The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 January 2023, 03:14 AM   #31
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

I am not so into gold Rolexes besides the 36mm day date which is pure class but still too flashy for me. The modern steel rolex are already tanks, quite heavy on the wrist compared to predecessors. I think the ethos of Rolex is the durability and reliability and that is why steel is best for this brand in particular. I prefer PM watches on strap. To each his own though, my wife has a solid yellow gold daytona and she loves the weight and illustriousness of how it feels on the wrist. If I had to choose a PM Rolex professional though I would get the WG Sub b/c it's stealth wealth and the blue bezel is cool. However, I find the bluesy to be more beautiful.
rolexandlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 03:15 AM   #32
Jimmy 2 Times
"TRF" Member

As a man with 4 posts talking to a man with over 20 thousand my philosophy is do what ever makes you happy so long as it does not harm others.

Most of us will only live once. So I say go for it. Worst case scenario it doesn’t work out for you and you sell it for what you paid because after all it is a Rolex.
Jimmy 2 Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 03:24 AM   #33
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

i think you get over the value on your wrist pretty quick and obviously spending that much on a watch is never worth it financially speaking but the daily enjoyment you'll get from it makes it worthwhile

life's short, go for it
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 03:49 AM   #34
MinMay
Banned

I will collect PM but I can’t imagine myself wearing a PM in public since I avoid the attention. Collecting watch is only a hobby for me.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 04:38 AM   #35
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Pretend it was a gift.
Old 31 January 2023, 04:50 AM   #36
Smookes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post

I can afford a Rolex, a SS and probably a TT if I wanted, but with a little stretch, COULD probably afford my WG sub this year. It would have to be the only Rolex I own

If you cant buy it 3 times comfortably, You cant afford it.

So, so when I read the word "stretch", it makes me skeptical.
Smookes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 05:35 AM   #37
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smookes View Post

Meh, one persons definition of “stretch” is not the same as another persons.

I don’t give financial advice or judgement on TRF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 06:11 AM   #38
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
The PM will scratch a bit easier but you always feel like you have something special on your wrist. I have a collection of watches but if I had to go down to ONE watch it would most likely be a WG Sub. Covers all the bases
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 06:18 AM   #39
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smookes View Post

Well that settles it, Paul. Unless you have $120k laying around; just delete this thread and forget about it.
Old 31 January 2023, 06:38 AM   #40
Madison1
"TRF" Member

I have a take on this.

Firstly, I think comfort level is fluid. When I got into watches I could not get my head around anything over £100. It's a watch. It tells the time. I then got a Tag. Loved it and felt good wearing it. Next I contemplated an Omega Seamaster but couldn't justify it. Eventually I got a 16600 and even though it was many multiples over the tag, I really appreciated it.

Long story short, I progressed up to a collection and don't feel uncomfortable where I am at. Admitredly the value is spread over a collection rather than one watch. My grail is a platinum DD which would have me asking the same questions as you.

My other stance on it is that if you wear it for the next 30 years then then cost is not that high (£100ish per month) and it will likely have some value unlike almost everything else that won't. Imagine buying a car now. Unless you get lucky it will be worthless in 30 years.

My final thought is that I admire your sensibleness. If you have a budget fot a watch/watch collection and are in or around it you have done well. It's when people keep adding irresponsibly that issues occur.

Ramble complete. Good luck OP
Madison1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 06:45 AM   #41
Ensign
"TRF" Member

I’m in the same boat. I wear SS all the time and wonder if it’s “appropriate” to daily PM. I tend to side with “no, why get so tied up with a ‘shiny’ object.” Then when I do see PM in the wild I smile and am in awe of how gorgeous and special they look.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 07:01 AM   #42
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
Whatever you do, don’t think about peoples opinions, just do it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 07:04 AM   #43
Smookes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
Well that settles it, Paul. Unless you have $120k laying around; just delete this thread and forget about it.

I had more than that when I bought my first PM.

Didn't have to worry about stretching anything or worry if anything goes wrong that I would have to sell it

You'd have to be a FOOL to have only 40k in your account and spend it all on a single watch. Shit, even if you had 80k, that's still not a wise choice. Its simple math.
Smookes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 07:46 AM   #44
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
So many thoughts - so many opinions - but YOURS is the one that matters.

Having said that, I will give you my own thoughts on this topic.

My dad always talked about what he was going to do when he retired. He had big dreams of all that he was going to do when he didn't have to work. Unfortunately, he died at 54, of cancer, well before he got the chance to retire and live out those dreams. That shook me and shaped me and my decisions over the last 21 years. When I have had the chance to do something special I have decided to take those opportunities and those chances. Even if it was something I had to squeak by to do.

As a result of that, I managed to buy my Ferrari and even brought two of my children home from the hospital in that car. My wife was scared to death, but 60 years from now they can tell their grandkids that their first car ride ever was in a Ferrari. I lived in Europe for six years. I now own four Rolexes, including a Daytona, Submariner, Datejust, and Oyster Perpetual. Could I or should I have diverted that money into something else in my life? Maybe I should have, but at this point I am 53 and have about a year and a half until I pass my dads age when he passed.

I have had a LOT of other amazing experiences that I won't go into here, but I have no regrets about those purchases or experiences. I have done more and gone further and accomplished more than I ever imagined I might, and certainly more than my dad did. I have lived out dreams because I took the chance.

I wear my TT Daytona and it gets scratches. My posts here will tell you that I kind of freaked out about it - but the fact is that Rolex says that every Rolex has a story - and that Daytona and the others are telling my story now.

When I am gone my kids will have those watches and they will wear them and it will tell their story, but it is going to be something tangible that will remind them of me as they wear it on their wrists.

PDG
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 08:02 AM   #45
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I felt exactly this way when I bought my first 114060. Modest by most standards on this forum, but to the average Joe that's a lot of cake for a watch. I was very self conscious about when and where it was worn. It really didn't take long for that to subside. The same holds true for the WG Sub. A year ago I bought a 126619 and now I wear it 3 days a week or better with no regrets.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 08:34 AM   #46
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Do what makes YOU happy. If you can afford it, and it will be your daily worn watch I think go for it and do not look back.

I always held back from wearing PM, but now have embraced it and fully enjoy the feeling of wearing it daily. I started with WG pieces, traded towards RG (right now my daily is my 116515) but have not made the step to FULL RG.... will take me time but I am just not there yet.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 08:52 AM   #47
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I'm mentally incapable of spending 40k on a watch. I'd have to be a multi-millionaire to feel comfortable doing it.
alphadweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 09:04 AM   #48
Rico_Brasole
Banned

10 years ago I would have said “buy it, no one will even notice what watch you’re wearing”

These days, current climate of robberies and such, I would probably say your question is truly a valid one and not dumb at all.

Being able to afford is not a concern of yours it seems like. Being able to enjoy it free of worry seems like it’s the issue.

If you do decide to pull the trigger, definitely get some insurance

Rico_Brasole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 09:17 AM   #49
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
One word.

SMURF

TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 09:21 AM   #50
al503
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD40, SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Would I battle with some kind of… buyer’s remorse? Yes, I COULD afford it, (with a little streteching) but that is still a great deal of money (for me), SHOULD I afford it?
My first rolex, a 16610 I bought on a no interest, 6 month same as cash, program the local AD had going on. I had always wanted a sub and I subscribe to the buy once, cry once train of thought.

It was a bit of a stretch as I was just out of undergrad, almost 30 years ago.

Like you, as this is a piece I loved, I never thought about the monthly payments nor how much I paid for it. Same for my 126600 and my 228239.
al503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 10:36 AM   #51
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Life is short, and ends up being shorter for most people than they expect.

Literally, Yolo.
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 10:54 AM   #52
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
I can’t add anything more intelligent than what’s been said. I can say….with some level confidence….you’ll get used to it. I mean that in a positive manner. It’ll become “normal”
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 03:01 PM   #53
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I’ll just leave this picture here for you to ponder Paul. I think you’ll love the piece if you decide to get it. It’s only natural to think about spending this kind of money on a watch. I certainly didn’t buy mine on a whim or impulse. I wear mine almost as my daily and it gives me great pleasure to do so. If you’re taking care of planning for retirement, bills are paid, etc and wearing the watch would bring you joy, there’s no reason not to make the purchase. I had similar emotions to you before buying. Now that I have it, I love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7D45E41F-BAD4-4649-9703-16DF09AFCC24.jpeg (166.0 KB, 289 views)
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 03:43 PM   #54
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss516 View Post
Life is short, and ends up being shorter for most people than they expect.

Literally, Yolo.
Absolutely this. You can always make more money, you can never replace the time lost on missing out on great experiences. Buy the damn watch.
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 04:47 PM   #55
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
I think you should go for it Paul!! I’ve considered trying to “put all my eggs in one basket” for this same piece as I think it’s really something special. The black dial and WG fly under the radar, and those who know will know and appreciate the piece. I too am not rich by any means so I understand giving the money side of it some serious thought, but if you’re at a place where you can make it happen I highly doubt you’d regret it. Also as has been mentioned the grey price is under retail and if you buy out of state with no tax it would save you a significant amount, so then it’s less of a stretch.
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 04:53 PM   #56
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Buy it.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 05:01 PM   #57
Lonehiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
This thread is quite fascinating. The very fact you had to ask means you have doubts and the word ‘stretch’ says it all. But, with this much peer pressure, how can you refuse?
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 09:23 PM   #58
goldmaes
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch and you will certainly enjoy it when you wear it. The reality is that 99% of thieves will have no clue that it is a gold Rolex since it is WG. It is kind of a if you know you know. If I am concerned about where I am going, I do not not wear my YG Sub, however I may wear an AP Royal Oak Diver or a UN Tourbillon watch to still enjoy what’s on my wrist, but no common thief would have a clue that they are worth anything.

From a purely financial perspective only you can determine that. Keep us posted on your decision.
Franck Muller Vanguard Yachting
goldmaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 10:46 PM   #59
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
The WG sub is under the radar and wear mine frequently without a thought. it feels great on the wrist and I never see people looking at it. I do feel what you describe when I wear my platinum Daytona with baguettes. Being twice the price makes me think about where I wear it. It is more blingy due to the dial and the baguettes but ultimately when it is on my wrist I forget about it when out and about. Looking forward to seeing you get your grail.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 11:02 PM   #60
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Your post makes perfect sense and I agree with the others that someone who appreciates having one nice thing will truly appreciate having one that’s even more special to them.
That first scratch will make you feel sick but keep it on, add more and truly enjoy it, I think you’ll be glad you did.
As far as how comfortable you are around others, I guess the question is ask is how many will know or care?
I’m in the military so luxury watches are not something most wear, especially not in uniform. Most people just don’t know and don’t care, and since I’m wearing them for myself, it rarely crosses my mind until I read posts similar to this.

It’s easy for me to recommend stretching the budget to buy something that expensive, but I’d be willing to bet you’ll be truly glad you did.
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote