The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 December 2022, 03:15 AM   #1
sxdcfv911
"TRF" Member

5905 Lost its luster

When the 5905 1A was released, I just wasn't moved by the green dial or bracelet but was in the minority. There was a lot of praise for this piece and was selling (listed) in the $160s upon release. Now it's nearly retail or just below just a short time later. Do you think PP is making a large number, or was it all just hype and maybe it has lost its luster?
sxdcfv911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2022, 03:19 AM   #2
HMHM
"TRF" Member

the 5905/1A was essentially a hype exercise by grey dealers because it is made in SS. This was one release which I felt PP were lazy in their design and execution, merely taking a 5905, changing the dial to a hyped colour (green) and taking the Aquanaut's poorly designed steel bracelet then calling it a new product. The 5905P look way better in black with strap but it didn't get the recognition it deserved.
HMHM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2022, 04:07 AM   #3
Vasco
"TRF" Member

I handled the 5905A in the metal. As for the 5711 and 5205R, this dial is a sort of grey where PP added a drop of green. It's subtle and elegant. I think they nailed it on the overall case and dial sides. However, I'm not a fan of the bracelet (like for the 5960A) but I guess it pleased a part of potential clients. Not every model has to please every clients, from every regions.

Price wise, I guess the 2021 5905A was released at a period of time when it was still the watch hype periode. Hence, as HMHM said, it was another opportunity for professionals to make money (like for the classical models which hype period started a few months after the Nautilus/Aquanaut one, in order to cash in a little more). This being said, listed price isn't necessarily sold price. Like "on hold" doesn"t mean there is someone behind either :p

Today, the market has cooled down (quite significantly on some references). The 5905A isn't a Nautilus or an Aquanaut and the hype doesn't work as well.

This being said the 5905 is a great watch and a watch's appeal shouldn't be assessed from listed prices but from what we like in a watch, what it offers, basically.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2022, 06:08 AM   #4
sxdcfv911
"TRF" Member

Agree that all pieces won't appeal to all potential buyers. I do thing green is a trendy dial color. I wonder if anyone has placed this on a black strap- that could make a difference if that's possible.
sxdcfv911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2022, 06:24 AM   #5
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxdcfv911 View Post
I do thing green is a trendy dial color. I wonder if anyone has placed this on a black strap- that could make a difference if that's possible.
Well, the green is certainly less timeless than silver or black. when blue dials came out on several pieces during the 2010's, I remember that a few people said it was just trendy, forgetting that blue was available for the 5070P and even much before that in the Ellipse references. I think that blue is as classical and timeless a color as silver or white. But green is indeed another story. I guess that people having several watches may like to find something different and a green dial might be a right answer when I see these Pateks. Maybe the answer is that green, red are a "niche" for people wanting to go that route can find something available.

As for the strap, I totally agree that it could change the watch drastically, in a very appealing way. I thought the same about a 5172G Salmon dial with black strap. So many things to try in the strap field that can make a watch a totally different model.

For the 5905A though, I would check if, like the 5960A, the case is not "grooved" between the lugs to stabilize the bracelet. It might be visible with a strap.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2022, 10:41 AM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I thought about buying one but a friend I trust told me meh you wouldn't like it. Move on. So I did lol
Old 21 December 2022, 10:51 AM   #7
JC180
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, BLRO, LV, SD
I tried it on and it was really cumbersome and ungainly and the bracelet was just really poor in design. I wanted to like it but just couldn't.
JC180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2022, 04:14 PM   #8
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Agree it’s too big for a dressy watch. Patek’s current non sports < $100k collection is a sort of a mess. Sports lines are better than ever. Even the fabulous 5236p is probably a bit too big.
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2022, 07:21 PM   #9
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by francoamerican View Post
Agree it’s too big for a dressy watch. Patek’s current non sports < $100k collection is a sort of a mess. Sports lines are better than ever. Even the fabulous 5236p is probably a bit too big.
+1

No matter which strap watch in that price range I am looking at a discontinued reference comes to mind that I prefer, such as 5110 instead of 5230 or 3940 instead of 5327. Also not a fan of strap watches sized 40 mm and up but maybe I am just getting old.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2022, 08:21 PM   #10
sigma089
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, GS, PP
Agree, most dress Pateks are at least 2mm too large atm.
sigma089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2022, 10:53 PM   #11
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma089 View Post
Agreed. I tried a 5270p last year, and in terms of size it was like a Rolex GMT. The piece was exquisite, but too big in my estimation. And these watches just keep getting larger. :(
SoylentGreenChi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2022, 09:25 AM   #12
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
I'm in the minority here but I had no problems with the bracelet on my old 5167/1A once I got a 1.5 link. I found it very comfortable, but I do like the bracelet on my 5712 better.

I do think that the size of the watch may be an issue but I'd like to see one in person.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2022, 10:26 AM   #13
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreenChi View Post
Agreed. I tried a 5270p last year, and in terms of size it was like a Rolex GMT. The piece was exquisite, but too big in my estimation. And these watches just keep getting larger. :(

Ok terms of big size for modern Patek that’s only true for most grand comps and sports watches
But you have 5327, 6119, 5196 and the beautiful WT (5230) pieces that recently got axed at 38.5mm all at 39mm and less
5088P indeed a rare bird is also at 38mm. On top of that a bunch of stuff I don’t like such as 5146 etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2022, 10:36 AM   #14
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma089 View Post
Patek watches just wear big to me. Even the newer 6119 hobnail 39mm Calatrava wears like a 41 or 42 to me. The sweet spot for a Patek design dress watch is 37mm. Perhaps, a lot of the added size perception comes from the narrowness of the cases.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2022, 10:39 AM   #15
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreenChi View Post
This watch does wear big compared to the 40mm 5970. The increased empty space on the 5270 dials may add to the larger size perception.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote