The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 20 June 2023, 02:38 AM   #1
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
Taiwanese AP Collector got banned and sharing his story

not sure how to embed youtube videos but here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lr-...otorClub%2FEWC
trackingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 02:56 AM   #2
lucasalce
"TRF" Member

I feel his frustration but its a light bulb moment.
I think you have to just be transparent with your SA on what you want to do, sell/trade for another similar AP on the grey market. Especially when it comes to desirable pieces like QPs or openwork.
Problem is idk if corporate will understand or get the same message.
lucasalce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 03:03 AM   #3
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Okay.... I am a little undecided after watching the video.
Few months ago, I did mention that AP were biased towards celebrities and that they get a free pass to all the good stuffs (all AP are good, just some are more equal).
Sunny isn't exactly a Taiwan A-lister celebrity (ask any Taiwanese), yet he got an 88 piece China LE QP.....
He started the video by mentioning that he's BLACKLISTED because he sold 2 WATCHES, and those 2 watches ARE SPECIAL WATCHES. WG Double balanced wheel and China LE QP.
Most of us here can only dream of those 2 allocations.
That's a positive sign that AP is taking the right steps to correct the perception of bias - that even though one is a celebrity, they are held to the same standards which is flip a watch and out you go! That's correct and should be commended!

On the other hand, if Sunny is blacklisted for selling a piece after 2 years for another AP (as he stated), what's is AP's rule for Mr Chu for running a wide open grey dealership?
So one is allowed to sell brand new watches like these: (https://wristcheck.com/buy/audemars-...reen-dial/1478) - note the rotor isn't a 50th anniversary, hence likely to be sold in 2023, and another guy can't sell a watch to spice up his collection?

So the prodigal son of AP can aid flipping and make a commission out of it, while others are regulated by rules and can’t act freely, even after passing the mandatory 2 year warranty period?
HMHM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 03:11 AM   #4
dmash
"TRF" Member

I mean……isn’t this exactly what we’ve said we hoped brands would do? Cut off guys who are selling their special allocations?

It’s hard to draw the line though because I also get part of his side, as he simply traded for the colored gold counterparts. But end of day that results in a special allocation reaching the grey market and is a bad look. This is just like somebody gets a SS Jumbo, trades on for a YG Jumbo and then is frustrated they get cut off. Hard to take a side on this one. I almost feel like if he had been super communicative with his SA/boutique it might have alleviated this problem? As he mentioned he talked to other GREY dealers but not his boutique prior to solidifying the transaction. I would just think it’s smart to talk to your boutique before you sell onward a 1/88 timepiece, no?
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 03:13 AM   #5
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Thanks for posting this video, interesting. It seems as though 2 years was not sufficient time to sell, perhaps it's 3? Somewhat unclear of a "Rule"
Old 20 June 2023, 03:14 AM   #6
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I mean……isn’t this exactly what we’ve said we hoped brands would do? Cut off guys who are selling their special allocations?

It’s hard to draw the line though because I also get part of his side, as he simply traded for the colored gold counterparts. But end of day that results in a special allocation reaching the grey market and is a bad look. This is just like somebody gets a SS Jumbo, trades on for a YG Jumbo and then is frustrated they get cut off. Hard to take a side on this one. I almost feel like if he had been super communicative with his SA/boutique it might have alleviated this problem? As he mentioned he talked to other GREY dealers but not his boutique prior to solidifying the transaction. I would just think it’s smart to talk to your boutique before you sell onward a 1/88 timepiece, no?

I agree, perhaps he could have run things past/explained his reasons with AP before selling?
Old 20 June 2023, 03:42 AM   #7
DonLee
"TRF" Member

If he was upset for selling one of the many mundane AP's he has, sure, I get it. But no, those are super limited high end Royal Oaks that only VIPs can get. If you weren't sure you would want the watch, don't buy it and then act surprised AP is upset when you sell it for profit.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 03:58 AM   #8
PT_91
"TRF" Member

I understand his frustration, however he had to know what this was about all the time. And while they allocated some of the hottest pieces to him, he of course couldn't be bothered. He talks about his LOVE for AP while all there is on the table are Royal Oaks that everybody is longing for.

Also crying about having to pay for everything else beside flight and accomodation reg. that event in Japan is a little too much for me.
PT_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 03:59 AM   #9
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_91 View Post
I understand his frustration, however he had to know what this was about all the time. And while they allocated some of the hottest pieces to him, he of course couldn't be bothered. He talks about his LOVE for AP while all there is on the table are Royal Oaks that everybody is longing for.

Also crying about having to pay for everything else beside flight and accomodation reg. that event in Japan is a little too much for me.
Yeah the whole video what somewhat cringe worthy.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 04:08 AM   #10
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Of all the first world problems, this has to be about the most first world ish problem of them all!
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 04:13 AM   #11
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashj52 View Post
I agree, perhaps he could have run things past/explained his reasons with AP before selling?
First and foremost, people can also pass on allocations if they don’t intend to keep them for the long term. This way, other deserving collectors have an opportunity to acquire them. Even if you acquire something “in the family” there is still additional trade value above MSRP - why not just buy the watch outright without a trade?

Second, it’s not that difficult to let his Store Manager / GM know before hand. Certainly, they can give a heads up to headquarters, and in some cases, connect to other collectors who may be interested. More importantly, there’s a risk that Store Manager may get dinged or fired for offering TWO super allocated pieces to a client that gets resold to the grey market. Keep in mind, these boutiques put their credibility on the line when they request these pieces - and this can hurt their ability to get future pieces. And sometimes their jobs.

In the end, while I understand the frustration, I don’t think it would have been that difficult to just reach out to their AP representative and let them know the ahead of time. Which begs the question - what is the time period that is acceptable to let go of a watch? I assume it’s 5 years…
Pfang56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 04:18 AM   #12
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Ok so I watched the entire video. I see both sides

He traded 2 hard to get A P's for 2 even more harder to get discontinued pieces. As he states repeatedly he's still "repping" the brand. I'd like to think he mentioned that on the call he got. Not sure if he stated such in the video.

Idk at the end of the day "some" A D's and S A's need to eat some humble pie. This I'm doing you a favor nonsense has gotten out of hand. On the PP forum there's a thread about a PP dealer getting sued and when I reached out to someone familiar with the situation he said with an elitist attitude "yeah the guy is just some pissed off flipper"

I started to say well looking at what he bought and how much I dont think the guy is a flipper but I didnt. Wasnt worth my time trying to change someone's mind. A lot of A D's and S A's have forgot what it used to be like when cases were full/customers that could've bought elsewhere for much much less. But stayed loyal.

Ok rant over
Old 20 June 2023, 04:57 AM   #13
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_91 View Post

Never heard of the guy but he seemed to be a legend in his own mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 05:25 AM   #14
PatexRhilippe
"TRF" Member

I'm on Sunnys side here. He seems to be a genuine collector that is repping AP in many ways and overall good for the brand.

I don't like how AP handled things here and I don't like the gatekeeping by AP where if you sell a watch after having it for years or more that it results in a ban. Tastes change and so does the collecting mindset. The buyer should still be able to do whatever they want and not get banned. Ultimately it's the SAs job to vet the person they are giving the allocations to.

The boutiques can do this now because of the current market conditions, however, nothing lasts forever and looking forward to the day when collectors are in power again.
PatexRhilippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 05:37 AM   #15
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Losing sleep over nOT getting a watch wow
Tough at the top LOL
Imagine how I feel
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 05:53 AM   #16
m3tek44
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: this
I can see why he is frustrated/disappointed with entire process here. He sold the watch watch after 2 yrs. and upgraded to another AP. Whereas AP found out, he sold limited edition watches.

Hope HQ understand the situation as he appears to be true enthusiast collector base on video.
m3tek44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 06:28 AM   #17
shammad10
"TRF" Member

This dude sounds so out of touch. Especially the part when he's talking about 'having to pay' to attend an event and fly his own stylist and media team out. Just another spoilt rich kid.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 06:35 AM   #18
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
So one is allowed to sell brand new watches like these: (https://wristcheck.com/buy/audemars-...reen-dial/1478) - note the rotor isn't a 50th anniversary, hence likely to be sold in 2023, and another guy can't sell a watch to spice up his collection?
This is a key question/point. Why can the Wristcheck guy do this without consequence? Is it because they aren’t his pieces being sold, or do the rules only apply to special pieces?
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 06:41 AM   #19
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Wife regarding the guy in the video "No idea who he is.", so not exactly an A-lister. Too much cringe to watch the whole thing. Adult approach would have been to talk to the boutique before selling.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 06:43 AM   #20
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
This is a key question/point. Why can the Wristcheck guy do this without consequence? Is it because they aren’t his pieces being sold, or do the rules only apply to special pieces?
He is not selling his own allocations. Will be interesting to see how this evolves with the new CEO.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 06:58 AM   #21
edo
"TRF" Member

One truth is that brands are run by people and people sometimes act like semigods because situation right now is that they have the power to get or not to get allocation of luxury good that in reality no one needs... and we are all a little guilty for that...

On other hand, this collector who cries about having to pay to go to events, loosing a sleep etc looks like the thing he is bothered the most is that he is not getting signature Francoise Brokeback Mountain hugs from the back like some other collectors....
edo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 07:12 AM   #22
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Is it possible that AP got alarmed because he sold two very limited pieces in a short period of time?
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 07:19 AM   #23
Gourdman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
One truth is that brands are run by people and people sometimes act like semigods because situation right now is that they have the power to get or not to get allocation of luxury good that in reality no one needs... and we are all a little guilty for that...

On other hand, this collector who cries about having to pay to go to events, loosing a sleep etc looks like the thing he is bothered the most is that he is not getting signature Francoise Brokeback Mountain hugs from the back like some other collectors....
what is a Francoise Brokeback Mountain hug?
Gourdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 07:21 AM   #24
Gourdman
"TRF" Member

I guess that's the thing.

Brands don't really love you. It is almost like having an ongoing "relationship" with a prostitute.

No matter how much money you give them, you are at the end of the day a John. And at the end of the day, they are just a prostitute. You are buying their affection for money. It is up to them, at any given time to decide whether or not to drop you as a John.

They don't love you. You're not supposed to love them.

I am glad he came to his senses.
Gourdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 07:31 AM   #25
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourdman View Post

Brands don't really love you. It is almost like having an ongoing "relationship" with a prostitute.

No matter how much money you give them, you are at the end of the day a John. And at the end of the day, they are just a prostitute. You are buying their affection for money. It is up to them, at any given time to decide whether or not to drop you as a John.

Whaaaaaattttt? They don’t ❤️ love me? I thought it was true love

As for this John dude, what about Dave? Surely everyone loves a Dave
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 07:32 AM   #26
hundreds
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatexRhilippe View Post
I'm on Sunnys side here. He seems to be a genuine collector that is repping AP in many ways and overall good for the brand.

I don't like how AP handled things here and I don't like the gatekeeping by AP where if you sell a watch after having it for years or more that it results in a ban. Tastes change and so does the collecting mindset. The buyer should still be able to do whatever they want and not get banned. Ultimately it's the SAs job to vet the person they are giving the allocations to.
100% agree with this.
hundreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 07:50 AM   #27
edo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
what is a Francoise Brokeback Mountain hug?
An old internal AP joke... you all know what about is a Brokeback Mountain movie right and there is no celebrity or influencer in these modern days that didn't get the Francoise hug from the back... but hey it is still a joke, like the ones with the turtleneck and coke driven afterparties... and G.I.Joe Code launch... but at the end of the day he was a great CEO and did a lot for AP....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shutterstock_7527682cl.jpg (46.4 KB, 1903 views)
edo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 08:03 AM   #28
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I fully agree with you and I really don't get the point of his story. He has been allocated some of the rarest pieces of AP, limited to less than 100 in some instances. Rather than telling his boutique / SA upfront, he sells it and buys another (yes also rare, but regardless he sold it).

There are many people on this forum who waited more than 24 months and haven't gotten ANY call for ANYTHING, so it's hard to feel sorry for someone sitting in front of 8 solid gold watches because he's been "blacklisted".

I would assume in that stratosphere of being a client / watch collector, AP is expecting you to buy and hold for a REALLY long time, no one get these allocations and then really needs to flip them to buy something else... gimme a break. Plenty of rappers / musicians / NBA players / etc queued up who'd gladly take it off your hands

0.01% problems honestly
messikens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 08:05 AM   #29
squall1
"TRF" Member

Well, we aren't getting AP's side of the story and we never will. Even without that, I'm leaning AP's way here.
squall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2023, 08:17 AM   #30
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I can see both sides of this. Main issue is he sold two rare pieces and he should’ve discussed with his SA. Probably not an issue if it was like selling something less in demand like a Code
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote