The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 1 July 2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Thurnau
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust
Breightling Emergency Question

When you press or release the emergency button/screw, how do people know to come look for you? What happens exactly?
Thurnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2008, 02:46 PM   #2
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
From Wikipedia:

"The Breitling Emergency version contains a radio transmitter for civil aviation use which broadcasts on the 121.5 MHz distress frequency and serves as a back-up for ELT-type airborne beacons. (For military users, Breitling has equipped the Emergency with a miniaturized transmitter operating on the 243 MHz military frequency.) Under normal conditions—flat terrain or calm seas—the signal can be picked up at a range of up to 90 nautical miles (167 km) by search aircraft flying at 20,000 feet (6,000 m). As of 1 February 2009, the Cospas-Sarsat Satellite System will no longer monitor the 121.5/243 MHz frequency; however, the signal transmitted by the Emergency was never strong enough to be picked up by satellite, and Breitling has announced that, as these frequencies will still be monitored by aviation, particularly during the localization phase of a rescue attempt, there are no plans to modify the signal's frequency.[3]

In an incident that demonstrates how the Emergency can be used to save lives, Reuters reports that two British pilots, Squadron Leader Steve Brooks and Flight Lieutenant Hugh Quentin-Smith, crashed their helicopter in Antarctica and were rescued after activating their Breitling Emergency transmitter watches. The two pilots were in their lifeboat when a Chilean Otter aircraft found them after homing in on signals from their watches. [4]

The Emergency is available for customers who do not hold a pilot's licence, but they must sign an agreement stating that they will bear the full costs of a rescue intervention should they trigger the distress beacon. The model was heavily advertised by the Breitling Orbiter 3—both Brian Jones and Bertrand Piccard were wearing the Emergency. Also, Bear Grylls wears an Emergency with yellow face and rubber strap in many episodes of Man vs. Wild."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breitli...ling_Emergency
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2008, 09:21 AM   #3
Mahra

I have been always curious to use it but being grounded to the end of my life scares me a bit.

Mahra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2008, 09:32 AM   #4
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Hahahah yeah not a good idea! I wanted to be a pilot before and was studying all the material etc and going to take ground school / lessons etc and that is when I looked into it. Perfect for private pilots flying Cessna's or Piper aircraft. Also any military pilot flying solo but i'm certain they have some special transmitter that would be top secret or what not but who knows.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote