The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 October 2005, 01:44 AM   #1
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Bored Lets Talk About the Weather.

I spotted this cheery little story a little earlier today. According to the Daily Mail we are headed for the worst winter in a several decades.

Power cuts, gas shortages, dead pensioners frozen solid. Outside fuel starved power stations. Economically challenged unfortunates, begging for a handful of food, to sustain them through the worst winter ever. Even Digby Jones gets quoted saying that businesses will close and jobs will be lost.

The Daily Mail wrote:
Can Britain cope with the big chill?

Britain can expect its coldest winter for at least a decade, the Met Office has warned.

Sustained icy weather threatens to kill thousands and cause travel chaos.

SOURCE: Daily Mail

Scary stuff, especially if you’ve ever seen that film “The Day After Tomorrow” and you’re a keen gardener concerned about over-wintering your dwindling stock of elderly relatives, and prize geraniums.

If I was anybody reading that story I’d have been sh#tt#ng myself. If this Bull shite,or the Bird Flu don’t get you the bloody polar bears will.

So, I checked the Met Office site fully expecting to find banner headlines proclaiming the onset of another Ice Age, probably due to commence 'round about tea-time on Christmas Eve or boxing day.

Imagine my disappointment – sod all of consequence. Seems like the Met Office are not taking today’s Daily Mail report at all seriously.

In a News Release dated 26th September they did make mention of the possibility of a “Colder than average winter.”

This Press Release is based upon the Met Office’s Winter Forecast 2005/6 which rather tamely states that, “The balance of probability is for a winter colder than those experienced since 1995/6.”

Because the previous eight winters have been relatively mild it suggests that this year there is a “prospect of a colder-than-average winter.” It goes on to qualify all of this by saying, “It is not possible to be specific about forecast temperatures or precipitation for winter 2005/6.”

It also states, “Confidence in long-range predictions is relatively low compared to our normal short-period forecasts”

As far as I can see the Met Office certainly don’t make any mention of the 1947, Stalingrad-like winter being inferred by those useless b@st@rds at the Daily Mail.

Bloody journalists, they take a story that’s three weeks old and spin it toward predictions of permafrost, glaciers and woolly mammoths fouling in the bloody High Street .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2005, 01:52 AM   #2
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
The Canadians are probably right now
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2005, 01:59 AM   #3
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS
Right you are Bruce.
Old 20 October 2005, 02:10 AM   #4
Atomic

Yep, hearing anyone from the UK complain about "cold" and "winter" is about as entertaining as listening to a certain Kiwi complain about the cold winter he's just had. Boo-freakin'-hoo, cry me a river!

I live in the world's second coldest national capital (Moscow is the coldest), and I was born in north-western Ontario, on the shores of Lake Superior... Cold? I laugh at it. Ha, ha, haaaa! I've been skiing in -40C and cycling in -30C temperatures. No biggie, if you're dressed for it.

I finally bought a snowblower, so bring it on! No more sprained back from shovelling, particularly the crap at the end of the driveway from the snowplow, which is hard as concrete unless you get out and shovel it right after the plow passes.

On a serious note, Environment Canada has been predicting more extremes in weather, i.e., hotter summers, colder winters (good bye paycheck to the Hydro and Gas companies). Maybe crazy JJ isn't so crazy after all.

Last edited by Atomic; 20 October 2005 at 02:10 AM..
Old 20 October 2005, 02:23 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Yes John worst winter that I can just about remember was 1947
in my little village we had snow around 12ft to 17ft deep.There was
still snow on the higher hills in June.And 1963 and 66 was very cold for the UK
-17 -22 in the north and south wales.Last bad winter was 1989 lot of snow
-15 temp,but never as cold as you Canadian guys.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 20 October 2005, 02:32 AM   #6
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
My wife, the Brit, even said that if you can survive a winter here (around DC), there's nothing the UK can do to phase you! She hasn't been around as long as you have Padi
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2005, 02:47 AM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Very true Bruce when I was 21 for a short time I was driving buses
on route western and eastern Welsh valleys.And thought to myself
then if I can drive these here I could drive buses anywhere in the
world.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 20 October 2005, 03:30 AM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Reading all of the above makes me so very, very happy, you tossers!!

I'm into beautiful spring now with temperatures ranging from 15 ~ 21 C all day long.....hmmmm.....blue skies, fluffy clouds, bright sunshine....what else can I think of.....oh yes, mini-skirts, long legs, plenty of cleavage.....now let me see.....something else......ah yes.......my gold bezel on my YM glimmering in the bright sun.....the blue on the dial shimmering and chaning hues with the changing moods.....oh, the list can go on and on and on and on.....

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2005, 03:56 AM   #9
Atomic

That's okay JJ, enjoy the weather...

In no time at all, I'll be at a local ski resort, likely in Quebec, enjoying the bright sunshine, blue skies and requisit snappy cold weather that goes with it. I'll be linking high-speed, yet graceful turns, down the meticulously groomed slopes. And at lunch time I'll maybe have lunch outside on a sun-drenched deck, warm in my Spyder ski suit and Technica boots, having a beer and a burger and watching all the ski bunnies in their tight one-piece suits, or perhaps those form-fitting ski pants. Oh, did I mention they're most French Canadian ski bunnies?

I'll happily embrace winter and all the fun it brings along with it. At this latitiude you have to or you live a dismal life. Embrace the seasons!
Old 20 October 2005, 06:05 AM   #10
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS
Too true!!

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2005, 06:09 AM   #11
Charlie

Hey Guy's

What is this thing you keep talking about called Winter???
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2005, 06:12 AM   #12
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Hey Guy's

In your case, maybe it's the rainy season?
Old 20 October 2005, 06:12 AM   #13
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Hey Guy's

I don't know yet either, it is damn October 19th and it is over 90 here in Dallas.

Old 20 October 2005, 06:17 AM   #14
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
I don't know yet either, it is damn October 19th and it is over 90 here in Dallas.
Tosser!

It's been raining up here for over seven days straight. Tonight I'm going to Home Depot to get wood for my Ark, and I'll send Mrs. Atomic out to round up the animals.

Last edited by Atomic; 20 October 2005 at 06:18 AM..
Old 20 October 2005, 06:18 AM   #15
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
Tosser!

It's been raining up here for over seven days straight. Tonight I'm going to Home Depot to get wood for my Ark, and I'll send Mrs. Atomic out to round up the animals.
LMAO!! I can't wait for some damn rain!! We are hoping for some weather in the 80's this weekend, oh how I dare to dream.

Old 20 October 2005, 07:37 AM   #16
----

Quote:
I finally bought a snowblower, so bring it on! No more sprained back from shovelling, particularly the crap at the end of the driveway from the snowplow, which is hard as concrete unless you get out and shovel it right after the plow passes.

Well John, good thing you have a snowblower now. I sure appreciated mine last winter........

Charlie - this is what we are talking about......

Old 20 October 2005, 12:27 PM   #17
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Well John, good thing you have a snowblower now. I sure appreciated mine last winter........

Charlie - this is what we are talking about......
Screw that crap, I'd be on the next plane to Hawaii!!

Old 20 October 2005, 08:55 PM   #18
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
Screw that crap, I'd be on the next plane to Hawaii!!
There are days that I'd be right there with you Daren. However, there is something about a sunny winter day with snow crunching under your feet as you walk that is calming.......

The day in that picture, we were just trying to get out of the driveway, which wasn't easy without a couple of hours of work!

By the way, we woke up to our first frost of the season this morning, so it's definitely starting to get colder.
Old 20 October 2005, 10:48 PM   #19
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
[quote=Avalon]There are days that I'd be right there with you Daren. However, there is something about a sunny winter day with snow crunching under your feet as you walk that is calming....... quote]
Yeah, Al, as long as you have nowhere to go in a hurry. I live just far enough north to get the changes of season but not so far that I get snowed in for 6 months of the year. I can tolerate 2-3 days of snow that stops DC in its tracks. But then we have to deal with 3 weeks of ugly black slush until it melts away. And because of the north/south orientation of my house, once the first snow hits our north facing front yard, it stays for 2 months.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2005, 10:48 PM   #20
Atomic

Al, nice rig. How many hp is it? I just got a used 4hp, self-propelled jobbie with five forward speeds and reverse. It's a Canadian Tire brand and the guy I bought it from was in his late 70s, and it's immaculate (buying used stuff from senior citizens is great cuz they take excellent care of the stuff - look at JJ's watches for example!).

Last edited by Atomic; 20 October 2005 at 10:53 PM..
Old 21 October 2005, 02:16 AM   #21
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Yes we oldies tend to look after our things ,a lot better than the
younger generation.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 21 October 2005, 02:33 AM   #22
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
Yes we oldies tend to look after our things ,a lot better than the
younger generation.
Agreed......even the younger guys like me from the older generation!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 21 October 2005, 03:00 AM   #23
----

Quote:
Al, nice rig. How many hp is it? I just got a used 4hp, self-propelled jobbie with five forward speeds and reverse. It's a Canadian Tire brand and the guy I bought it from was in his late 70s, and it's immaculate (buying used stuff from senior citizens is great cuz they take excellent care of the stuff - look at JJ's watches for example!).
Mine's 8 hp, and also a CTC brand. I think mine has 6 forward and 2 reverse speeds - I love 6th gear - ramming speed! You need it for the big drifts!!

I agree that buying stuff from seniors is usually good deal. I bought my lawn tractor from a retiree who had taken very good care of it (14 hp New Holland Ford - the only Ford I'd ever own!) even to the point of waxing the fiberglass body.

LMAO with the JJ comment - so true!
Old 21 October 2005, 03:06 AM   #24
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

...and proud of it, Al!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 21 October 2005 at 03:06 AM..
Old 21 October 2005, 03:20 AM   #25
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Mine's 8 hp, and also a CTC brand. I think mine has 6 forward and 2 reverse speeds - I love 6th gear - ramming speed! You need it for the big drifts!!

I agree that buying stuff from seniors is usually good deal. I bought my lawn tractor from a retiree who had taken very good care of it (14 hp New Holland Ford - the only Ford I'd ever own!) even to the point of waxing the fiberglass body.

Gotta love CTC, eh? Hey hosehead, get me an extra-large, triple-triple, eh?

Yeah, I'm looking forward to fifth gear on the driveway. As you say, "ramming speed!"

When I told jaded-old FIL I got a 4hp, he said 'that's not enough..." Pffftt... he has a 12hp. Did I mention he's a senior citizen too?
Old 21 October 2005, 03:22 AM   #26
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Al and Johnny....the two of you are starting to sound like Tim from Home Improvement......MORE POWER!!! OH OH OH!!!

Old 21 October 2005, 03:25 AM   #27
Atomic

It's crazy. I'm sure 4hp is adequate given it's a two stage snow-thrower.

Hell, my lawn mower is a 6hp... but I only got it cuz the 4hp they sold me was a lemon and I didn't want to chance the same design flaws. But if I was Al and had a riding mower, I'd get the snow-thrower attachment and have a blast on that big driveway (and help the neighbours who don't have a blower).
Old 21 October 2005, 03:32 AM   #28
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

You guys what to get rid of those sissy mowers get a bit of power
under your pedal 110bhp turbo.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 21 October 2005, 03:37 AM   #29
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
You guys what to get rid of those sissy mowers get a bit of power
under your pedal 110bhp turbo.

Sorry Peter, my neck isn't nearly red enough to get into that.
Old 21 October 2005, 09:32 AM   #30
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
But if I was Al and had a riding mower, I'd get the snow-thrower attachment and have a blast on that big driveway (and help the neighbours who don't have a blower).
LMAO!!!