F since I can fly around around a business expense. I noticed his listing states North Carolina, but he said he was in "Mampa". I figured he mispelled "Tampa" and I asked why he's in Florida and not NC. He just keeps saying tha the posted while in NC but is now in "Mampa". Okay, second time he's spelled it as "Mampa", even though I replied to the first one with "Mampa? You mean Tampa, Florida?". I ask him to send some sort of referral or verification that he has the watch with him (time stamped pictures, watch hands on a specific time), since the 3 photos seem generic. He ignores my request and just reitterates that he is currently in "mampa" and that he purchased it in "2019". I ask him for the 2nd time if he can send some sort of proof that he has the watch and for the 3rd time to clarify where he is because I have no idea where a "mampa" is and I can't look up flights or a 3rd party authentication service. He responds again saying "I was in NC when I posted the watch but currently i am in ybor mampa". Well, not it's even more strange. I repsonded saying that one of us must be on crazy pills because I have no idea what "mampa" is or "ybor mampa" and the entirety of Google doesn't have a single response of a city/town it could be and to PLEASE try to explain to me where the heck where "mampa" or "ybor mampa" is. That was 7hrs ago today and he never responded. I'm fairly certain this is a case of this user being compromised, perhaps by someone with subpar English skills, because it should take 3 days and 15 emails back and forth just to find out what city someone is in or to send a single photo of the watch. Whoever it is seems to not know how to pretend they're in Tampa or maybe Miami, or maybe tried to combine the two words. haha
Old 16 July 2020, 10:57 AM   #3
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.39×10^−44 s View Post
As I said, I'm new to this site, so I don't know if this type of update is part of the culture. I would appreaciae some insight, perhaps from the Mods. In terms of how discussing other users works and how accounts are banned.

Update so far, and why I do think people should be cautious working with Jpccarguy. But so far, my interaction with this user is going incredibly suspcious. I've noticed over the last few months that a lot of user accounts, even ones in good standing, seem to be getting "hacked". To be frank, I don't really understand how that can happen unless the user is very negligent in their security practices. Brute force hacking doesn't really happen if you have a remotely strong password set.

I've been emailing this user (at jpccar002@gmail.com). It's not always the case, but it does seem that email handles that have ran a username followed by random numbers tend to be fake. But anyways, I've been contacting this person for several days now in regards to this posting. So first of all, it's a "MINTY" condition unworn Hulk for well under market ($12,800). The listing is a month old and the watch is still available... seems highly unlikely that one priced this low would last even a few days.

Okay, so to the email. I ask where he is, I tend to try and make these types of purchases F2F since I can fly around around a business expense. I noticed his listing states North Carolina, but he said he was in "Mampa". I figured he mispelled "Tampa" and I asked why he's in Florida and not NC. He just keeps saying tha the posted while in NC but is now in "Mampa". Okay, second time he's spelled it as "Mampa", even though I replied to the first one with "Mampa? You mean Tampa, Florida?". I ask him to send some sort of referral or verification that he has the watch with him (time stamped pictures, watch hands on a specific time), since the 3 photos seem generic. He ignores my request and just reitterates that he is currently in "mampa" and that he purchased it in "2019". I ask him for the 2nd time if he can send some sort of proof that he has the watch and for the 3rd time to clarify where he is because I have no idea where a "mampa" is and I can't look up flights or a 3rd party authentication service. He responds again saying "I was in NC when I posted the watch but currently i am in ybor mampa". Well, not it's even more strange. I repsonded saying that one of us must be on crazy pills because I have no idea what "mampa" is or "ybor mampa" and the entirety of Google doesn't have a single response of a city/town it could be and to PLEASE try to explain to me where the heck where "mampa" or "ybor mampa" is. That was 7hrs ago today and he never responded. I'm fairly certain this is a case of this user being compromised, perhaps by someone with subpar English skills, because it should take 3 days and 15 emails back and forth just to find out what city someone is in or to send a single photo of the watch. Whoever it is seems to not know how to pretend they're in Tampa or maybe Miami, or maybe tried to combine the two words. haha
Are you in "Mampa" also?
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 03:55 PM   #4
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
lol. Yea, as soon as comms get weird, just look elsewhere.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 11:03 PM   #5
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

You know what to do. Walk away.

The odds of a legitimate seller having a mint 2019 Hulk for $12800 available for a month are zero.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 06:47 PM   #6
5.39×10^−44 s
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone.

I was about 95% sure the person was a scammer just based on the price, went to 99% once he said it was available after a month, and 110% once he was confused about cities haha.

I'm more perplexed and interested in how there are all these accounts that seem to be in good standing that "suddenly" get hacked and become a scammer, so I figured I'd entertain it and see what the person on the other end say. It just seems so odd. I haven't seen this sort of thing happen anywhere else at this rate other than on IG where almost ever influencer claims to be "hacked" at a some crazy follower count, although I suspect there're more cases of them selling their accounts and starting new rather than incompetence of having their passwords compromised that often.

What really confuses me is that this dude and another guy at first agree to my offer of meeting face-to-face but then suddenly flake, maybe they think I'm bluffing? haha

Also, how do we let the Mods know about a user most likely being a scammer so that they can be banned? Just as a last update, the guy never replied after I called him out for not knowing that he's giving a fake city name and had no ability to send any type of proof that he has the watch. In any case, I ended up finding one for a fairly good price from a local jeweler that I supply diamonds too, so it worked out.
Old 1 June 2021, 09:51 AM   #7
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

I just looked up my name and found this thread.

I was hacked last July, and now use only two factor authentification. I never knew until now that my ID was taken to try to scam someone.

I have had a number of transactions through TRF since then- never a problem, and with good references.

I regret that I did not know about the problem, and I hope all TRF'ers use two factor authentification.

Thanks,

John
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote