The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 August 2022, 09:39 PM   #1
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
What would you do?

If you are familiar with the car world, it’s similar to the watch world.

Things were way way inflated. Some cars, like some watches, if they are limited enough are still going for big money over.

I admit, when I got this Ultimae, I definitely entertained selling it. Heck, I told a broker if he gets me the right number, I’d do it. But I’m about to increase that number.

I’ve never been in a car like this before. Yes, I’ve had some cool cars. 458, 720, DBS etc. Even the Turbo S is borderline Supercar performance.

None of these even compare with the Ultimae. Don’t get me wrong, I prefer the 911 in almost every way. But those are individual preferences based on my own personality.

Truth is, this lambo is mind blowing. Never have I felt so grounded and planted. Never have I felt this giddy power. Words just can’t do it justice.

So now, I really don’t want to sell it. I could wipe out nearly all my dumb mistakes in one sale. But, I’m thinking selling might be another dumb mistake. Whether I’m in a stock, or this car, I’m not sure the investment aspect is too different.

Sure, there are carrying costs for the car. But not terrible. And I do pay a fee to my FA. And my guess is that I’ll have as good a chance of this car doubling in value as I would any given blue chip stock. Likely, my chances are better. Last NA V12 lambo ever. Last of the Aventador line. 1 of 250 made. Only about 1/3 of them in the states.

And this spec is just super classy. Hard to part with it. Think I’ll be keeping it for the time being.

Curious though, for you car guys, and you non car guys, what would you do?

Sell for the quick buck. Or keep in hopes of purse enjoyment along with it also being a good short term or long term investment.

(Please don’t tell me that cars should not be an investment. If you know even a little about me, you know I love and drive my cars. Hard. This is simply a very different opportunity).

Btw, not my house. That’s a buddies and his STO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8D1E0B4E-4306-4177-B6C6-9FE03D68CB37.jpeg (180.9 KB, 721 views)
File Type: jpeg A991B0BF-2017-4372-B8A1-3EEDCC70DCD5.jpeg (273.5 KB, 716 views)

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 09:49 PM   #2
Toony
"TRF" Member

I would only sell it for a number that when you tell people you sold it for that much they are in shock someone paid that much. Sick car my friend!!
Toony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 09:49 PM   #3
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Based upon your obvious and significant emotional attachment to this car and cars in general, there’s no way in hell I would sell it. Period.

Enjoy it until the one day when maybe you don’t enjoy it anymore. Then sell it.

If it was me, I’d never sell it.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 10:01 PM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues

HODL
Old 22 August 2022, 10:05 PM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m not a car guy as you know Seth. That said, almost everything has a price especially if it’s not emotionally or sentimentally attached to you in some way …

If I read you right it sounds like you love it but you don’t LOVE it.

Personally, I’d set a number your happy with and sell it, then don’t look back.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 10:07 PM   #6
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
I'd sell anything for the right price. That is a sum that would unlock better things than the asset on sale, for me.
Old 22 August 2022, 10:07 PM   #7
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Let me start by saying the closest I’ve been to any of the cars you’ve mentioned is through yours and others pictures on this forum so I don’t qualify as a car guy. But I have two takeaways from your post.

1. It sounds like the car’s value will at a minimum hold but most likely increase nicely.
2. It sounds like you truly enjoy it… right now.

If point 2 ever stops being true point 1 is a great position to be in. IMO until point 2 stops being true don’t think about point 1 and enjoy the car.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 10:15 PM   #8
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I can only respond anecdotally since I could never afford let alone want a car like that.

If you are thinking about selling it then some part of you knows it is what you want to do.

I have said the same thing about watches (since we are comparing) and those watches are now gone and I have never regretted letting them go. I look at the opportunity to have worn them as the experience and not falling in love with the possession.

Good luck.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 10:23 PM   #9
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I wouldn’t sell it. I look back with regret for selling my Ducati, my wood boat and several special watches. I’ve even tried to buy some of them back years later. You obviously have a real connection to this car, and I’m pretty sure you’ll experience remorse if you sell it.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 10:41 PM   #10
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Seth, I’ve never heard you talk about a car like you did this one and you’ve owned some absolute beasts.

If the money you’d make selling quick will bring you more happiness than enjoying the car and reaping the most likely exponentially greater profit if you hold for a while, I’d say sell. I especially say hold if the money is only going to add some cash to your portfolio. I don’t think looking at my portfolio on my phone would bring the same enjoyment as looking at that beauty in the garage, let alone enjoyment driving it!!

This car will be legendary, I’d bet my money on it. I also think it will be a great car to help increase your brand and elevate GS to the next level.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 10:42 PM   #11
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Keep it. Prices will continue to go up, especially in 5 years. The market for these will be bonkers.

You moved up fast compared to 2-3 years ago? Love seeing this.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 10:47 PM   #12
binArt
Banned

Watch: 16600
I think you have to decide if you are a car guy, and this car brings intrinsic joy like no other. Or, if you're a business guy looking at the numbers.
binArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 11:06 PM   #13
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Dream car. Don't sell.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 11:20 PM   #14
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Great comments guys. Some really great comments.

Thank you.

Truly is a once in a lifetime opportunity for a guy like me.

Old 22 August 2022, 11:21 PM   #15
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
Seth, I’ve never heard you talk about a car like you did this one and you’ve owned some absolute beasts.

If the money you’d make selling quick will bring you more happiness than enjoying the car and reaping the most likely exponentially greater profit if you hold for a while, I’d say sell. I especially say hold if the money is only going to add some cash to your portfolio. I don’t think looking at my portfolio on my phone would bring the same enjoyment as looking at that beauty in the garage, let alone enjoyment driving it!!

“This car will be legendary, I’d bet my money on it. I also think it will be a great car to help increase your brand and elevate GS to the next level”.

Absolutely could not agree more. It’s already having an effect.

Old 22 August 2022, 11:40 PM   #16
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

i would absolutely 100% not sell that car. yeah you can flip it for some money but do you actually need it right now? or will that profit give you the same enjoyment as the car? realistically you'll probably end up buying another car with it anyway

that car is sick and as a v12 lambo it's one of the few cars i feel like you should actually hold on to from an investment standpoint, if the money is what concerns you. we're already seeing what's happening with cars from the mid 2000s that we'll never see again. the car world is about to change forever and a NA v12 lambo is something we'll never see again. money is meant to be spent on enjoyment
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 11:49 PM   #17
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Absolutely would not sell. I know you love the turbo S and I do too but I would sell that before the Ultimae. The next turbo S will be better, faster, have bigger turbos, etc., the next in a long line of turbos. But there will never be another Lambo V12.
AP ROC 26315or; AP RO 15450st; Vacheron Fiftysix; Day Date RG 228235 Olive; Daytona YG 116528; Daytona YG Oysterflex 116518; Cartier Santos de Cartier Rose Gold; Panerai PAM 0048; IWC Portofino Chrono; Girard-Perregaux Richeville
strettyend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 11:49 PM   #18
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
i would absolutely 100% not sell that car. yeah you can flip it for some money but do you actually need it right now? or will that profit give you the same enjoyment as the car? realistically you'll probably end up buying another car with it anyway

that car is sick and as a v12 lambo it's one of the few cars i feel like you should actually hold on to from an investment standpoint, if the money is what concerns you. we're already seeing what's happening with cars from the mid 2000s that we'll never see again. the car world is about to change forever and a NA v12 lambo is something we'll never see again. money is meant to be spent on enjoyment
Well said brother.

I don’t need it now. And if I’m looking at my spreadsheet…what does it matter what column the asset is.

Thinking I’d definitely regret the sale of this work of art.

Old 22 August 2022, 11:55 PM   #19
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strettyend View Post
Absolutely would not sell. I know you love the turbo S and I do too but I would sell that before the Ultimae. The next turbo S will be better, faster, have bigger turbos, etc., the next in a long line of turbos. But there will never be another Lambo V12.
You are so right.

But gosh golly, even thinking about selling the turbo s makes me pucker in inappropriate places.

I do have a cayanne turbo gt coming in tho…

Shoot, I’m not selling that either. Might just have the perfect collection forming.

Old 23 August 2022, 12:07 AM   #20
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
You are so right.

But gosh golly, even thinking about selling the turbo s makes me pucker in inappropriate places.

I do have a cayanne turbo gt coming in tho…

Shoot, I’m not selling that either. Might just have the perfect collection forming.
Haha it is a disease. I love hoarding them too...
AP ROC 26315or; AP RO 15450st; Vacheron Fiftysix; Day Date RG 228235 Olive; Daytona YG 116528; Daytona YG Oysterflex 116518; Cartier Santos de Cartier Rose Gold; Panerai PAM 0048; IWC Portofino Chrono; Girard-Perregaux Richeville
strettyend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2022, 12:09 AM   #21
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Keep and forget you own it ….well hard to forget but do keep. I wish you kinda kept the Ford Gt too they were bringing crazy $$$ this weekend. But if you sell the Lambo its going to be tough to replace it with something comparable.
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2022, 12:13 AM   #22
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Keep and forget you own it ….well hard to forget but do keep. I wish you kinda kept the Ford Gt too they were bringing crazy $$$ this weekend. But if you sell the Lambo its going to be tough to replace it with something comparable.
Regret selling the GT too.

Old 23 August 2022, 12:49 AM   #23
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
I’d keep that thing of beauty until you get tired of it. When that time comes, then let it go.

PS, that car will get you a speeding ticket while it’s standing still.

Good luck Seth
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2022, 01:23 AM   #24
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I'm a car guy. Maybe not at your level.

LOL, who am I kidding. "Maybe". Ha!

Years ago I was thinking of buying an Audi R8. Nice car, but man oh man everyone looks at you, takes pictures, etc. and I just don't want that kind of attention.

My neighbor has a McLaren. It's nice, I like it, it's cool, it's fast, but at $300K+ I think I would be a bit too paranoid to drive it around town. Heck, my $165,000 BMW is of course, used now, but even so is worth more than the mandatory minimum liability insurance limit in NC, and so any moron that hits me is more likely than not, not going to have enough insurance to compensate me. Which is why I have UI/UI coverage, but would just make it all that more difficult to extract things like diminished value, pain & suffering, etc.

But that's me, not Seth. No one buys a car like that who can't afford to lose it. Not that you want to, but it's not like he's going to have to sell a kidney to pay for food if the car gets stolen.

So yeah, keep it, enjoy it, by all means drive it! When you tire of it, and you will, because something more shiny will appear, then you can flip it for something else.

Slightly OT: I was watching the Monterey auctions this weekend, and it's simply criminal how many extremely (like < 500) low mileage cars were up for sale.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2022, 01:45 AM   #25
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Sell it.

A mature strong minded person learns to detach emotionally and financially from replaceable material things to capitalize on better opportunities (more money)

Or become super rich (Like me. Rolex owner/investor/yacht owner) and not ask these ridiculous questions you poseur.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2022, 01:54 AM   #26
binArt
Banned

Watch: 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Slightly OT: I was watching the Monterey auctions this weekend, and it's simply criminal how many extremely (like < 500) low mileage cars were up for sale.
Most of the supercar owners I've encountered were flexing. You don't need to drive far to flex. Then the next shiny thing comes along.
binArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2022, 01:54 AM   #27
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Sell it.

A mature strong minded person learns to detach emotionally and financially from replaceable material things to capitalize on better opportunities (more money)

Or become super rich (Like me. Rolex owner/investor/yacht owner) and not ask these ridiculous questions you poseur.

1 of 250 made. Not easily replaced.

Did I sense a hint of a jealous tinge in the last comment Wook?

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2022, 01:58 AM   #28
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
1 of 250 made. Not easily replaced.

Did I sense a hint of a jealous tinge in the last comment Wook?

I don’t subscribe to the Panerai numbering scarcity playbook to inflate car values. These two door contortionist inspired spontaneously combust can’t use a drive thru or have a chauffeur engine light magnets all look the same today and you can’t even go safari in them to bag an elephant.

Junk.

Seth knows it.

Last edited by Chewbacca; 23 August 2022 at 02:13 AM.. Reason: Logic took over
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2022, 02:45 AM   #29
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Me, in your shoes? I’d refuse to be happy and spend my days chasing the new Countach.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2022, 03:03 AM   #30
Star Ferry
Banned

For an adult toy like a watch or car — my policy is that if you’re even considering selling it, then sell it. I’ve lost money doing this over time but it’s simple.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote