The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 March 2020, 12:45 AM   #1
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Intro to Pens?

I've been looking through the threads and find some amazing pens. I've sworn off upgrade pens for many years having gone through Shaeffer, Parker, and Cross during my junior high school and college years. Just this week I received a fairly nice space pen (Bullet) and even went so far as to order another couple of Pens. Curious as to what's recommended for those starting out.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 12:58 AM   #2
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King/Seamaster
My recommendation for a starter pen is always the Lamy Safari. Looks cool, writes brilliantly and inexpensive enough that it's not big deal if you decide you're not a fan.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk
NewEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 01:47 AM   #3
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnthusiast View Post
My recommendation for a starter pen is always the Lamy Safari. Looks cool, writes brilliantly and inexpensive enough that it's not big deal if you decide you're not a fan.

Great, thanks!!! I'll take a look at it!!

Old 30 March 2020, 01:53 AM   #4
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Great, thanks!!! I'll take a look at it!!
Enjoy. Let us know how it goes

Old 30 March 2020, 02:40 AM   #5
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Enjoy. Let us know how it goes

As soon as receive and check it out, I will, for certain!!!

Old 30 March 2020, 08:39 AM   #6
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Many choices out there, but things are not what they were, and many manufacturers are not what they were either (strange you should mention Sheaffer, Parker and Cross) so you’re right to seek advice! But panic not, there are some superb pens to be had if you buy wisely..!

Firstly, what sort of a pen are you looking for? If it’s a ballpoint, roller, etc, then most of what you get will work reasonably well, and I wouldn’t spend too much, as any of these pens are really only a holder for a refill. I can offer advice if required..

If it’s a fountain pen, then that’s a whole different ball game. Even the cheapest can write quite reasonably, but as you get more into them , you notice subtle differences from model to model and generally (provided you avoid ‘designer’ tat, and the crap made for those blessed with money but not taste) you get what you pay for.

The advice to consider a Lamy Safari is good. These are simple fountain pens (well, technically cartridge pens) with steel nibs, but they write nicely and even have something of a cult following. Yes, let us know how you get on!

Personally, the Safari always feels like a school pen to me. I’d consider something like a Pilot MR / Metropolitan. They’re a bit more solid, and the styling is a bit more mature, but they write well and they’re in the same league price wise. Another alternative would be a Pilot Prera. Also inexpensive but fairly faultless.

Going up from there, it all depends on your tastes. If you like the traditional, a Pelikan 200 is traditionally styled and is a proper piston filler, but keeps costs down with a steel nib. A Sailor 1911 is another good reliable choice that’s ‘next level’ too.
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 03:02 PM   #7
javert34
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 & 14000M
I agree with Dave455, the Pilot Metropolitan is a great choice. They are inexpensive, but write very well. I’ve owned a few of them and have given them away as gifts. I do like the Lamy Safari and have had those as well.

If you want to step up from there, you can get a Pelikan M200 for just over $100 or so. No small sum, but Pelikans are the most reliable, best writing pens in my collection. If taken care of it is something you can have for a long time and pass along.
Old 1 April 2020, 03:59 AM   #8
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Twsbi eco would be my recommendation.

Great piston filler for an unbeatable price.
Arcticsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 09:46 AM   #9
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Well I've got several coming in. Thanks for the recommendations; I'll show what I got when I get them!!!

Old 1 April 2020, 07:05 PM   #10
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Well, here's one I was able to find which I purchased. We'll see when it get's here from Japan. I believe it's a Montblanc 220 or 221. It can be returned.

Old 1 April 2020, 11:13 PM   #11
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, here's one I was able to find which I purchased. We'll see when it get's here from Japan. I believe it's a Montblanc 220 or 221. It can be returned.
That looks like a 221 to me.

Probably some age to it. I remember the Montblanc range from the early 80’s, and I’m pretty certain it was discontinued about then. I think I saw the last few available new.

It’s probably not what I would have recommended for you, but seems to be in good shape! Nice find!

Keep us updated!
Old 2 April 2020, 12:50 AM   #12
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Quote:

That looks much later than the three digit series so most likely a Generations.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 03:27 AM   #13
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
A few more photos from the listing...

Old 2 April 2020, 05:23 AM   #14
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Still think it's post three digit slims.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 09:52 PM   #15
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
It’s definitely not a ‘Generation’. I have one, in red, and it’s different.

It does look like a 221 to me, but I’ll admit it looks very new.

On the other hand, I have pens of that era that look very new too!
Old 2 April 2020, 10:40 PM   #16
supra8903
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 114060
I like Karas Pen Co.
built like a tank (machined lines)
I have the EDC in Brass.

Untitled by Joseph Jeram, on Flickr
supra8903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 08:55 AM   #17
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Regarding the Lamy... Started journaling with it.

Old 4 April 2020, 02:49 AM   #18
Thurnau
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust
If Rollerball:
I like montblanc, except my montblanc "starwalker" pens. 2 of mine are problematic. Montblanc's LeGrande has a much bigger ink refill and less prone to drying up compared to the standard one.
I prefer my Cartier rollerball (RB) to Montblanc but the refills are very scarce. Cartier refills tend to last much longer than my Montblanc.

I have a Versace pen which takes an Aurora refill, and while I don't recommend hopping into a fashion pen, I'd say the Aurora refill is right up there with the other great brands.

Pelikan and S.T. Dupont also have very good refills available, but I haven't bought any of these pens, yet.

I beleive one company in Germany "Schmidt" makes refills for all the other brands. They make attempts to prevent from crossing over in a mechanical way, and I feel like there are micro differences in the ink recipes too.
Thurnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 10:34 PM   #19
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurnau View Post
If Rollerball:
I like montblanc, except my montblanc "starwalker" pens. 2 of mine are problematic. Montblanc's LeGrande has a much bigger ink refill and less prone to drying up compared to the standard one.
I prefer my Cartier rollerball (RB) to Montblanc but the refills are very scarce. Cartier refills tend to last much longer than my Montblanc.

I have a Versace pen which takes an Aurora refill, and while I don't recommend hopping into a fashion pen, I'd say the Aurora refill is right up there with the other great brands.

Pelikan and S.T. Dupont also have very good refills available, but I haven't bought any of these pens, yet.

I beleive one company in Germany "Schmidt" makes refills for all the other brands. They make attempts to prevent from crossing over in a mechanical way, and I feel like there are micro differences in the ink recipes too.
Thanks for the response. I'm actually getting a Pelikan to be delivered today. I'll let you know how I like it. I guess I should pick up some ink for it if I want to use it.

Old 11 April 2020, 03:46 AM   #20
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Intro to Pens?

Close to a couple of weeks later I've amassed a bit of a collection. Here are a few of photos...

Old 11 April 2020, 03:58 AM   #21
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Congratulations. Lovely collection

Old 11 April 2020, 04:01 AM   #22
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Congratulations. Lovely collection

Thanks, James!!!

Old 11 April 2020, 04:42 AM   #23
-dustin
2024 Pledge Member

I prefer my 10yr old Cartier Diabolo rollerball to everything else I’ve tried. Including fountain pens from various brands. I don’t know if it’s because I’m left-handed and apparently write oddly or what...but my Diabolo just feels like home.

At this point, all my pens are either dried up and dusty or have Schmidt RB refills in them. Except for this one Karas I have in my hand. It’s got a G2 refill in it.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 05:51 AM   #24
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
I prefer my 10yr old Cartier Diabolo rollerball to everything else I’ve tried. Including fountain pens from various brands. I don’t know if it’s because I’m left-handed and apparently write oddly or what...but my Diabolo just feels like home.

At this point, all my pens are either dried up and dusty or have Schmidt RB refills in them. Except for this one Karas I have in my hand. It’s got a G2 refill in it.
Left handed FP ownership takes a real desire and real fast drying or absorbing ink. Either that or real skill with blotter paper. I'm not certain I'd tackle it if I were a southpaw.

Old 12 April 2020, 12:41 AM   #25
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I think pens, moreso than watches, are very subjective and personal tools. I like the weight and feel of Mont Blanc, but when it comes to the writing...I like Sailor and Pelikan over all other. A lot of members seem to like the Lamy Safari as sort of an introductory pen. I own one, but it's not for me. As an intro pen, I'd suggest something from Pilot. Good luck in your search.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 01:23 AM   #26
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Close to a couple of weeks later I've amassed a bit of a collection. Here are a few of photos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I think pens, moreso than watches, are very subjective and personal tools. I like the weight and feel of Mont Blanc, but when it comes to the writing...I like Sailor and Pelikan over all other. A lot of members seem to like the Lamy Safari as sort of an introductory pen. I own one, but it's not for me. As an intro pen, I'd suggest something from Pilot. Good luck in your search.

A bit like locking the barn door after the horse is stolen... Thanks for the recommendation however. Still waiting for a couple to come in.

Old 12 April 2020, 01:57 AM   #27
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
A bit like locking the barn door after the horse is stolen... Thanks for the recommendation however. Still waiting for a could to come in.
Wow, I somehow missed the entire middle of this thread. You've had a hell of a couple weeks! Now that you've got a varied collection, what's your preference...and why?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 02:45 AM   #28
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Wow, I somehow missed the entire middle of this thread. You've had a hell of a couple weeks! Now that you've got a varied collection, what's your preference...and why?
Hell of a couple of weeks; consider it a coping mechanism as I still drive daily to work into the worst area of Massachusetts for the pandemic. Believe it or not (of course you believe it) I'm still feeling them out. The Montblanc 144 Vermeil is a great pen but has a Super Fine nib which I'm replacing with a medium. I like the fine line it produces but have problem with flow consistency. I really like the pen's aesthetics. I bought it used.

The Jonathan Swift has an enormous in trail and writes wonderfully and it very bold. The top doesn't post which is a bit of a disadvantage because it makes it smallish. I'm very much a Jonathan Swift fan so I'm biased towards the pen.

I spent some time with the W. A. Mozart set trying each item (FP, BP, and Pencil). I really like the way the FP writes. It is a bit smallish in the hand although I have pretty much small hand so it's comfortable when posted.

The Pelikan Smokey Quartz was used and feels a little scratchy; I've got a replacement nib coming for that as the one it came with was also somewhat scratched up.

The Lamy is pretty utilitarian but also writes wonderfully. If everything works out I'll get the replacement nib for the 144 and that will become my got to. I still have two older MBs coming in so the apple cart could be easily upturned.

I've also discovered different pens work differently depending on the paper they're coupled with. Again, still feeling everything out. For example with the Swift, I was just writing with it and it really feels fine in my hand.