The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 28 January 2023, 01:48 PM   #1
subdownunder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
Too Many Limited Editions

Anyone agree with me that Grand Seiko is killing their brand by continually releasing suspect Limited Editions instead of focusing on a few key styles of watches to define the brand?

Omega do the same but still have 2 or 3 models that are the staple of the brand.

I would argue that GS needs a couple of staples and put all their energy resolving their thickness, bracelets, case sizes and ergonomics.

If they did this they would rule the Luxury watch market.
subdownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 04:40 PM   #2
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Yep.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=831375

I’ll come back to this post in a year again and see how GS is doing.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 06:21 PM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Not at all. More watches, more choice.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 08:55 PM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Not at all. More watches, more choice.
Same here. Many great watches, pretty much all available, LE or not...just find one you like and buy it. That's my idea of watch collecting, not smooching an AD and buying jewelry I don't want in the hope of being considered for a Submariner.
Old 28 January 2023, 11:24 PM   #5
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdownunder View Post
Anyone agree with me that Grand Seiko is killing their brand by continually releasing suspect Limited Editions instead of focusing on a few key styles of watches to define the brand?

Omega do the same but still have 2 or 3 models that are the staple of the brand.

I would argue that GS needs a couple of staples and put all their energy resolving their thickness, bracelets, case sizes and ergonomics.

If they did this they would rule the Luxury watch market.
I agree. Our long time AD is also a GS AD. We were in last weekend as we each made watch purchases. The last 2 years we have purchased 4 or 5 GS from him. I really love the brand. It’s my favourite brand.

In talking with him the constant LE’s and sup par bracelets are hurting the brand. In fact, GS has been recalling watches that have sat for so long. Most brands do this though at times. We have 3 GS dealers very close to where I am now. I know them all very well. The brand is not selling. And I’m in a high volume area for watches.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 12:56 AM   #6
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
When I first got into GS/Seiko I tried to keep up with the various models and releases. After a time I just went with it and noted the new releases, especially the ones that appealed to me. I have tried to figure out the marketing and production plan but it is beyond me. What is, "too much", a difficult question depending on what you desire as an outcome for sales. I have just accepted it and will buy what appeals to me. Best I can do.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 01:48 AM   #7
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Seiko also has a lot of models and the brand has been around for more than 140 years. I don't think all watch manufacturers conduct business and sell their watches the same way. I like Seiko and Grand Seiko for what they bring to horology, and it's a totally different experience shopping at Grand Seiko. You see a watch on display, you can buy it and enjoy it immediately.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 06:24 PM   #8
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
I agree. Our long time AD is also a GS AD. We were in last weekend as we each made watch purchases. The last 2 years we have purchased 4 or 5 GS from him. I really love the brand. It’s my favourite brand.

In talking with him the constant LE’s and sup par bracelets are hurting the brand. In fact, GS has been recalling watches that have sat for so long. Most brands do this though at times. We have 3 GS dealers very close to where I am now. I know them all very well. The brand is not selling. And I’m in a high volume area for watches.

I can back you up on this as we run in the same circle of dealers and in this area, the GS brand @ retail is fading somewhat. Got off to a solid start..now not so much.

I do wonder if the big chain in the area will be moving on from GS to free up the space for something that will move the needle more?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 07:56 PM   #9
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
...Our long time AD is also a GS AD...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I can back you up on this as we run in the same circle of dealers...
No worrier. The ADs you are referring do not need to do anything...and here's why:

This Christmas, the Seiko Watch Corporation released a global statement that they are restructuring the whole distribution chain globally. Distribution, marketing and PR are to be handled solely by GS.

They have already started in Sweden and Norway and will be fully in effect from April 2023.

This restructure started slowly already back in 2020 ( NEWS ) and this next step in 2023 is exactly as many other brands have done and is currently doing.

Your local ADs will have less end less inventory from even more brands in the years to come.
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 09:42 PM   #10
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
no, not really. More choices.
Some are misses, some are wins, just like the watches put out by any other company.
Old 30 January 2023, 12:28 AM   #11
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post
No worrier. The ADs you are referring do not need to do anything...and here's why:

This Christmas, the Seiko Watch Corporation released a global statement that they are restructuring the whole distribution chain globally. Distribution, marketing and PR are to be handled solely by GS.

They have already started in Sweden and Norway and will be fully in effect from April 2023.

This restructure started slowly already back in 2020 ( NEWS ) and this next step in 2023 is exactly as many other brands have done and is currently doing.

Your local ADs will have less end less inventory from even more brands in the years to come.
I also worry about the strategies - Not so much the LE and pieces themselves, but the distribution strategies -

I know that in North America, they only want to be in their own boutiques, or Multibrand boutiques that have Rolex (or Omega/breitling etc).

Their thought is that it will create a subconscious association, and hopefully, a would-be Rolex buyer turned away from Rolex will opt for a GS...

two problems that I see -

1. Some are buying the GS as bundle to get the Rolex - then selling the GS at a discount - they take a loss on the GS, but are still ahead compared to Rolex grey prices- the more discounted GS show up on Forums/Chrono etc will create a 'discount-brand' image..

2. when Rolex becomes more readily available (anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves) no "one watch guy" is going to choose GS over the Crown...

I think the Chasing Rolex strategy is a bit short-sighted.. GS was off to a running start, but this is a long marathon, you can't sprint it..
Old 30 January 2023, 04:19 PM   #12
Lol-x
Facilitator

Yeah, and the worst of all is those limited editions just are frustrating to obtain because if you do want one (and I only have 1 limited edition Seiko not GS, I learnt my lesson) they are not easy to buy and the price is ever increasing up and up!

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 05:21 PM   #13
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Many of us complain about GS way around limited editions. But then when one is patient enough there comes such a magnificent edition like this one. Truly limited, with hand crafted dial by a renowned Japanese artisan. Great job GS.

bibbi
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 07:19 PM   #14
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbi View Post
Many of us complain about GS way around limited editions. But then when one is patient enough there comes such a magnificent edition like this one. Truly limited, with hand crafted dial by a renowned Japanese artisan. Great job GS.

bibbi
This one does look amazing. What reference is it?
Old 31 January 2023, 10:12 PM   #15
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Great looking watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 12:33 AM   #16
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkholeninja View Post
This one does look amazing. What reference is it?

https://grandseikogs9club.com/chroni...rushi-sbgw295/

Old 1 February 2023, 12:53 AM   #17
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Awww those hand-applied enamel indices

Hope this one pops out in our boutique here.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 01:10 AM   #18
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I love it. Unsure if I love it at 13,800. I realize the dial is hand made but they are cranking out 500 so it doesn't exactly seem rare.
Old 1 February 2023, 01:22 AM   #19
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I love it. Unsure if I love it at 13,800. I realize the dial is hand made but they are cranking out 500 so it doesn't exactly seem rare.
I agree. At this price point I would've expected fewer than 250 pieces, ideally 100 or 150.
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 01:46 AM   #20
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

I like Grand Seiko quite a bit as a brand. The one GS watch I own is not a limited edition, rather a "US only" edition. I must admit, this type of thing is silly and IMHO not good for the brand:

mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 02:02 AM   #21
kwingy
"TRF" Member

There are so many that you can't buy them all which is kinda the beauty. You miss one, there be another one just as nice and similar around the corner.
kwingy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 02:32 AM   #22
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

This new one is quite nice, but I'm shocked they're asking 13k for a titanium piece. GS is really moving up the pricing ladder...
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 02:48 AM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Interesting information, thank you
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 04:28 AM   #24
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
14k for an SBGW is too much. It's a nice dial and I like it. But it's way overpriced IMO
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 05:48 AM   #25
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Taken out of context this SBGW295 may seem ridiculously expensive.

But hey, there are 3 artisan skills employed here: one to make the urishi dial, the other with the maki-e indices and the last one to produce this fantastic strap. With worldwide inflation rising like crazy the price is no shock to me. This isn’t just another SBGW release.

Old 1 February 2023, 06:09 AM   #26
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Are you implying that GS will no longer be available at “normal” ADs? Any idea since when in Europe?

bibbi
Old 1 February 2023, 07:49 AM   #27
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbi View Post
Are you implying that GS will no longer be available at “normal” ADs? Any idea since when in Europe?

bibbi
Or, might the other luxury brands taking a page from Rolex? Since they can't just turn up voracious demand, they will dial back supply, a scarcity for some models, and create an air of exclusivity.
Old 1 February 2023, 08:05 AM   #28
levvity
"TRF" Member

SBGW295 looks fantastic. Definitely on my radar.
levvity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 08:25 AM   #29
bibbi
"TRF" Member

https://youtu.be/zO3GpoXJf1k

bibbi
Old 1 February 2023, 08:34 AM   #30
Cru Jones

The more I read about the piece, the more I like. True passion. Love it.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/intr...seiko-sbgw295/