The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 January 2023, 09:44 PM   #61
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Not since I bought from a local AD in FL in ‘97….my first 116610, then a DJ a couple years later. Had the Sub for 10+ yrs and the DJ for a couple yrs. Then a mixture of watches for the next 7-8 yrs before coming back to Rolex and finding TRF. Tried the AD route a few times since 2014-2015, but getting new from grey back then was easier. Then after I established status with a few TRF trusted sellers, I’ve just bought new or pre-owned from them. I’ve just factored in the grey cost after the madness started, as I wasn’t playing the AD games after the crazy watch world hype began.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 07:10 AM   #62
cloudken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmaes View Post
Your point is fair and valid without being rude like the previous poster. The past several years everything has been hard to get and truth be told, you never really know if you are actually on “a list” or not. My work has me moving quite a bit so it makes establishing a relationship with a singular AD that much harder. I was more than happy to unexpectedly find one.

As far as saving money by going grey, I could only save by purchasing used vs new. There is not a single watch on Chrono24 that is less and even on Moda the pricing isn’t better and I don’t have to worry if it is legit. Additionally, I really don’t care what the flippers do with a watch like mine. It isn’t any less desirable than a more sought after SS model, there are just less people who can play at that price level so the demand is less.
Good points on your end as well.

Its an interesting watch in that I always compared it to the WG and YG blue dial models with those in the 35k range and plenty sitting on the market. The YG black should be in the same bucket, although I believe its the dark horse of the three PM subs.

From most comments I see its the YG blue and WG that gets more attention because theyre more unique in the color scheme. Many will look past the 126618LN because black and YG you just have so many options like the TT sub, TT SD43, Daytonas, YM42, SkyDs, DD40s, DJs, heck even Exp1's are in black and YG. So its less desirable not because of the watch itself but because of the catalog and they may make less as well because of it. Its available, just not a lot have asked for it.

It should be a sleeper but its been in production since the 60s so cant really call it that. Personally I like it and I would take the 126618LN over any of the options listed except an OF Daytona black dial (not paul newman), and even that is close. They just need to make this with an OF, some endlinks and be compatible with a bracelet and then the demand will increase.
cloudken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 07:48 AM   #63
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

In December after Christmas I was offered a James Cameron, a DD Rose/Olive with diamond bezel, and DD YG Onyx Baguette dial. These were in the case and available to anyone - all gone in two days including a lot of tiny ladies DJs.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 07:50 AM   #64
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
I was offered a slate gray Datejust a year ago, but it wasn't what I was looking for at that moment. I almost regret not buying it as it was beautiful. I really wanted a GMT, so I held out. No GMT yet....

PDG
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 07:55 AM   #65
GolfJunkie

Watch: 252
I picked up a sub as a walk-in at an AD I’d never been to in early December.

Got very lucky!
Old 31 January 2023, 08:27 AM   #66
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfJunkie View Post
I picked up a sub as a walk-in at an AD I’d never been to in early December.

Got very lucky!
Really? Was it in the case (highly doubtful), or did you strike up a conversation, specifically mention it, and then it just materialized after that.
Old 31 January 2023, 08:33 AM   #67
iluvwatches11
"TRF" Member

I just wrote about my first walk-in purchase experience entitled "You won't believe me..." today. Long story short, yes, I walked in and bought a daytona SS panda with no prior purchase history and I've never met the AD before prior to that day. Miracles can happen.
iluvwatches11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 08:39 AM   #68
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwatches11 View Post
I just wrote about my first walk-in purchase experience entitled "You won't believe me..." today. Long story short, yes, I walked in and bought a daytona SS panda with no prior purchase history and I've never met the AD before prior to that day. Miracles can happen.

This was a walk in. I believe you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 January 2023, 10:36 AM   #69
GMTmatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by maodonald View Post
Yes Super Bowl Sunday 2021. Walked into a boutique and was offered a 126610LV as my very first Rolex.
WOW don’t hear this much!
Old 31 January 2023, 10:46 AM   #70
Yobber76

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
February 2018 walked in to an AD in the Chicago area and bought a Sub ND that was in the case just as the hype shortage was taking off
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 11:25 AM   #71
GolfJunkie

Watch: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
Really? Was it in the case (highly doubtful), or did you strike up a conversation, specifically mention it, and then it just materialized after that.
No, not in the case.

I emailed the AD in October telling them i was looking for a Sub or a BLNR and would be visiting in December. I received a pretty generic response from an SA that included pictures and a description of each watch taken from the Rolex website. He also said to let him know about a week before visiting. I emailed him 5 days before my visit just to remind him and didn’t receive a response to that email. I still stopped by the store and they had every spots model you can think of as “exhibition only”. I tried on the Sub and BLNR, amongst others, and after about 5 minutes the SA asks “so, which one do you like?” I said the sub and he told me to sit tight while he checks what’s available. Within a few minutes he came out with a brand new sub on the tray and the rest is history. (Still curios if i would’ve had the same result if i had picked the BLNR)
Old 31 January 2023, 03:11 PM   #72
Carguy87

Watch: JC 126660
Yes got my James Cameron (the only Rolex I wanted at the time) as a walk in on vacation in March of ‘22.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=844230
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 03:13 PM   #73
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Always makes me laugh when someone is a loud mouth online, when in fact we all know what they are like in real life. When you are interested in a watch and can’t find it for years, it’s a good day when offered the watch. No one on here asked for your snark.
Thank you for your love and support! Have a wonderful day!
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 09:46 PM   #74
kittansett
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
I promise, things are just as scarce in Indiana as Florida.
Indiana is not easy. Good luck!
kittansett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 12:54 AM   #75
Jm95809
"TRF" Member

My ad a 31 mm dj in stock as of yesterday
Jm95809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 01:18 AM   #76
rfpmt9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjasaurus View Post
Jeez, I’ve been lucky. Walk-in buy black date Sub 2019 (home based AD, no prior purchase history), two-tone bluesy 2019 (out of town AD, no purchase history), Home based AD: Batman 2021, YG DD 2022. The only thing we had to wait for was a DJ 36 for my wife. Waited a couple months.
Out of curiosity - Clarkson or Simon's? I'm in STL, too, and have had zero luck.
rfpmt9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 01:18 AM   #77
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm95809 View Post
My ad a 31 mm dj in stock as of yesterday

Grab it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 02:38 AM   #78
Idaho
"TRF" Member

I have but that was in 1983, 1990 and 2000 when dealers had plenty of them in display cases. So doesn’t count in todays market.
Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 05:22 AM   #79
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
116610LN 2019
216570 Polar 2019
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 05:45 AM   #80
Livinlrge
Banned

2014...Bought my blnr for $6750.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Livinlrge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 06:36 AM   #81
Tbird
"TRF" Member

Yes, in October 2021... me and my wife, we saw the watch I wanted in the window, just went in to try it on. Watch had been in since 2-3 days before. No appointment, just a Saturday wearing normal clothes, a bag of fruit and vegs with us from the market that day. True story! An hour or so later I had my watch and a story to remember!
Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 07:15 AM   #82
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
2018 - how times fly
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 09:20 AM   #83
Exracer1985
"TRF" Member

Yes walked into my local AD in December 1976 and bought a 6265 Daytona for a Christmas present. It was $500 but got a 20% discount =$400 plus tax.
And I still have it and Oh a my buddy bought the other one.
I wore it everyday until august of 2022 when I walked into a different local AD that had a SD43 TT and bought it.
Yeah I know the first one doesn’t pertain to the situation today but the second does.
Exracer1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 08:31 AM   #84
maodonald
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTmatt View Post
WOW don’t hear this much!
Yeah no one believed me, including my own brother. Then within a month, I was offered a DeepSea James Cameron which I've glad accepted as well. I will never forget that experience!
maodonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 08:41 AM   #85
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Has anyone made a walk-in purchase???

Quote:
I had the amazing fortune right after Christmas, to walk into an AD while wearing my 116655 Yachtmaster, struck up a conversation about watches and 10 minutes later was offered a PM Submarinier (126618LN). I know I was incredibly lucky, but is this unheard of or have any of you had similar experiences recently? I’d love to hear the stories and what you received.
Really, we have all had these experiences back in 1997 and 2010 or even 2018 early on, but recently as the OP originally asked? Not too many. It does happen and it looks like it's starting up again since all the free Pandemic money is gone. Let's hope that it continues and picks up in momentum, and enough of the 1997 reminiscing, we all have those memories.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 09:25 AM   #86
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinlrge View Post
Not in Florida yet...heading to Indiana and Colorado next week and maybe I can lucky. I have specific models in mind so unless the stars aligned not sure it would matter but maybe!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Old 2 February 2023, 01:49 PM   #87
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Walked into my AD for first time in Jul 2020 and was offered and bought a Deepsea. Rest is history. Since I've picked up a CHNR and BLRO and ceramic Tudor. Life is good..lol
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 02:00 PM   #88
Virologist
"TRF" Member

I got this at an AD in the Middle East on a walk in. Spent a bit of time in there and they took this out of the safe. Love the eastern arabic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-0213.jpg (132.3 KB, 258 views)
Virologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 02:01 PM   #89
trout_thumper21
"TRF" Member

Yep…116710LN
trout_thumper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 02:21 PM   #90
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
INCREDIBLE, congrats to both of you. Wow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
This was a walk in. I believe you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virologist View Post
I got this at an AD in the Middle East on a walk in. Spent a bit of time in there and they took this out of the safe. Love the eastern arabic.