The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 January 2023, 08:14 AM   #1
TheVision
"TRF" Member

Icon13 My AD "As of this year, we are NO longer allocating sports model to new customers"

I'm on the waitlist for motif blue/green dial DJ41 but interested in the new Exp2. Was in store last night (rep showed me some other config for DJ and a customer's green dial DJ36). I enquired wait times for Exp2 and he said store mgr has told them that they will NO longer allocate any sports models to new customers (I have zero purchase history). Not a biggie as I really like the DJ (big fan of blue dials).

But another bummer ..this is a VERY high foot traffic AD in the mall and even for sub/gmt, they had to close out waitlist last year due to extreme high # of walks-in.

I asked my rep what would get me on a Exp2 waitlist and he said for starters, they 'consider' Tudor as a stepping stone. I suck at math but spend $4k just so I can buy a $9k watch as a blessing from the AD? May as well go grey market since Exp2 is around $11-$13k anyways..lol.

Irony was I saw a gentlemen picking up a gmt in another booth wearing a iWatch so not sure how he got one (unless hes a repeat customer, etc).

So much for people saying AD situation has improved for this year..lol.
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 08:17 AM   #2
Aman08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
I'm on the waitlist for motif blue/green dial DJ41 but interested in the new Exp2. Was in store last night (rep showed me some other config for DJ and a customer's green dial DJ36). I enquired wait times for Exp2 and he said store mgr has told them that they will NO longer allocate any sports models to new customers (I have zero purchase history). Not a biggie as I really like the DJ (big fan of blue dials).

But another bummer ..this is a VERY high foot traffic AD in the mall and even for sub/gmt, they had to close out waitlist last year due to extreme high # of walks-in.

I asked my rep what would get me on a Exp2 waitlist and he said for starters, they 'consider' Tudor as a stepping stone. I suck at math but spend $4k just so I can buy a $9k watch as a blessing from the AD? May as well go grey market since Exp2 is around $11-$13k anyways..lol.

Irony was I saw a gentlemen picking up a gmt in another booth wearing a iWatch so not sure how he got one (unless hes a repeat customer, etc).

Blue motif dial is a great choice. Picked mine up 3 weeks ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7D8EE6FC-EF48-40B4-9C56-C6E8F1E458E5.jpeg (99.5 KB, 1870 views)
Aman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 08:28 AM   #3
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

I am thinking it's just that AD and their preference not to allocate sports models to clients? Or, maybe that might have been a way to tell you that they're not gonna allocate one for YOU?

Bottom line is that they're going get sports models in all year long. What are they gonna do? They're just gonna go straight into the case and it's just a matter of happen to be in the right place at the right time for the lucky buyer(s)? However, the DJ's are held back and clients are called on those allocations? That doesn't make sense. I suspect that there IS a sports model allocation, but only for established clients.

I would try asking for an Explorer II at another AD if this one is not willing to help you.
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 08:32 AM   #4
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman08 View Post
Blue motif dial is a great choice. Picked mine up 3 weeks ago.
Blue Motif dial is a beautiful one! I have been asking my AD for one of these, but nothing yet. I have actually never seen one in person. Congrats on that beauty! Enjoy!
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 08:43 AM   #5
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

It’s funny how a few years ago the DJ’s collected dust in the display.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 08:51 AM   #6
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I enquired wait times for Exp2 and he said store mgr has told them that they will NO longer allocate any sports models to new customers (I have zero purchase history).
The SA's polite way of telling you that YOU will not be allocated one.

Find a new AD.
Old 30 January 2023, 09:57 AM   #7
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
What a crummy experience. Move on.
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 10:13 AM   #8
MinMay
Banned

My SA said demand is still strong as ever before. New watches coming in are already spoken for years.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 10:14 AM   #9
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Go and find a new AD ASAP! Not worth your time. The EXPII is barely above retail now even on this forum from grey dealers, there's no point dealing with AD BS just to get an Explorer...
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 10:16 AM   #10
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
Quote:

And the bigger Irony is you judged a person by the watch he wears....

Biggest mistake ever.
Old 30 January 2023, 10:18 AM   #11
Jimmy 2 Times
"TRF" Member

One of the AD’s here in Naples told me that only “locals” can get onto the list for a Rolex. They even checked my ID to verify I live here. I guess it is a resort type town with a lot of vacationers.
Jimmy 2 Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 10:20 AM   #12
yankeeromeo
2024 Pledge Member

I get the 4k on a tudor... but that tudor will be a lovely watch and probably not lose more than 30%

I've played grey and AD field.

As a new customer, you will need to build up to a rolex that seems the way now.
I explained in a few other posts I was lucky my jeweller ended up getting AD status so suddenly I have 10/15k r3fent spend history

I've only been offered a sub TT which I declined and I bought the no date Sub.

I do plan on spending non Rolex at that particular AD again but would hope to achieve something like a Sky dweller or a Daytona eventually.
yankeeromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 10:22 AM   #13
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:

EXTORTION

Buy on grey market and go back to AD wearing the EXP II. Loudly tell the SA you paid $23k for the watch and paying another $21k for a DJ when the grey dealer locates one ! Maintain a 50/50 balance of curse words during the visit.

This happens because we tolerate it ! Since the beginning of time and until the end of time.

Old 30 January 2023, 11:19 AM   #14
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
My AD from whom I purchased two new watches in the last one year, including a Starbucks in an explorer one:

“ we are only selling watches to new customers, want to introduce new people to the brand.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 11:21 AM   #15
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:

Two of my best purchases, the tutor from an AD, the Explorer, polar gray:

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 11:29 AM   #16
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
It is what it is unfortunately. If they only get x amount of sports models a year which probably wont fill the requests of existing customers for that year, why would they allocate one to a new customer?
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 11:38 AM   #17
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I need to write my AD a big thank you letter. I wouldn’t put up with some of these ADs out there, would rather not have a Rolex.
Old 30 January 2023, 12:16 PM   #18
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I got my Daytona and GMT both when I wore a iWatch in.
dnd2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 12:18 PM   #19
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

My AD said the same, they want to refocus back on the folks that are repeat customers that actually buy gift for spouses and non Rolex. They tried selling Subs, GMTs, and other sport models to first timers thinking they would come back for other stuff...
Old 30 January 2023, 12:23 PM   #20
Cleveland Rocks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd2984 View Post
My AD said the same, they want to refocus back on the folks that are repeat customers that actually buy gift for spouses and non Rolex. They tried selling Subs, GMTs, and other sport models to first timers thinking they would come back for other stuff...
As if clients owe that to the AD…to come back for other stuff. I’m happy to be a repeat customer…for watches I actually WANT.
Cleveland Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 12:34 PM   #21
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Rocks View Post
As if clients owe that to the AD…to come back for other stuff. I’m happy to be a repeat customer…for watches I actually WANT.

I really want to know how many repeat clients buy jewelry all the time ???

like how often does anyone buy jewelry. I may buy a bracelet here and there or a ring but that’s 1-3k range maybe once rather every couple years. How many people consistently drop 10s of thousands on jewelry? really having a hard time believing that.

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 12:36 PM   #22
southparkclyde
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsdorfNDavis View Post
The SA's polite way of telling you that YOU will not be allocated one.

Find a new AD.
100% this.
southparkclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 12:45 PM   #23
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
I suck at math but spend $4k just so I can buy a $9k watch as a blessing from the AD? May as well go grey market since Exp2 is around $11-$13k anyways..lol.
Help understand this logic.
You rather pay grey market price for one watch instead of paying same amount at AD which would yield you two watches?
Not only two watches, but a bit more of that coveted AD “relationship”.
Surely there must be a Tudor you like.
Old 30 January 2023, 12:49 PM   #24
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post

like how often does anyone buy jewelry. I may buy a bracelet here and there or a ring but that’s 1-3k range maybe once rather every couple years. How many people consistently drop 10s of thousands on jewelry? really having a hard time believing that.

Count your blessings you are not with my wife.
Recently cost me $18,000 for a 40th anniversary ring and five months later, a $30,000 Hublot. Yeah, SA loves me.
I have been told it’s cheaper to keep her but I think I’m being BS’ed.
Old 30 January 2023, 12:49 PM   #25
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

We do, or my wife does. Probably twice a year gets earings or something small. All her watches are non Rolex except 1.
Old 30 January 2023, 12:50 PM   #26
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
I heard the same thing from my AD. He said it a bit sheepishly as I have been a loyal customer for about twenty years. He can kiss my a$$ if he wants any more business from me.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 01:48 PM   #27
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

Move on bro. By a crappy Tudor just to get put on the list for an Exp2 that isn’t guaranteed to come to you

1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 02:05 PM   #28
kittansett
"TRF" Member

What they say and what they do usually don't match. Money talks.
kittansett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 02:18 PM   #29
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:

I’m with you on this. Oh, sure, there are exceptions, fools who pay out a $#!T load for jewelry they don’t necessarily want; but I don’t think there are very many of those people who actually leverage that in to a new Rolex sports model.
Old 30 January 2023, 02:29 PM   #30
rg9390
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995akcoop View Post
Move on bro. By a crappy Tudor just to get put on the list for an Exp2 that isn’t guaranteed to come to you

If your AD gives you enough assurance that you are guaranteed on the list, then it might be worth while. But its the risk we all played to build the first step in the AD relationship.
rg9390 is offline   Reply With Quote