The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 January 2023, 03:14 PM   #31
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
No AD has allocated me an SS sports model either. Must become "good cu$tomer" first. Been policy everywhere last 5 years.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 03:30 PM   #32
sah
"TRF" Member

Watch: OmegaPO, Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
I'm on the waitlist for motif blue/green dial DJ41 but interested in the new Exp2. Was in store last night (rep showed me some other config for DJ and a customer's green dial DJ36). I enquired wait times for Exp2 and he said store mgr has told them that they will NO longer allocate any sports models to new customers (I have zero purchase history). Not a biggie as I really like the DJ (big fan of blue dials).

But another bummer ..this is a VERY high foot traffic AD in the mall and even for sub/gmt, they had to close out waitlist last year due to extreme high # of walks-in.

I asked my rep what would get me on a Exp2 waitlist and he said for starters, they 'consider' Tudor as a stepping stone. I suck at math but spend $4k just so I can buy a $9k watch as a blessing from the AD? May as well go grey market since Exp2 is around $11-$13k anyways..lol.

Irony was I saw a gentlemen picking up a gmt in another booth wearing a iWatch so not sure how he got one (unless hes a repeat customer, etc).

So much for people saying AD situation has improved for this year..lol.
Is the AD in Roseville?
sah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 07:09 PM   #33
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I had one AD tell me the same - wanted me to buy silverware for the home as the manager used it to inform their decision and they had to have something to base it on…

Walked out and paid less than 10% premium grey. Got the watch immediately and with the recent MSRP price increase and cash back on credit card it’s closer to a 5% premium. It’s hardly a new release Daytona - for the sake of £400-£500, it’s just not worth wasting the time, energy and money.

Mine was only about 4 days old when I got it. Hard to believe it’s worth it at all to flip these any more.
Mr Ben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 07:14 PM   #34
rg9390
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS
I don't think many AD would offer sports models to their new customers anyway last year, or the year before.... probably since 2020?
rg9390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 07:51 PM   #35
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Yeah, my Bay Area AD told me the same thing.
Then I found another AD who sold me a GMT as a first watch.

Time for a new AD.
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 07:54 PM   #36
gnardex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LN - 126600
same in Italy,
if you are not a client, no way to enter a list for SS watches
gnardex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 10:49 PM   #37
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
My SA(Manager) just told me that they are now limiting purchases to one per year. I have spent over 200k in the past 3 yrs so this was surprising to me.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 10:59 PM   #38
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddodoc View Post
My SA(Manager) just told me that they are now limiting purchases to one per year. I have spent over 200k in the past 3 yrs so this was surprising to me.
Was this a Watches of Switzerland AD?
dnd2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 11:14 PM   #39
onyourbikes
"TRF" Member

They'll be the ones begging for customers soon enough.
The world of pain that these places will face is coming. The economy is in the toilet, and despite governments spending like drunken sailors to hide it, it is bad. The middle class is being decimated.

Pretty soon these arsehole dealers will end up with no customers. The good ones see the writing on the wall and are starting to work with those who have paid their bills long before the hype of the last few years.
onyourbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 11:18 PM   #40
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddodoc View Post
Same. I have also spent a bit and my AD only allows me 1 professional model per year. Everyone celebrates New Year but I celebrate mine for an entirely different reason which only me and my AD know
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 11:22 PM   #41
tifosi
"TRF" Member

So if they aren't allocating them to what I would consider a big spender ($200k like above) and no one else can get them....who are they selling them to??
Old 30 January 2023, 11:49 PM   #42
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
My AD "As of this year, we are NO longer allocating sports model to new customers"
At least he is an honest AD.

I wish more would simply do this. Stop the games
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 12:01 AM   #43
Fuller116
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I have also been told popular SS models cannot be requested from a WoS retailer. I have a SS model on request from nearly two years ago but I currently cannot request anymore 'in demand' models. (I have a purchase history too)

I always thought I was being lied too but have been told 'it's out of their hands'.

UK based.
Fuller116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 12:06 AM   #44
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
I really want to know how many repeat clients buy jewelry all the time ???

like how often does anyone buy jewelry. I may buy a bracelet here and there or a ring but that’s 1-3k range maybe once rather every couple years. How many people consistently drop 10s of thousands on jewelry? really having a hard time believing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wish it weren’t true but my safe says otherwise. I just bought a Wellendorff men’s bracelet for myself from my AD, it was quite expensive. They release limited edition pieces with set production just like watches.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 12:07 AM   #45
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Not sure what the iwatch has to do with anything.

You’re not getting a sports model, find a new AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 01:17 AM   #46
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Honestly, and with due respect, I'm not sure what people expect from their ADs. If you owned one would you reward your best customers or just some walk-in you'll never see again. There's your answer
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 01:28 AM   #47
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
So if they aren't allocating them to what I would consider a big spender ($200k like above) and no one else can get them....who are they selling them to??
Just what I was thinking!
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 01:48 AM   #48
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigars&Watches View Post
Honestly, and with due respect, I'm not sure what people expect from their ADs. If you owned one would you reward your best customers or just some walk-in you'll never see again. There's your answer
Preferential treatment for your best customers is fine - this is why some get a black Amex and some make do with platinum. Maybe some people get a drink on the house or a 10% off voucher when they go to their favourite restaurant and a casual diner does not.

It’s hard to think of many examples where people are told to buy a product they don’t want to be able to access the one they do want. Which may or may not then appear once they’ve handed over money.

The first is rewarding loyal customers and is good business; the second is at best taking advantage of people and at worst ripping them off.
Mr Ben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 01:56 AM   #49
Cleveland Rocks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I wish it weren’t true but my safe says otherwise. I just bought a Wellendorff men’s bracelet for myself from my AD, it was quite expensive. They release limited edition pieces with set production just like watches.
More power to you...if you really wanted that Wellendorff bracelet.
Cleveland Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 01:59 AM   #50
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Rocks View Post
More power to you...if you really wanted that Wellendorff bracelet.
Of course.

I’m just saying some people buy a lot of jewelry too.
Old 31 January 2023, 02:01 AM   #51
codecow
"TRF" Member

Another easy example of something similar where you buy into the brand are low production sports cars like Ferrari and a few other models from other brands like Porsche. You can’t walk in off the street and buy whatever new Ferrari you want.

Even something like a Ford Raptor they sell for more than MSRP. If you want it either you’re paying over MSRP or you’re a customer who is known to the dealer.
Old 31 January 2023, 02:05 AM   #52
hgg43c
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 + 4
for what its worth - i picked up a no date sub at the beginning of the year with no prior purchase history. I registered interest in August and they texted me when it came in - judging from the above it was probably a fluke or a sign of the times - lets see what else comes in this year.
hgg43c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 02:09 AM   #53
Cleveland Rocks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Of course.

I’m just saying some people buy a lot of jewelry too.
Totally, and if you enjoy the jewelry you've purchased that is awesome. I was just emphasizing that I hope people can purchase luxury items they truly want and will use. I've had the good fortune to do that, and I'd hope others would not have to spend on unwanted items to then buy what they truly want.
Cleveland Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 02:32 AM   #54
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyourbikes View Post
They'll be the ones begging for customers soon enough.
The world of pain that these places will face is coming. The economy is in the toilet, and despite governments spending like drunken sailors to hide it, it is bad. The middle class is being decimated.

Pretty soon these arsehole dealers will end up with no customers. The good ones see the writing on the wall and are starting to work with those who have paid their bills long before the hype of the last few years.
Not seeing this. Unfortunately the recent trend over last couple months is for SS sports model prices to go up. (been tracking GMT)
Old 31 January 2023, 03:48 AM   #55
Travis29
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV / BLNR
Let me guess, Rolex flagship in OC?
Travis29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 04:11 AM   #56
Texans93
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 43
I'd purchased a Tudor from an AD that is also a Rolex AD last year. I reached out to my SA inquiring about a Cartier for the wife and putting my name on the "list" for a Rolex. She told me that since I had a Rolex AD in my area that I'd need to have him put me on the "list". She not once asked if I had a Tudor AD nearby when she sold me the BB 58 last year so I'm not sure what her reasoning is now.
She sent several "when will you be here for the Cartier"? texts with pics of various models.
Needless to say, we picked up her Cartier this Saturday at another AD.

The games people play....
Texans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 04:40 AM   #57
onyourbikes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Not seeing this. Unfortunately the recent trend over last couple months is for SS sports model prices to go up. (been tracking GMT)
Prices are going up but nothing is selling. The greys are just trying to manipulate the market and hide from reality.

The economy is in the toilet despite all the denials.
onyourbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 05:17 AM   #58
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Prices are going up but nothing is selling. The greys are just trying to manipulate the market and hide from reality.

Not greys. MODA. I've seen GMT going for 1-2k more now than before. They're all selling.
Old 31 January 2023, 06:31 AM   #59
MinMay
Banned

Quote:

I would love to offer you 25k for a SS Daytona panda please
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 07:27 AM   #60
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Is that Grey asking prices, Grey selling prices, or Grey buying prices?
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote