The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 6 July 2020, 03:46 PM   #1
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

Anyone convert leather skydweller to oyster bracelet?

Hopefully this is the right forum. I bought the last white gold skydweller in the US from an AD, the 326139. I wanted the 326939, but wasn’t comfortable with that large of an online transaction. I noticed on my watch 2 inserts where the endlinks would be. I’m taking it to a respected watch worker, but it “looks” to me that the 2 inserts, which fill the gap between the case and leather band, are attached separately to the case and removable. Has anyone does this conversion? I would still need to get the WG oyster bracelet as well. No small feat in either part. Any information is appreciated. Thanks!
eanzenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 10:17 PM   #2
REFZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Rolex Way
I don't think that the extra gold "end-links / inserts" which are used with a leather strap can come off.

If you have a look at the Rubber B website they offer different straps for Sky Dwellers with leather straps and with bracelets.
Old 6 July 2020, 10:37 PM   #3
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyDweller 326933
I was under the impression that the lugs on that model are slightly different as well. It may be an optical illusion but looking at the watch in person it seemed that way

Mike
SpicyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 02:09 AM   #4
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

I have actually ordered a rubberb strap for it as well! It is coming this week, excited to use it.

I attached a pic from behind with the leather strap still on. It would be easier to see without. It looks like a chunk of metal with a lip covering the rounded case. I have no idea how or if it can be taken off. I’m curious if anyone else went down this road. But probably not, as they probably had the chance to just buy the oyster bracelet watch when it was available.

My other option is to obtain the bracelet and have a watch worker machine it down to fit the case. I’m not sure it is worth going this route, as the bracelet is expensive. But I’m also hesitant to alter the case itself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 85611C38-E788-407A-A6B6-B67051545AB7.jpeg (62.4 KB, 182 views)
Old 8 July 2020, 04:52 AM   #5
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

Here is another photo without a band on. It’s clear there is a piece of metal, like a lip, that covers the case. I’m sure this can be removed. I just don’t know how difficult it would be. Would the whole watch need to be disassembled? Probably. May wait for my 10 year service to find out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2AB3A2CC-7025-4CE8-A658-8DFFA1448890.jpeg (57.3 KB, 160 views)
Old 10 July 2020, 11:02 AM   #6
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Anyone convert leather skydweller to oyster bracelet?

On other precious metal Rolex models factory fitted with leather bands the endlinks are hold in place by the bezel assembly and can indeed be removed, as shown below on a WG Daytona; perhaps the same applies to the SkyDweller ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 01:52 AM   #7
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

I had a call with Rolliworks (they’re local to me in the San Francisco Bay Area) and they said the same thing. It’s a mod they do lots of times for Daytona owners, but they never did with a Skydweller but they said it would probably be the same type.

When a Daytona does this mod, I assume the complimentary bracelet fits exactly? I’ve tried to see if the case itself, minus the metal lip protrusions, is identical between the 326139 and 326939. I don’t think anyones done or needed to do this mod.

Finally, if anyone is willing to sell their used 326939 white-gold bracelet, please be in touch. A brand new one is more expensive than a SS Skydweller, and I’m not sure I’m ready for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
On other precious metal Rolex models factory fitted with leather bands the endlinks are hold in place by the bezel assembly and can indeed be removed, as shown below on a WG Daytona; perhaps the same applies to the SkyDweller ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro