The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 24 June 2020, 02:04 AM   #1
trueblackpercula
"TRF" Member

rattling/service on 3135 rolex movement

Hi

I am brand new at this and I find it fascinating to work on such a project. I have never worked on a watch movement before and this is my first go at it. I did it because I love the challenge. it has nothing to do with saving money as i could easily take it to ROLEX for servicing. i bought the watch brand new from Rolex store in 2006 in NYC and absolutely love it. (two tone submariner with a 3135 movement) paid $a little over $9,200
with that said i noticed that the watch was making a rattling noise that i just could not live with anymore and it was never serviced.

so i decided to read a whole lot and watched many many you-tube videos that really helped me better understand how to start the process.

well i after taking apart the automatic winding device i noticed the oscillating weight pinion gear was damaged and the spring clip for the oscillating weight was worn down as well.
so off i went and purchased original parts to replace them with correct oils to eventually do a complete servicing LOL

so i replaced them and i still had the same rattling noise even though everything was put back correctly and the oscillating weight looked to still have some movement.

so once again i thought it would be the upper jewel in the automatic device upper bridge as it look a little worn even after cleaning it. so off I go again to hunt down the correct original parts and received them a few days ago.

I took the upper automatic device module apart again cleaned everything again re-oiled correctly put it back and still the rattling did not go away.

so finally i decided to get original oscillating weight to replace the old one as the axle looked to be in bad shape.

I took everything apart again cleaned properly re-oiled everything correctly inserted the oscillating weight this part was not brand new and still i have have rattling from the oscillating weight.

whats left to do? or is this normal?

I will say when I first opened the case back there was reddish dust everywhere and i believe that is a clear indication of the oscillating weight axle being damaged from grinding. But the one I received looks 100x better then the old one.

should i just now replace the axle part number # 3135 - 568 or is there something else.

by the way i checked all the screws and none were loose anywhere on the movement that i could see.

view pics. side by side....on the left is the old and on the right is the new parts

Any advise would be greatly appreciated and i will say this is very fascinating.
Michael

Attached Images
File Type: png yy.png (139.7 KB, 329 views)
File Type: png xx.png (142.9 KB, 330 views)
File Type: png zz.png (163.7 KB, 329 views)
File Type: png wwww.png (271.3 KB, 334 views)
File Type: png tttt.png (261.1 KB, 333 views)
trueblackpercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 02:06 AM   #2
mnbookman
"TRF" Member

Without looking I would assume you need a new oscillating weight axle.
mnbookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 06:32 AM   #3
Ron P
"TRF" Member

Simple: change the axle and check the clip. The clip is available in different thicknesses if you still have to much play. But always start with axle as that is the root cause.

Instead of changing the clip you can also adjust the play with the height of the stones, but you will need special tooling for it to press the stone 1/100 up or down.

The old clip can often be reversed (upside down) if worn, saves some dollars.

Succes

Ron
Ron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 07:49 AM   #4
trueblackpercula
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the information. I have seen that the clip does come in three sizes and I opened to get the number 1. Is the number 2 thicker And number 3 thickest?

I will easily purchase a new axel and see how that goes.

Thanks for the information both of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron P View Post
Simple: change the axle and check the clip. The clip is available in different thicknesses if you still have to much play. But always start with axle as that is the root cause.

Instead of changing the clip you can also adjust the play with the height of the stones, but you will need special tooling for it to press the stone 1/100 up or down.

The old clip can often be reversed (upside down) if worn, saves some dollars.

Succes

Ron
Old 24 June 2020, 02:49 PM   #5
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblackpercula View Post
Thank you for the information. I have seen that the clip does come in three sizes and I opened to get the number 1. Is the number 2 thicker And number 3 thickest?

I will easily purchase a new axel and see how that goes.

Thanks for the information both of you.
560-1 is thickest.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 04:17 PM   #6
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Could the rattling noise be Rolexspeak for "take me to a RSC” Bas?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 04:40 PM   #7
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Could the rattling noise be Rolexspeak for "take me to a RSC Bas"?
Yes, that is certainly what it means.
Old 24 June 2020, 05:59 PM   #8
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
560-1 is thickest.
My bad, 560-1 is h0.18, 560-2 is h0.16, 560-3 is h0.195
Old 25 June 2020, 06:28 AM   #9
trueblackpercula
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Could the rattling noise be Rolexspeak for "take me to a RSC” Bas?
That would not be too much fun for me. But thanks for the advice.
Old 3 July 2020, 12:17 AM   #10
trueblackpercula
"TRF" Member

thank you as i did notice that there are three sizes. i purchased #1 and when i matched it up the the original one they are exact.

I ended up purchasing a new GENUINE Rolex 3135-568 Oscillating Weight Axle New Sealed at $80 bucks I found it to be reasonable as its still in packaging.

what is everyone using to clean the entire movement? i did use lighter fluid and alcohol as in the pictures i posted, but i cannot get a hold of essance renata as its illegal here in the US. is there something else?

Quote:
My bad, 560-1 is h0.18, 560-2 is h0.16, 560-3 is h0.195
Old 3 July 2020, 12:26 AM   #11
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
...what is everyone using to clean the entire movement? i did use lighter fluid and alcohol as in the pictures i posted, but i cannot get a hold of essance renata as its illegal here in the US. is there something else?
Either of these should give you a nice clean

http://www.greinervibrograf.com/?pageID=41&lng=en

https://www.elma-ultrasonic.com/en/p...1123:downloads

https://www.elma-ultrasonic.com/en/p...-luxury-clean/
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 03:00 AM   #12
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
thank you as i did notice that there are three sizes. i purchased #1 and when i matched it up the the original one they are exact.

I ended up purchasing a new GENUINE Rolex 3135-568 Oscillating Weight Axle New Sealed at $80 bucks I found it to be reasonable as its still in packaging.

what is everyone using to clean the entire movement? i did use lighter fluid and alcohol as in the pictures i posted, but i cannot get a hold of essance renata as its illegal here in the US. is there something else?
I think that is an absolute astronomical price for what it is.

I hope you have the correct tools to take out the old one and rivet the new one.
Old 3 July 2020, 05:26 AM   #13
trueblackpercula
"TRF" Member

Hi yes I have the tools to remove and install it. But when you say that it was astronomical I couldn’t find it anywhere on the internet for less in original packaging. There are a lot for $15 bucks but are copies. So I opted for the original.

Is there anther source for Rolex parts that you can share?

Quote:
I think that is an absolute astronomical price for what it is.

I hope you have the correct tools to take out the old one and rivet the new one.
Old 3 July 2020, 05:27 AM   #14
trueblackpercula
"TRF" Member

Thank you as I will check on the below links and let you know.

Michael
Old 3 July 2020, 05:42 AM   #15
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Hi yes I have the tools to remove and install it. But when you say that it was astronomical I couldn’t find it anywhere on the internet for less in original packaging. There are a lot for $15 bucks but are copies. So I opted for the original.

Is there anther source for Rolex parts that you can share?
No idea. I work for an RSC so we see the official parts prices, and I'm always amazed at how expensive these parts are on the market..
I'd have to check but I'm quite sure an original from Rolex is less than $15. But then again, they don't sell spare parts just like that.
Old 7 July 2020, 01:05 PM   #16
trueblackpercula
"TRF" Member

Just wanted to report back as I received the axel rotor and punch set today and could not help myself. So I went removed the old axle and installed the new one with no problems at all. I reinstalled the oscillating weight with new axel and bam the rattling noise is gone. I can’t thank everyone enough for all the help and guidance.

Next step will be to perform a complete servicing in the month to come as I am waiting on a watchmakers parts tray with dust cover.

Will let everyone no as I progress as I am sure it will take me a couple days to clean all the parts re-oil and put back together.

Man this is really an art and love it.

Michael
Old 7 July 2020, 07:24 PM   #17
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Just wanted to report back as I received the axel rotor and punch set today and could not help myself. So I went removed the old axle and installed the new one with no problems at all. I reinstalled the oscillating weight with new axel and bam the rattling noise is gone. I can’t thank everyone enough for all the help and guidance.

Next step will be to perform a complete servicing in the month to come as I am waiting on a watchmakers parts tray with dust cover.

Will let everyone no as I progress as I am sure it will take me a couple days to clean all the parts re-oil and put back together.

Man this is really an art and love it.

Michael
Looking forward!
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 12:57 AM   #18
vulcan20
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Seadweller
On the topic of rotors, does anyone know if a new 3035 rotor with axle would fit as a swap in a 1530/1570 series movement (in the automatic movement module)?
vulcan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 10:51 AM   #19
Ron P
"TRF" Member

The short answer is no.
Ron P is offline   Reply With Quote