The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 January 2023, 01:47 PM   #1
SS2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust II 116334
Icon20 Rolex Prices - New & Pre-Owned - What Does the Future Hold???

There’s a lot of discussion on the forums as it relates to what’s happening on the secondary market (prices falling, etc.) but there’s not much discussion on what’s happening at AD’s and what the near and long term future will hold…

For instance, I bought a new 40mm Sub Date from an AD in March 2020 for $8,950 plus tax.

I sold it later in the year for $10,500 after deciding I wanted a Datejust 41 instead. The market then went on fire and the same watch was selling for $14-$15k.

Fast forward to today and I just bought a new 41mm Sub Date from an AD for $10,250 + tax. 13% increase in roughly 3 years.

Some questions…

1) How far will the secondary market go? Will a used Sub end up selling for less than brand new? What about new Rolexes from the gray market vs. AD?

2) Will deflation cause AD’s to offer discounts off MSRP like they did 10 years ago? For example, what happens to the watch market if we go into a recession? Even a mild one…?

3) What impact will the certified pre owned program at Rolex cause on the market?

Would love to hear your thoughts!!!
SS2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 01:53 PM   #2
serenerabbit
Banned

Watch: VTNR
Are you a Soap Opera writer?

My thoughts are enjoy the watch and stop obsessing over the market. If you can't be satisfied by the watches alone, then you're wasting your time.
serenerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 01:55 PM   #3
SS2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust II 116334
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenerabbit View Post
Are you a Soap Opera writer?

My thoughts are enjoy the watch and stop obsessing over the market. If you can't be satisfied by the watches alone, then you're wasting your time.
LOL! This was just food for thought. I’m building out a collection, but it’s interesting to see the market play out in real time. I’m in the real estate business, this is what I live for! 😂
SS2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 02:04 PM   #4
serenerabbit
Banned

Watch: VTNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2020 View Post
LOL! This was just food for thought. I’m building out a collection, but it’s interesting to see the market play out in real time. I’m in the real estate business, this is what I live for! 😂
Seeing the market play out and incessantly trying to predict it in the short term aren't the same.

I understand where you're coming from but I think you're robbing yourself of the real pleasure of watches if the market aspect takes precedence.
serenerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 04:14 PM   #5
MinMay
Banned

Rolex Prices - New & Pre-Owned - What Does the Future Hold???

Buy it because you want a Rolex! Too many people complain about the price and not being able to buy a Rolex at retail, but when the prices fall they run away or lose interest due to falling prices
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 07:34 PM   #6
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Social media, especially Instagram and then TikTok changed the game forever. The amount of hype generated on those platforms has directly contributed, and continues to contribute to the current situation where stock is generally unavailable, watches are being treated as investments to be flipped etc. Unfortunately, I don't see the situation going back to pre-social media hype days.
Old 31 January 2023, 07:46 PM   #7
geoffreyis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Dude. You are talking about a few k swings in either direction on a 10k piece of jewelry. Stop worrying about it and enjoy the watch. If you are worried about values you might consider talking to your investment advisor about other investment options in the stock market.
geoffreyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 09:58 PM   #8
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

At some point there will be an economic event that causes the value of expensive watches to plummet. When? IDK, but it has happened before and will happen again. Just enjoy your watch.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 10:23 PM   #9
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

All of those topics were spoken about about at nauseam in separate threads.
Old 31 January 2023, 10:26 PM   #10
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Welcome to the forum
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 10:27 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I look at the market on a decades long time frame. Some of the watches that I own that were purchase 5-10 years ago have seen significant increases in value. Some of the watches that were purchased in the last few years have ridden the wave and adjusted up and then back down. If you buy what you want and will wear and enjoy, time will take care of the values. My life experience tells me that almost nothing gets cheaper in the luxury goods market.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 10:35 PM   #12
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
As has been said, there is a separate part of the forum to address trends and speculations in watch prices. Several people there “know” exactly what will happen in the future. My belief is that short term trends aside - over time, the value of in demand, luxury goods will increase. Actually, when I buy a watch, I have no expectation that it will increase in value, but rather that it’s likely but not certain that it will retain much of its value.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 11:03 PM   #13
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Not sure how old you are OP, but we've witnessed several heating/cooling cycles of the used watch market over my lifetime of collecting (3-4 decades). Admittedly, the most recent was the craziest I’ve seen. However, onlookers can become spoilt when unsustainable 4x, 5x, 6x multiples of retail price are paid for watches. It should be obvious that it couldn’t possibly continue. The fact some Rolex watches are still selling healthily over retail is testament to the brand and overall solidness of the consumer following.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 11:17 PM   #14
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystro View Post
all of those topics were spoken about about at nauseam in separate threads.
+1
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 11:46 PM   #15
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Let me get back to you ...

amh is offline   Reply With Quote